What's new

CJ7 w/ all the goodies but my frame is shot. What do I swap it all over to?

Drillsmoke

Member Number
Got a 79 cj7 that i have been slowly building (bought it with some of the stuff but have changed most of it at this point). Its a great rig. Right now its got 60's front and rear, a 5.3 lm7, granny low NV4500 and a fully built D300, double beadlocks and sticky 40" SXII's. Nice cage, custom dash, suspension seats, fuel cell blah, blah, blah.... So now that I have it where I want it, I have realized that my stock cj7 frame w/ a bunch of rust repair isn't up to the task, and I would like more wheelbase (currently at 98"). The rig is leaf sprung which I like, but it makes getting it much longer a little difficult. I have a pretty decently built FZJ80 on DOT 37s that at this point is probably more capable than my jeep on sticky 40s. I am attributing this mostly to wheelbase, as everything else on the jeep is actually heavier duty/better suited to hardcore wheeling. So, I need a new frame and longer wheelbase (looking for something around 115-120" and have decided that i should probably just harvest all the parts off the jeep and put them in a longer chassis w/ a good strong frame. I also need 4 seats as I have a toddler and another on the way and dont want to build something that cant accomodate the family (or my rowdy wheeling buds). I am leaning towards buying another 80, stripping all the stuff off of it (spare everything for my current 80) and building a ls swapped leaf sprung 80 on dana 60s. This gets me the room, wheelbase and a bomber frame to build off of. Am I missing something, or is there another platform out there that would be decently cheap/strong to do this with? How do the 3rd gen 4runner frames compare to the 80 frames? Am i being fucking stupid? I don't think I can buy a 4 door jk for what I can get a beat-up 80 for, but maybe there is another platform that would give me what I want, but also be cool and unique? Flame away....

Attachments

• 57C853A3-8E5C-4199-818D-87ED06E37C32_1_105_c.jpeg
    57C853A3-8E5C-4199-818D-87ED06E37C32_1_105_c.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 401
instead of buying a vehicle and using that frame, build the frame. there are few people who have had frame rails 2x4 bent and if you dig around a bit i bet you can find the specs on CJ type of frame.

i mean the 80 would be cool. but a shit ton of work and them frame can have the same rot, they are boxed and can hold the mud and grime.

just a thought. :beer:

Stretch the CJ7 body 15” using the Tracer corners from Genright and have TDK build you a 115” wheelbase CJ7/8 frame.
body is glass, so i have to buy a body to do much to it unfortunately

instead of buying a vehicle and using that frame, build the frame. there are few people who have had frame rails 2x4 bent and if you dig around a bit i bet you can find the specs on CJ type of frame.

i mean the 80 would be cool. but a shit ton of work and them frame can have the same rot, they are boxed and can hold the mud and grime.

just a thought. :beer:
Yeah thats pretty much the only other option. The problem is to have 4 seats I have to do a new cage too, so im looking at swapping everything to a new frame regardless and then also doing a whole new cage. At that point moving to a whole new chassis isn't that much work. I also failed to mention that my body is glass (not a big fan of) so i cant just stretch it to make a lj/cj8 length rig.

oooooooooooooo thats changes things a little,. as much as i like the idea of an 80 LS swapped and such you lost me at leaf springs. link the beast. cut off all the old and start fresh .

this is quite the pickle for sure. :beer:

oooooooooooooo thats changes things a little,. as much as i like the idea of an 80 LS swapped and such you lost me at leaf springs. link the beast. cut off all the old and start fresh .

this is quite the pickle for sure. :beer:
i like leafs as they are simple, and I am a simple man. My cj on leafs rides like a caddy and it is super stable. That's really all that is driving it, also I like the idea of how cheap they are.

good point cheap and simple.
Yeah, the other part of me just says sell the whole rig and buy a shitty ass yota that is already built. But I do like the idea of building something from the ground up. Everything I have built/wheeled I either started but didn't finish, or bought someone elses project and finished it. I am moving now and will have a 4 car detached shop in my backyard so a slow build is now an option (working in my shop at work I cant have things immobile for more than a couple days out of consideration for our shop operations).

Unless you are related to arse_sidewards, I would think that finding an older 4 door Wrangler with a bad motor or similar problem for a decent price wouldn't be all that hard. If you plan to replace the whole drivetrain anyway I wouldn't be looking for a runner and would be looking for one in a junk yard or in the auto parts sections of your local FBMP, CL or Ebay listings.

Unless you are related to arse_sidewards, I would think that finding an older 4 door Wrangler with a bad motor or similar problem for a decent price wouldn't be all that hard. If you plan to replace the whole drivetrain anyway I wouldn't be looking for a runner and would be looking for one in a junk yard or in the auto parts sections of your local FBMP, CL or Ebay listings.
yeah, i found an 80 that needed a motor for 2k a couple weeks ago, just didn't have time to go scoop it. I do suppose a jku frame is likely to be in better shape than a 30 year old 80 frame though... but fuck i dont want a jk, next thing i know people will be throwing little duckies at me when i wheel:clown:

If you just want usable frame rails to build off of, Art Morrison can bend 2x3 and 2x4 the easy and the hard way.

Simple'72CJ would be the one to ask if they'd do entire rails or sell you just the bends.

New metal is always the best metal.

New bent rails, stretch the tub then run corner armor to cover the glass patch.
So how is this easier than stripping an 80 to bare body and tub and then swapping parts over? Either way i am building all new suspension mounts on the frame, building a new cage and redoing all my drivetrain mounting on whatever frame i end up with.

Get the 80, swap your good parts over and sell the glass CJ to help fund the new project.

I dont mind glass work but if you hate it that's enough reason to start over

Get the 80, swap your good parts over and sell the glass CJ to help fund the new project.

I dont mind glass work but if you hate it that's enough reason to start over
Yeah i can see that fiberglass has its place, but i dont think a hardcore eastcoast rig is it. For a Street jeep i wouldnt have a problem w/ it honestly.

Another vote for stretched Jeep with new frame. Could use a YJ frame, build from scratch or there is a company that builds nice HD replacement frames for CJs if you are willing to pay.

Personally, I don't like 4 door suv's for hard core wheeling. To much body, too hard to keep the rear most windows away from trees, and rocks. I far prefer an open rig like a jeep. Plus you already have an 80.

I would Pull the drive train from the CJ, then sell the CJ. I would look for a rust free YJ, stretch the frame and tub, and install your drivetrain.
This is the path I would take. Read my thread on my stretch. I’ll probably do another one some day. Pretty easy to stretch a YJ. The frame is way better than a CJ frame. Tons of support for stretching a YJ from motobilt. No brained for me.

Prices as low as $4099!

Why are you asking us?

You already know what you want to do. Let's get down to the nitty gritty?

So questions:

What is the width of your current axles you want to swap? Spring pad spacing?

How much room do you need for this new family wheeler? How long do you plan to keep it, since your kids will probably out grow a small back seat in a few years.

What type of wheeling do you do? A full size here in the East is a lot of body damage waiting to happen.

How pristine do you want this?

What's your budget?

I would Pull the drive train from the CJ, then sell the CJ. I would look for a rust free YJ, stretch the frame and tub, and install your drive train.

I would Pull the drive train from the CJ, then sell the CJ. I would look for a rust free YJ, stretch the frame and tub, and install your drive train.
The yj frame in stock form is a decent amount stronger than the 79 cj7 frame right? Not opposed to this idea, just dont know shit about wrangler frames. I have only every had CJs and shitbox cherokees.

Why are you asking us?

I guess the intent of the question was really to open up the discussion about if there was another suitable, similar sized vehicle to the 80 series that I could look for that has a good frame to build off of? Hence me asking about 3rd gen 4runners (they are cheaper than 80s and seem pretty bombproof)
You already know what you want to do. Let's get down to the nitty gritty?

So questions:

What is the width of your current axles you want to swap? Spring pad spacing?
67" wms, spring mounts are stock dodge width up front (I think 31.5"), rear are standard cj7 spacing.
How much room do you need for this new family wheeler? How long do you plan to keep it, since your kids will probably out grow a small back seat in a few years.
I usually keep stuff for a while. I really like the size of my current 80, just dont want to hack it all up to do a cage in it. And right now it is still pretty functional on the road, that being said I love the size of it and the wheelbase. My intent is to build something that is comfortable for 4 adults and then just put carseats in the back if I actually get to wheel with the kiddos.

What type of wheeling do you do? A full size here in the East is a lot of body damage waiting to happen.
East coast trails. I wheel mostly at Rausch, GER or The Cove in Gore va, and want to get back to Windrock and check out Kairos in SWVA. My current 80 doesn't have a straight body panel, kinda looks like the coors light cans in the back of most yotas:beer:
How pristine do you want this?
Shitty. no glass, no interior. just body, cage and stereo. pretty much the spirit of a jeep, just not built off of a cj frame.
What's your budget?
The cheaper the better, but honestly doesn't really matter. I tend to buy cheap rigs and slowly build them, and if i wanted to blow wads of cash I would just get a tube chassis from WOD. I actually really like things that look really fucked up and shitty but are built well, so i guess that would translate over to this project.

With all that, I'd suggest a mid size GM SUV, that you SAS and fabricobble your shit into.

Trailblazer, etc. A rear door your kids can use... a big enough back seat for 2 adults and maybe enough room behind that seat.

Cheap as fuck.

Engine and trans will bolt right in. Parts at Autozone, etc.

Biggest issue with a 3rd generation 4runner is Dat booty. Obviously you can move the axle back, but it's not super easy to do clean.

I don't understand why you want to go full body from a jeep, just to knock all the glass out anyway, but if you don't care about body damage, and want the look of a 4 door suv, then go for it.

Your best bet will be anything but a toyota though. Nissan pathfinder, izusu rodeo, mitu montero, ect, should all have a nice boxed frame, but be pennies on the dollar cheaper.

Another one to consider, which might be the lightest of all. Suzuki sidekick/vitara/ geo/chevy tracker. The 99+ body is the se width as a 3rd generation 4runner, but they sit more upright and have much less overhang. I have a body you could have for free.

They also have basically 2x4 frame rails with a nice flat section from firewall to rear axle.

Top Back Refresh