What's new

Bud Light partners with trans activist Dylan Mulvaney for March Madness

From Frank, regarding Corona:

somebody changed wiki, but that statement is incorrect.

On June 12, 2008, The Wall Street Journal stated that Anheuser-Busch InBev, which owned a non-controlling 50% stake in the company, might attempt to acquire the remaining 50%. On June 29, 2012, it was announced that Anheuser-Busch InBev would acquire the remaining 50% stake for an all-cash price of $20.1 billion. On January 31, 2013, the US Department of Justice filed an antitrust suit in an attempt to prevent the buyout. The matter was settled and the two companies merged in June 2013, with the transfer of all United States rights to Constellation Brands. As a result, all of the company's brands are made (in Mexico) by an unrelated company. In the United States, Grupo Modelo brands are distributed by Constellation Brands.

Do you realize that 4 out of 5 trades on the market have zero human input? Algo’s man. No emotion.

Well, I'm a boomer and here's some additional intel on programmed trading. Because it's even more aggressive than you might think.

Companies like Goldman employ what I guess you would call nanosecond trading. The algorithms react to minute fluctuations and can anticipate them (up or down) as well. They even utilize custom hardware that minimizes the length of the circuitry so that the devices latency is reduced to the absolute minimum. This micro-trading is just basically a capability that prints millions of dollars a day out of thin air.

Now, back on the day, and this is what the Grump was likely referring to, the OG trading latencies were on a human scale. Traders waited for the ticker tape to read what was happening and then phone calls were required to execute a trade.

Those days are long gone and the individual, human investor is severely outclassed when the big players are operating at the nanosecond level.

nanosecond
With the boom of the internet and using it for trading, trading companies bought all the buildings as close to the Trading floor as one could get. And massively upgraded anything that had to do with increasing computing power and internet speed. Oversized electric, latest, greatest and largest net cables, etc. All in an attempt to gain a geodesic advantage to recveive/send trading information faster than the next corp. To get that 0.000000001s advantage, maybe it wasn't nano back then. But it is now and the trading computers/stations no longer have to be directly across the street to gain the speed advantage.

Reactions: DMG
Beer has a season(s) for a large part of consumers*. Comparing numbers at the start of summer to the end of fall is ludicrous. Look at charts beyond one year. They are consistent, rise in May, fall in the fall, get another bump for the winter holidays.

InBev outpaced DOW massively up until 2017/18. Start of 4th quarter 2016 saw a sharp dive, but stayed consistently above. What caused the nose dive? I dunno, not in the beer world. What happened then in 2017/18 that they really fell of pace and 180'd? Not just under performing, but going the opposite direction. Their seasons were still there, but not the year over year growth. 2020-22 screwed things up a little more, but didn't change the trends too much.

Just before the Dylan can, they were on their typical spring rise and set to show some good growth. Immediately, they stagnated. Not moving much for a while. Until dumb people said dumb things, namely the VP. And it went full on dump after double downs and piss poor marketing timing. This is the time frame to look at year over year.

*The drinking habits of winter people here most likely aren't too hindered by bad weather, but we are not the majority.

Well, I'm a boomer and here's some additional intel on programmed trading. Because it's even more aggressive than you might
I have seen estimates that by 2030 less than 1/2 % of trading will be conducted by retail investors. I think we are closer to than than stated.

Those days are long gone and the individual, human investor is severely outclassed when the big players are operating at the nanosecond level.
You damn Boomers. Always living in the past. Bet you reacted the same way when the steam carriage replaced your horse and buggy. :flipoff2::flipoff2::lmao:

I keep seeing all this doom and gloom about how algos and now more recently AI are going to replace all the hoomans and the rules have changed and we are all fucked.

Yet there are still plenty of respected traders making a (good) living using methods that have been valid for decades or centuries. Wykoff postulated his market theories in 1880 ish using daily or weekly charts. Those theories are just as valid on a 2 min or 5 min chart and are used by hundreds if not thousands of day traders every single day.

What has changed is that the markets are far more accessible to the man on the street than they were in the past. Was almost impossible to scalp trade and be successful when commissions were $49.95 per trade, now thanks to low/no commissions and Robinhood the financially clueless are able to lose their money with ease. I welcome those suckers to the market. :grinpimp:

With the boom of the internet and using it for trading, trading companies bought all the buildings as close to the Trading floor as one could get. And massively upgraded anything that had to do with increasing computing power and internet speed. Oversized electric, latest, greatest and largest net cables, etc. All in an attempt to gain a geodesic advantage to recveive/send trading information faster than the next corp. To get that 0.000000001s advantage, maybe it wasn't nano back then. But it is now and the trading computers/stations no longer have to be directly across the street to gain the speed
I am talking about something different. The largest trading organizations have custom hardware that is proprietary where the servers and the components on the circuit boards are positioned as closely as possible because they are trading in a landscape where the speed of light is a major issue. Yes all the other wiring and someone is as short as possible and there is more to it than that. if you think that just because you have an Internet connection and some trading software that you are on an even playing field you are sadly mistaken.

I have seen estimates that by 2030 less than 1/2 % of trading will be conducted by retail investors. I think we are closer to than than stated.

You damn Boomers. Always living in the past. Bet you reacted the same way when the steam carriage replaced your horse and buggy. :flipoff2::flipoff2::lmao:

I keep seeing all this doom and gloom about how algos and now more recently AI are going to replace all the hoomans and the rules have changed and we are all fucked.

Yet there are still plenty of respected traders making a (good) living using methods that have been valid for decades or centuries. Wykoff postulated his market theories in 1880 ish using daily or weekly charts. Those theories are just as valid on a 2 min or 5 min chart and are used by hundreds if not thousands of day traders every single day.

What has changed is that the markets are far more accessible to the man on the street than they were in the past. Was almost impossible to scalp trade and be successful when commissions were $49.95 per trade, now thanks to low/no commissions and Robinhood the financially clueless are able to lose their money with ease. I welcome those suckers to the market. :grinpimp:
Your reply makes absolutely no sense. Nowhere did I pine for the good old days of tickertape and telephone calls. What I did was to highlight a capability that exists that the vast majority of investors have absolutely no knowledge of.

And this boomer helped that come about. I made a lot of money as an early employee of a middleware start up that fundamentally changed the way trading was performed as well as the dozens of subscribers that require information on every trade in sequence, with guaranteed delivery, and infinitesimal latency.

Of course there is still money to me made in the stock market by the individual investor. But stop puffing out your chest about how cool you or anyone else can be with it when there are firms that perform billions of trades each second, each contributing some incredibly small number(a decimal point and a whole lot of zeros). Each of these nano trades yields a tiny tiny sum but it all adds up quite nicely for them.

Edit: let’s revisit your admiration for a five minute window. One second is to 1 billionth of a second as one second is to 33 years. Five minutes is going back centuries.

And this boomer helped that come about. I made a lot of money as an early employee of a middleware start up that fundamentally changed the way trading was performed as well as the dozens of subscribers that require information on every trade in sequence, with guaranteed delivery, and infinitesimal latency period
What year range? Just wondering how much of that tech package is still close to bleeding-edge.

Well, I'm a boomer and here's some additional intel on programmed trading. Because it's even more aggressive than you might think.

Companies like Goldman employ what I guess you would call nanosecond trading. The algorithms react to minute fluctuations and can anticipate them (up or down) as well. They even utilize custom hardware that minimizes the length of the circuitry so that the devices latency is reduced to the absolute minimum. This micro-trading is just basically a capability that prints millions of dollars a day out of thin air.

Now, back on the day, and this is what the Grump was likely referring to, the OG trading latencies were on a human scale. Traders waited for the ticker tape to read what was happening and then phone calls were required to execute a trade.

Your reply makes absolutely no sense. Nowhere did I pine for the good old days of tickertape and telephone calls. What I did was to highlight a capability that exists that the vast majority of investors have absolutely no knowledge of.

And this boomer helped that come about. I made a lot of money as an early employee of a middleware start up that fundamentally changed the way trading was performed as well as the dozens of subscribers that require information on every trade in sequence, with guaranteed delivery, and infinitesimal latency.

Of course there is still money to me made in the stock market by the individual investor. But stop puffing out your chest about how cool you or anyone else can be with it when there are firms that perform billions of trades each second, each contributing some incredibly small number(a decimal point and a whole lot of zeros). Each of these nano trades yields a tiny tiny sum but it all adds up quite nicely for them.

Edit: let’s revisit your admiration for a five minute window. One second is to 1 billionth of a second as one second is to 33 years. Five minutes is going back centuries.

While you may have had some role in those systems, it's pretty clear from your posts that you don't have a clue how they work or what's actually going on.

when there are firms that perform billions of trades each second
The highest volume stocks only trade a few dozen million shares a day. Nasdaq averages less than 5 billion shares TOTAL per day.

You're full of shit.

_nc_ohc=3POjwFpmaS8AX-Wh9SB&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

While you may have had some role in those systems, it's pretty clear from your posts that you don't have a clue how they work or what's actually going on.

The highest volume stocks only trade a few dozen million shares a day. Nasdaq averages less than 5 billion shares TOTAL per day.

You're full of shit.
OK whatever you say

What year range? Just wondering how much of that tech package is still close to bleeding-edge.
Everything has moved on, naturally. But the core concepts introduced at that time are still relevant.

I am talking about something different. The largest trading organizations have custom hardware that is proprietary where the servers and the components on the circuit boards are positioned as closely as possible because they are trading in a landscape where the speed of light is a major issue. Yes all the other wiring and someone is as short as possible and there is more to it than that. if you think that just because you have an Internet connection and some trading software that you are on an even playing field you are sadly mistaken.
FFS welcome to 1985.

FFS welcome to 1985 Boomer

I don't think any of us will ever see Transheuser Bush ever recover from this, people who drink Bud Light went on to another brand and won't go back no matter how much they spend on marketing. Good job everybody!!

I don't think any of us will ever see Transheuser Bush ever recover from this, people who drink Bud Light went on to another brand and won't go back no matter how much they spend on marketing. Good job everybody!!

When has such a boycott been successful long term?

When has such a boycott been successful long term?

If it gets them to stop picking sides in the culture war, it is successful long term.

As far as financially, that depends on your definition of long term.

They are literally giving it away and I'll never drink it again. I had been drinking it from day 1.

They may go full on woke to embrace the customers that remain.

Reactions: DMG
If it gets them to stop picking sides in the culture war, it is successful long term.

Not gonna be easy when Blackrock, et al, control the capital. They are pushing agendas that cultivate their long-term profitability and power.

Not sure what can be done about that - what, don't they control something like $17 trillion? That's a lot of power. Prolly deserves it's own thread.

Not gonna be easy when Blackrock, et al, control the capital. They are pushing agendas that cultivate their long-term profitability and power.

Not sure what can be done about that - what, don't they control something like $17 trillion? That's a lot of power. Prolly deserves it's own thread.
smells like commie talk designed to build governmental power
starts with 'controlling the corporations' and grows from there, and only in the direction which is limitations on the public face but anticompetitive legislation deeper down in the meat of it.

What's the universal with huge corpos? They're slow, stagnant and therefore easily killed by nimble startups. Unless they grow to the point of receiving state privilege, then their reign is indefinite.

smells like commie talk designed to build governmental power
starts with 'controlling the corporations' and grows from there, and only in the direction which is limitations on the public face but anticompetitive legislation deeper down in the meat of it.

What's the universal with huge corpos? They're slow, stagnant and therefore easily killed by nimble startups. Unless they grow to the point of receiving state privilege, then their reign is indefinite.
I'm wondering if it is not the other way around. The uber-corps supercede .gov. They'll control what gets funded. They'll own everything.

Elegant strategy: destroy a corporation and/or industry. Buy it for cheap. Now Big Daddy owns all the chips. .gov and corps - chicken and egg.

Didn't this hit the dairy industry some years ago? Independents flushed out? Now investment companies and the Chinese are buying up US farmland.

Netherlands farmers getting shut down. Danish dairy farmers, too.

It's the logical end game just as when a Walmart came to town that shut down all the downtown shopkeepers. Just it's now on a global scale.

Not good.

I'm wondering if it is not the other way around. The uber-corps supercede .gov. They'll control what gets funded. They'll own everything.

Elegant strategy: destroy a corporation and/or industry. Buy it for cheap. Now Big Daddy owns all the chips. .gov and corps - chicken and egg.
Competition can only be truly kept at bay through use of force, who has the monopoly on use of force?

government power enables monopolies to outlast their natural limitations, remove their ability to force themselves on society and they fall apart as soon as they can't organize their resources as well as smaller organizational units

Top Back Refresh