What's new

California flooding and evacs

Add are you good up there? The news was showing flooding and it looked like a large Spa place was underwater... possibly a storage warehouse or something.

Anyhow if anyone needs help or wants to borrow my backhoe hit me up.

Add are you good up there? The news was showing flooding and it looked like a large Spa place was underwater... possibly a storage warehouse or something.

Far as I know yeah we're good. I've been home since the 23rd though and haven't even driven by my shop since then. I would hope one of my employees would call if we were underwater....

Far as I know yeah we're good. I've been home since the 23rd though and haven't even driven by my shop since then. I would hope one of my employees would call if we were underwater....
If you weren't such a dick, they wouldn't be afraid to call you to report the damage. :flipoff2:

20230101_105648.jpg

Is this going to be 82 and 96 all over again...

Interesting I haven't heard anything g about all the burn scar areas...yet. I'm guessing it's going to get messy next week.

Good news is the rain is slowing considerably here in the bay.
this is Cosumnes River at Capps Crossing on North South Road it is in the burn scar
water is black/brown
(Bridge burned in the fire)

we got 12.5 inches of rain in the last 4 days.
a lot, but not near what fell in the 96/97 storm.

for that one we got 84 inches of snow up high right after Christmas, then the following week there were 11 days of rain that dumped water,
snow level was about 10k for that and had places with over 20" rainfall

capps bridge.jpg

Last edited:
MERCED, Calif. (FOX26) —
A portion of Highway 59 in Merced is currently closed due to flooding.
The closure is on Highway 59, between Reilly Road and Sandy Mush Road.
CHP Merced says they estimate the closure to last four to five days and advise drivers to use alternate routes.
5502b3f3-30eb-4a57-8fd2-43cf0d0872ac-large16x9_MERCEDPD.jpg

this is Cosumnes River at Capps Crossing on North South Road it is in the burn scar
water is black/brown
(Bridge burned in the fire)
Out of curiosity, is anyone replanting, or will it be after they log the area? I know S.P.I. will cut beatle kill, is there anything that can be done with burnt trees?

MERCED, Calif. (FOX26) —
CHP Merced says they estimate the closure to last four to five days and advise drivers to use alternate routes.
Think it was just two or three years ago that I drove by there and a whiskey tango trailer park was under water.

Out of curiosity, is anyone replanting, or will it be after they log the area? I know S.P.I. will cut beatle kill, is there anything that can be done with burnt trees?
very little replanting being done at this time.

SPI has been cutting everything on their land since the smoke settled.
there is to much wood for the mills to handle

Forest Service has cut and deked the logs
now they just sit there
decked logs.jpg

Hopefully none of that precious, rare water is just going to run off to the ocean. Will it Californians?

You can make lumber out of the fire killed standing dead... before it rots and the bark beetle moves in. Hence the valid reason to clear cut.

"Bark beetles may attack and kill trees that were injured by fire but might have otherwise survived. These trees may then serve as a source of beetles and attractive semiochemicals (e.g., host volatiles and aggregation pheromones produced by many bark beetle species during host colonization) that attract other beetles into the vicinity, resulting in additional levels of tree mortality."

The blue in wood that you see is rot. That's why Nature Nazis will file a Environmental Impact study suit to be done, that way the timber will rot and become worthless by the time the suit and study is wrapped up.. Nature Nazis are NOT the friend of the forest!
That is also how to put sawmills out of business as it did to us in the Bitterroot Valley. Suits happened to us in Montana a lot.

Pretty sure that’s the one in placerville. I drove by yesterday and this one had floated down the newly formed river.

Plumbing place next door had floating septic tanks
5D24A5A9-09FD-401C-A6C0-D220D8FE7C2B.jpeg

You can make lumber out of the fire killed standing dead... before it rots and the bark beetle moves in. Hence the valid reason to clear cut.

"Bark beetles may attack and kill trees that were injured by fire but might have otherwise survived. These trees may then serve as a source of beetles and attractive semiochemicals (e.g., host volatiles and aggregation pheromones produced by many bark beetle species during host colonization) that attract other beetles into the vicinity, resulting in additional levels of tree mortality."

The blue in wood that you see is rot. That's why Nature Nazis will file a Environmental Impact study suit to be done, that way the timber will rot and become worthless by the time the suit and study is wrapped up.. Nature Nazis are NOT the friend of the forest!
That is also how to put sawmills out of business as it did to us in the Bitterroot Valley. Suits happened to us in Montana a lot.
I'm going to guess reopening mills, expanding, or even building new ones, to use the timber before it rots, is probably next to impossible because of environmental regs.

Well the county showed up about 10:30 am yesterday with a crew of 3 and a bad ass wood chipper. Took them a bit over an hour to clear the street. Unfortunately they wanted no part of cutting the tree off of the car. Really nice crew, I gathered that they were pulling people from all other departments, one guy worked asphalt, the other did office stuff but they came out for some sweet, sweet, OT.

This is how they left it:

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

Got some family and friends over this AM before the rain starts up again and we whittled away at the trunk to lighten it up and then lifted it with a floor jack to take the weight off of the car. Freed the car and found the owner, he drove that pile out of there which was best case scenario. Fucking thing had used needles in the back:mad3::barf:

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

Probably going to hire someone to deal with the rest of the tree but it is secure and the car is gone so I'm happy.

Anybody know if that trunk has any value to the guys who do big furniture slabs? not sure if it's the right type of wood.

I know this thread is about flooding etc. and not my tree drama but a lot of people seemed interested so I thought I'd give an update.

Last edited:
dang, saw that shit on the news last night. Significantly more clearance between the tire and the fender on the news though lol.

There were a bunch of trees down in the road in Downtown Sac still today.

Kind of funny, up here, locals will clear a tree in the road as soon as it falls. In town, the road just stays blocked until a government official moves it.
666EE354-95C3-4F3A-BF42-C38C5A8F1E53.jpeg
EB8E47F0-BBBE-44B4-9AAF-CD76132793DC.jpeg

Point of clarification kind Sir :flipoff2:

No Official in Sacramento ever moved anything. Some crew did or will, but no official. Well, Arnold tried but he was stymied. :laughing:

MERCED, Calif. (FOX26) —

Weak

Thats a clear road in the winter between willows and chico. :laughing:

Hope everyone is doing OK. I can't imagine what some have felt nearly missing a wild fire only to be flooded weeks later.

The flooding in Wilton is bad, but severely exaggerated by the news. A very small amount of homes out here are damaged. It’s more of a severe inconvenience for many.

I spent New Year’s Eve night, rescuing a buddy that attempted to cross water that was 4’ deep.
I got within 150' in the jeep and it was almost 3’ deep.

Attempted to walk my winch cable and strap to the truck and realized i was gonna die, so called fire department. They arrive, i tell them it's too dangerous to extract them and we need to attach my winch and ill pull the truck out. They tell me to get outta the way because this is what they do.

They immediately realized I was correct, asked for me to drive out as far as possible and they’ll hook up the winch. All went smooth. Buddy and his family made it home safe that night.

The freeway was then shutdown due to flooding and everyone was trying to go around it through galt/Wilton. This was severely dangerous because there was 3’ of flooding on every road. Some road had 6’-8’ in places.

I attempted to stop countless cars, trucks and semis to no avail. They would literally drive one after another into the water after each prior failed. There was no controlling the train of ignorance and I knew I was gonna watch someone die, or get myself killed trying to help, so I went home at midnight to my family.

Top Back Refresh