What's new

Bought a pos riding mower

Look like user error!

Pro tip, bypass the seat safety switch and put it in gear and let it mow over crap. Steer as needed as you walk next to it, just like with overgeared Toyota :rainbow:

I did it to mow down bunch of thorn weeds in my yard.

Look like user error!

Pro tip, bypass the seat safety switch and put it in gear and let it mow over crap. Steer as needed as you walk next to it, just like with overgeared Toyota :rainbow:

I did it to mow down bunch of thorn weeds in my yard.

Mine has exactly zero safety shit. Which is why it still flipped over after I jumped off :laughing:

Also, I ride it out like a man when I'm mowing over dumb shit :flipoff2:

My hopes weren't very high for this thing after the tarp blew off sometime during winter. Went to put the trickle charger on and bumped it anyway. Fired up right away :lmao:

20220515_123347.jpg
20220515_123836.jpg

been few days. Did it started??

Havent messed with it yet

Every lawn tractor I've had that I treat like complete garbage keeps running like a champ. It's like they get off on being abused. :lmao:

Ya, I just figured with no hood all winter water would find its way in somewhere, but last year was all good.:laughing:

Made a "will it start" video, just need to edit it.

Added to the fleet of pos mowers. :homer:

This was free.99. "Ran great last week, now it won't start and smokes"

20230519_200724.jpg

5 min diagnosis makes me think it may have 2 stroke mix, and feels hydrolockedish. Checked oil, and it was full alright :lmao:

20230519_200730.jpg

Flipped it over and dumped it out into a drain pan. Shit looks wierd, like green and pretty thick looking for engine oil. Maybe someone added a little gear oil in or mix oil? :homer:

20230519_201105.jpg

After dumping the oil out, it definitely turned over easier. Pulled the plug and cleaned it with brake clean, but still didn't want to fire. Figured I'd let it sit and mess with it later.

So anyone got info on going thru the transaxle on the sears in post #1?

Mine is losing lockup and sometimes I have to kick the clutch to get it to pull.
Can't find who made them anywhere on the net.
I know that there is someone who knows on here...

Mine is losing lockup and sometimes I have to kick the clutch to get it to pull.
pretty sure its just a belt driven trans. might have to clean and lube your linkage.

Or adjust the tensioner idler pulley in a bit to take up the belt slack.

I'm purty sure I've done all the external stuff, the issue is inside the hydro system.
I may need to flush out the hydrostatic fluid (what is in there?) and see how it acts...

This one? If you have the exact model number you can probably get the right diagram (this is for a 1991):
PartsTree - Home of OEM Parts for Outdoor Power Equipment
full.png

Aaron Z

Reactions: Clb
I'm purty sure I've done all the external stuff, the issue is inside the hydro system.
I may need to flush out the hydrostatic fluid (what is in there?) and see how it acts...
if it's got a tuff torque style transaxle the filters plug and then it doesn't make pressure.
otherwise the variable displacement pump dealio is worn the fuck out.

IMG_1167.jpeg
This is my mower
I use it as a miniature bush hog .

Wish I could figure out how to put taller tires on it so it wouldn’t get stuck so easily

Best part about it is the separate clutches for forward and reverse .I think Yazoo uses the forward and reverse clutch from of some kind of lathe

Push the lever forward and it goes forward . Pull it back and it goes backward .

Thanx :smokin:

now to grenade the sheet metal to see the transaxle better.
I have a disk brake on mine but don't see one on the schematic...

This is my mower
I use it as a miniature bush hog .

Wish I could figure out how to put taller tires on it so it wouldn’t get stuck so easily

Best part about it is the separate clutches for forward and reverse .I think Yazoo uses the forward and reverse clutch from of some kind of lathe

Push the lever forward and it goes forward . Pull it back and it goes backward .
that's neat
been thinking about getting an old swather to stick a few riding mower decks on the front of

sometimes you can sneak the filter out the top, sometimes they need split for service.
ID the transaxle. Should have a tag on it somewhere.

250B17EC-EDBF-4153-BBE3-37A07B0C785B.png

Fuckin “collectors” shit doesn’t even run as it “needs” a new distributor, he might take a grand for it, says “it’s worth 6500$” if it ran 4cyl gas front mid and rear pto. Way more machine than I need anyway. Number visible for anyone interested.
Holy shit, we had a Wheel Horse D250. That thing probably was actually about 6500 when new back in 82. Dad did not appreciate coming home and finding me mowing in fourth gear doing 25 mph across the yard.

Should be a sticker with a model and serial number, post that (or look it up on that site and there may be a diagram of your actual transmission available.

Aaron Z

I will
BUT This thing is +20 y.o.:eek:
My mower shop guy (sharp kid) couldn't I.D. it, he thought mtd..
Nothing to identify the mfg on it just sears like the pics in post #1

Looks like the same bodywork as MTD. ID sticker should be on the bottom of the seat. This is a '91 12hp. 131-650F000. I think the 18hp would be 131-670G000.

MTD.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh