Buggy weights, what ya'll got?

No way

Viking Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Under the bus
Post up yer numbers gents.

Mine:
40" sticky treps, shortened mogs, 4 linked, 200+ hp 4cyl GM/Saab 2.3l turbo transverse a/t. Weighing in at about 3300lbs
Screenshot_20231021_123239_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231021_123318_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing the weights/rigs you guys posted makes me feel better about the weight of my full body YJ I am only 140 pounds heavier that the first guy and lighter than Bebop and Chaplins buggies.

Toyota drivetrains must be pretty heavy :eek: I am surprised it weighs that much.

The weight on this one surprises me as well.
well i do still have the factory rear view mirror from 1983 in the cab so thats adds some.

so this is my first attempt at full buggy, and i had it in my mind that i had to keep a section of frame or this would not work, this section of frame is fucking over kill. i mean over kill, i bet i have 150 pounds of extra steel in the frame. that could have been redone . back in 2014 i had to splice rusty old with new and i over did it. so there is quite a bit of extra frame weight there. plus alot of tubes. double b pillar and a bunch of extras. 1/2 maybe 5/8 inch skid plate for tcases,

know what i know know i would do the construction alot differnt, but i cant argu with the results at all, it far exceeded all my expectations for sure.

now i am pulling the toyota drive train and going LS, so there is that. lol

1667304289367.png

1667304346126.png

Right at 6k, thats 350/sm465/205/205,60/14bolt, steel 3/8" wall links, driveshafts, a set of spare rear shafts, a set of spare front shafts, 4 seats, 2 rear storage cans with fluids and recovery gear, air tank, and full engine and belly skid. Also is a 2" cage. 40" nittos on beadlocks
DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0245.JPG

Old school doubler cases (203/205 or similar) seem stupid heavy
I think there's more weight savings in the engine. Back then everyone had an iron headed tree-fiddy with iron brackets and iron manifolds. Now everyone has an LS with aluminum everything and headers.

I don't think modern trans and transfer case combos are that much lighter than the 4spd+203+205 combos. NVG271s and the like are what, 10-15lb ligher than a 205. Sure the Ecobox weighs nothing compared to the 203 but the 4L80E that's in front of it weighs a lot more than that old 4spd did.

There was a weight thread in the previous forum.

someone wants to start this ?

I don't mind weighing what I have in the shop.

4l80e is heavier than a 465?

I guess the amount of fluid in an auto trans rig with a good cooler probably ads up quite a bit.

google says a sm465 is 175lbs and a 4l80 is 178lbs.

Sure, you got to add cooler and lines but it's not that far off.

On the other hand an atlas is 130lbs, while a np205 is 140. And with a doubler it more than makes up for the weight difference between a 4l80 and sm465

There was a weight thread in the previous forum.

someone wants to start this ?

I don't mind weighing what I have in the shop.
I have a ton of weights on things. The biggest problem with weight threads though is how people weighed stuff. Not everyone leaves the same parts on their axles/engines, etc. People really need to post a picture to accompany weights in my opinion.

On the other hand an atlas is 130lbs, while a np205 is 140. And with a doubler it more than makes up for the weight difference between a 4l80 and sm465

Your Atlas weight is way high. Mine weighed 103Lbs as delivered off the top of my head, but I can double check my notes later. I got people to post a pretty complete inventory of weights of all the aftermarket transfercases on the Midnight Metalworks Facebook page a while back when I was deciding on a transfercase for my buggy.

agreed
And the goal isn't to get a super duper accurate weight, rather a ballpark.

Top Back Refresh