What's new

Bought a pos riding mower

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
So instead of spending $250 on a brand new generic push mower for my 50 sq ft of grass, I spent $200 on this.
IMG_20210519_140822.jpg
IMG_20210519_140814.jpg

The rear ag tires got me. Just incase I gotta mow in mud, right? :laughing:

It will run if you hook cables right to the starter, it drives and cuts grass. So I figured I can work with that. Kinda runs like shit, well not bad, just won't idle, hoping that's just the old gas. Guy said it hadn't ran since about August and the gas was probably twice as old as that.

I figured worst case I can wire in a Ford starter solenoid and my own key/button.

Not sure why I posted here, maybe so when it breaks I can come here for help since I'm totally clueless on these.

So instead of spending $250 on a brand new generic push mower for my 50 sq ft of grass, I spent $200 on this.
IMG_20210519_140822.jpg
IMG_20210519_140814.jpg

The rear ag tires got me. Just incase I gotta mow in mud, right? :laughing:

It will run if you hook cables right to the starter, it drives and cuts grass. So I figured I can work with that. Kinda runs like shit, well not bad, just won't idle, hoping that's just the old gas. Guy said it hadn't ran since about August and the gas was probably twice as old as that.

I figured worst case I can wire in a Ford starter solenoid and my own key/button.

Not sure why I posted here, maybe so when it breaks I can come here for help since I'm totally clueless on these.
LS swap it and you're gtg.

another option is push button wired up to the solenoid already there to bypass the other stuff

The solenoids on cheap lawn equipment are shit. The key switches are pretty generic. I'd short the solenoid and see if it works (it won't). I would definitely get a ford solenoid to replace it vs. a factory-type one. IF the solenoid, through some miracle of magic still works, yes, suspect the Murphy switches. Or push-button it. If all the Murphy switches and solenoid are operating correctly and you want a key switch, they're pretty universal and cheap. All the ones you can get pretty much everywhere are the same quality.

Craftsman...you did OK...the tires are worth that, look new. The carb likely just needs cleaning.

Ditch all the safety's and it will start. There should be one on the seat, the clutch, and the "pto" lever
That's the plan, I wanted a key still with the little ones around though. Grabbed a generic ignition on the way home.
Or just try sitting on it with the clutch in and jiggle the pto handle while turning the key
another option is push button wired up to the solenoid already there to bypass the other stuff

Not a bad idea
The solenoids on cheap lawn equipment are shit. The key switches are pretty generic. I'd short the solenoid and see if it works (it won't). I would definitely get a ford solenoid to replace it vs. a factory-type one. IF the solenoid, through some miracle of magic still works, yes, suspect the Murphy switches. Or push-button it. If all the Murphy switches and solenoid are operating correctly and you want a key switch, they're pretty universal and cheap. All the ones you can get pretty much everywhere are the same quality.

Good to know, solenoid is new, but guy couldn't figure it out.
Craftsman...you did OK...the tires are worth that, look new. The carb likely just needs cleaning.

Signature 2000?

3 tires are new, 1 is old old but hold air.
Needs more straps
Had them, so why not. Dot says 4 separate tie downs for wheeled vehicles :flipoff2:

If it makes you feel better I use the same utv straps for my 2500lb samurai :laughing:

Watch the brakes on it! The brakes on mine just took a dump and nearly sent me over the bank...LOL

I have a craftman with that same tire set up
Previous owner lived on a hill, dirt was clay. Those turf tires were slicks then it got more than dew.

those tires are way neat

your price however is not, mowers are free, like snow blowers
Been meaning to weld the rear on mine for the last... long time
Ain't got round to it

oh, toss a soup can over the gas cap, those ones take on rain water

Pretty sure I have the same mower sitting at my parents house. Kind of a ran when parked, drove it where it's parked deal.

Let me know if there is some unobtainium shit you need.

So ended up putting a Ford solenoid on it and it works. All I did is hook a wire from + on bat to key and key to solenoid signal wire. It seems to run fine. Should I hook any thing else up?

Seem to be running slightly better, I dumped a gallon of vp ethanol free to dilute the old gas :laughing:

pretty impressive on the hill :lmao:

IMG_20210519_191802.jpg

Being 850 miles from home, I only brought some tools. No large step bit to make the key fit :laughing:

IMG_20210519_175047.jpg

those tires are way neat

your price however is not, mowers are free, like snow blowers
Been meaning to weld the rear on mine for the last... long time
Ain't got round to it

oh, toss a soup can over the gas cap, those ones take on rain water
You can get running riding mowers for free?

I figured the welded rear would pretty much eliminate turning.

Even free shit cost money in commiefornia. :laughing:

Bought this in Sandpoint, ID. But you're right, it would probably be $600 in ca, and I live in the cheapest part of CA.

Pretty sure I have the same mower sitting at my parents house. Kind of a ran when parked, drove it where it's parked deal.

Let me know if there is some unobtainium shit you need.
The plastic shift gate deal and the left side belt guard would be nice if you want to part with them.

You can get running riding mowers for free?

I figured the welded rear would pretty much eliminate turning.

around here you can, i've had a 42" craftsman out back that runs great, deck rebuilt etc. i cant give it away. got another decent john deere hydrostat drive with bad head gasket but evrything else good, same story.

i know i can get rid of them if i post them on fb or cl but i dont want those people around my place. i'm about to throw them in the next scrap run

generally just need the bowl dropped off the carb and some brake clean shot through the main jet
get a fuel shutoff and use that as your kill switch
after doing that I never have to clean any of my carbs and I run cheap e10

around here you can, i've had a 42" craftsman out back that runs great, deck rebuilt etc. i cant give it away. got another decent john deere hydrostat drive with bad head gasket but evrything else good, same story.

i know i can get rid of them if i post them on fb or cl but i dont want those people around my place. i'm about to throw them in the next scrap run
That's exactly it, you might be able to get one free from an uncles buddy, but not on Craigslist. Not usually at least.

$200 isn't shit anymore anyway. The only thing I wonder is if I should have got the lawn tractor with the snow blower for $750 :laughing:

That's exactly it, you might be able to get one free from an uncles buddy, but not on Craigslist. Not usually at least.
All spring they show up on the rich areas CL, "ran when parked last winter". You gotta catch the ad in the first 30min-1hr but they're definitely available.

They usually just need shit removed from the carb.

My yard mule, I thought I had the last one in the prk...
Been told it is an mtd under the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_20190202_115613.jpg
    IMG_20190202_115613.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 148
There’s an old wheel horse down the road I’ve been meaning to inquire about, then I can sell the green and yellow pos.

The plastic shift gate deal and the left side belt guard would be nice if you want to part with them.

I think anything plastic might be toast at this point but I'll take a look next time I'm down that way.

I'll take a look, it's been years since I've looked closely at it.

Those tires will help if you plan to drive up those hills. The regular turf tires wouldn’t make it. And I have got 5 free riding mowers in the last two years.
2 off of Craigslist. One I sold not running for parts, 1 I spent 15 min cleaning the carb and it ran great needed some adjustment in the trans. Sold it as the buyer wanted the engine for his.
2 off the Nextdoor app. One needed a carb clean and it was good. The other had some other engine issues. I needed the space before I had time to work on it sold it for parts.
1 from a friend of a friend. Friend said his friend was getting rid of mower and he knows I always tinker with stuff so he said I could have it. 30 min tinkering with carb and unfucking the PO fixes.
Free mowers are out there but you have to be a bit lucky and usually do a little tinkering. For $200 you did fine.

Top Back Refresh