What's new

California flooding and evacs

Spent the day hanging out with my grandparents and installing a sump pump on their back patio, water was creeping towards their back door. Mostly due to them not being able to maintain the property like they used to and some poor drainage decisions.

Got home and got dry and warm and I hear what sounds like gunshots (which is normal) but something about it sounded off. Take a look out front and my Box Alder / Maple tree decided to yeet itself into the street crushing a car.
IMG_1502.JPG

The car was occupied (this dumb bitch keeps trying to live in her car in front of my house and I have run her off a couple of times) but luckily she was able to get out unharmed.

Currently trying to get hold of Sacramento County so they can clear the street but that is a 2 hour adventure and counting.

Oh and for some reason my phone refused to video but her man was trying to drive it out of there which just made angry car noises.

It's some kind of absolutely clapped out luxury car that has been rattle canned black.

Edit: infinity G35? Hard to tell because the tree knocked all of the badges off lmao.

Last edited:
A family member's house up on a small lake between Sacramento and Tahoe is trying to flood. I have been shown pictures throughout the day. The dam on the lake is at capacity and the spillway is not keeping up. Hopefully water doesn't make it too much higher. Fingers crossed!

Spent the day hanging out with my grandparents and installing a sump pump on their back patio, water was creeping towards their back door. Mostly due to them not being able to maintain the property like they used to and some poor drainage decisions.

Got home and got dry and warm and I hear what sounds like gunshots (which is normal) but something about it sounded off. Take a look out front and my Box Alder / Maple tree decided to yeet itself into the street crushing a car.
IMG_1502.JPG

The car was occupied (this dumb bitch keeps trying to live in her car in front of my house and I have run her off a couple of times) but luckily she was able to get out unharmed.

Currently trying to get hold of Sacramento County so they can clear the street but that is a 2 hour adventure and counting.
Scary stuff. I assume you would not be liable in any way. I suppose they'd have to prove negligence by establishing you had documentation from an arborist stating the tree was bound to fall and refused to take action. Far cry so doubt anything comes back at you, but you never know, right?

Scary stuff. I assume you would not be liable in any way. I suppose they'd have to prove negligence by establishing you had documentation from an arborist stating the tree was bound to fall and refused to take action. Far cry so doubt anything comes back at you, but you never know, right?
Yea, going to have to see what insurance says if I can ever get them on the phone.

My advice is to not have any emergencies on New Years Eve during a heavy rain and wind event. :homer:

Whatever you do, don't mention that you ever thought twice about that tree.
It's just a tree, it's always been there...shrug.

As far as the pump at your folks' house, you can't just dig a little ditch to divert the water away from the house? It's what I do, and it's a pain if it's raining pitchforks and :mr-t: babies, but it works.

Whatever you do, don't mention that you ever thought twice about that tree.
It's just a tree, it's always been there...shrug.

As far as the pump at your folks' house, you can't just dig a little ditch to divert the water away from the house? It's what I do, and it's a pain if it's raining pitchforks and :mr-t: babies, but it works.
Copy that on the tree, that's the plan.

It was basically a UNICEF commercial falling from the sky for a while.

The whole patio is patterned bricks, every bit of concrete they ever poured seems to slope towards the house. We will rent a trenching machine this summer and build something proper, They had the pump for their pool so we just did a run of PVC to the front to get them through the next couple of weeks.

Is this going to be 82 and 96 all over again...

Interesting I haven't heard anything g about all the burn scar areas...yet. I'm guessing it's going to get messy next week.

Good news is the rain is slowing considerably here in the bay.
88 was the one I remember. Flooding at Cal Expo that drowned race horses, levee breaches in Natomes, etc., and 30' of snow at Heavenly.

What did the insurance company say?
Complete disinterest. Said if it didn’t hit the house and I was not filing a claim they were not even going to file a report. I’ll deal with whatever the county does not clean up with a good old fashioned family obligation work party.

I doubt the car is insured.

Complete disinterest. Said if it didn’t hit the house and I was not filing a claim they were not even going to file a report. I’ll deal with whatever the county does not clean up with a good old fashioned family obligation work party.

I doubt the car is insured.
Pics of car being devoured by said tree?
I could use a good laugh.

Are you in Citrus Heights or Orangevale, that hood looks familiar?

Yeah, but a whole ton of the area looks kinda like that.

Sun is out and the pavement is dry here in 95742. Forecast is more rain starting Monday night till at least Thursday but the worst is apparently past. I havent seen it rain this hard this long here since 97'. Feb 86' had 10 days measurable day s precip and the Valley filled up after all the reservoirs filled and spilled. It was a near catastrophe for millions.

Apparently nobody…well…me I guess in my neighborhood . Seem no one rakes leaves around here. Streets were flooding, so I cleaned them out.
Last year was doing that and one neighbor came out and told me to stop, said he was fighting with the county to force them to clean it. what ev
Shit, that was our job as kids. We had a big wide intersection at the too of a hill with a big deep low spot on the uphill side for the storm drain. That bitch plugged every storm and we would ha 6-8” deep water 1/2 way across the intersection with any good storm.

IMG_1502.JPG

Looks like the bright side is your car camper problem is solved. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh