What's new

Bought a pos riding mower

I knew it was going to be more, I figured I was OK with $50-65ish, assuming it not being from Amazon, it's probably a better product :laughing:

Tractor stuff can get expensive, especially if it's got that certain green paint on it. I once had to pick up an alternator for a big JD, but I looked no different than any pick up unit, the only difference was 24v. Deere wanted $1200+ a core. :barf:
I had a Masseyt 1010 and it turned out that it used the same starter as a 90's Nissan sentra. $60 from rock auto or $200+ from the tractor dealer.

I knew it was going to be more, I figured I was OK with $50-65ish, assuming it not being from Amazon, it's probably a better product :laughing:

Tractor stuff can get expensive, especially if it's got that certain green paint on it. I once had to pick up an alternator for a big JD, but I looked no different than any pick up unit, the only difference was 24v. Deere wanted $1200+ a core. :barf:
I mess with both green and orange.

Little ones, but you figure the smaller parts would be cheaper.

Their not.

I mess with both green and orange.

Little ones, but you figure the smaller parts would be cheaper.

Their not.
Friend of mine has a ~40hp deere, welded on tre went out on the end of the steering cyl. He went in thinking they would have one that you weld on yourself, nope, whole cyl......$1200:homer:

He called me asking about welding something on and using a thread on tre. He probably had less than $100 into a larger, adjustable, replaceable tre.

Friend of mine has a ~40hp deere, welded on tre went out on the end of the steering cyl. He went in thinking they would have one that you weld on yourself, nope, whole cyl......$1200:homer:

He called me asking about welding something on and using a thread on tre. He probably had less than $100 into a larger, adjustable, replaceable tre.
I've had friends with JD's run into that same problem before and I modified ther cylinders the same way you mentioned.

When JD designs stuff I actually wonder if they have a team of common sense techs come in to examine the design and have them point out stuff that is fixable by the end user and point out how it can be re-designed to be a money grab instead....... Seriously

I've had friends with JD's run into that same problem before and I modified ther cylinders the same way you mentioned.

When JD designs stuff I actually wonder if they have a team of common sense techs come in to examine the design and have them point out stuff that is fixable by the end user and point out how it can be re-designed to be a money grab instead....... Seriously
Sounds about right

JohnDeere has had an ongoing battle against the right to repair for the end user. GM and JD both want to really fuck you in the ass on the service side and are legally pursuing that avenue.

brotip, get the dirt cheap 12v version and swap your 24v reg over onto it

They probably have tooling designers in on it.

As a Toolmaker I have come to believe tooling designers all hate toolmakers.

“We could put the bolts and punches so their all accessible from one side, but it would look more desingy if we made the toolmakers flip the die over 87 times to remove one punch”.

250B17EC-EDBF-4153-BBE3-37A07B0C785B.png

Fuckin “collectors” shit doesn’t even run as it “needs” a new distributor, he might take a grand for it, says “it’s worth 6500$” if it ran 4cyl gas front mid and rear pto. Way more machine than I need anyway. Number visible for anyone interested.

That's a pretty special machine actually, but parts are unobtainium because it's a german built tractor with a renault engine. I'd buy it for $250 not running in a heartbeat, but even in fully operable shape it's still not worth more than $1500 in that condition.

I had a Masseyt 1010 and it turned out that it used the same starter as a 90's Nissan sentra. $60 from rock auto or $200+ from the tractor dealer.
The starter on my Case 480 is starting to intermittent need to be tapped to get to turn. I am going to try and recondition it myself. It is a denso starter currently.

The starter on my Case 480 is starting to intermittent need to be tapped to get to turn. I am going to try and recondition it myself. It is a denso starter currently.
Springvale auto electric
Real deal starter alternator shop, He might ship the parts to ya.
+1 (717) 244-6857

That's a pretty special machine actually, but parts are unobtainium because it's a german built tractor with a renault engine. I'd buy it for $250 not running in a heartbeat, but even in fully operable shape it's still not worth more than $1500 in that condition.
Yeah, hence my comment about “collectors” it’s worth $500 to me. $$$$ to him so he gets to keep it.

Springvale auto electric
Real deal starter alternator shop, He might ship the parts to ya.
+1 (717) 244-6857

Yeah, hence my comment about “collectors” it’s worth $500 to me. $$$$ to him so he gets to keep it.
I was looking at it from a collectors standpoint. I kind of dabble in garden tractor collecting and attend some festivals and even in those circles it's not going to bring more than $2000. He "(don't) know what he has!"

Amazon starter came today, turns over super fast and fires right up.

It will not idle with the throttle all the way down. Not a huge deal, but I'm curious if something is still up. Idle jet clogged?

So last time I ran this thing it was kinda acting funny, like the drive belt was slipping. It sat for a while and now it won't move.

Belt from engine to jack shaft deal is super loose. The pulley that it engages looks like a variable speed deal, but I can't see how it moves. I looks all the way out, as in smallest/fastest speed.

Edit: wd40 and a hammer did it

Is this the "7 speed" deal on the left side? Yes

Any idea how this works? Just like I thought

Do I just need new belts? Also probably

Is it Tuesday yet? :flipoff2:

Last edited:
So last time I ran this thing it was kinda acting funny, like the drive belt was slipping. It sat for a while and now it won't move.

Belt from engine to jack shaft deal is super loose. The pulley that it engages looks like a variable speed deal, but I can't see how it moves. I looks all the way out, as in smallest/fastest speed.

Is this the "7 speed" deal on the left side?

Any idea how this works?

Do I just need new belts?

Is it Tuesday yet? :flipoff2:
Add a chain/ sprockets!

Seriously though, I might take you up on those 2 parts. The shift gate is just complete enough that I could trace it onto some metal or uhmw.

I finally got a chance to get those parts pulled. They're barely better than nothing, haha. PM me your address if you still want them and I'll get them shipped out.

Fired this thing up to mulch some leaves up :laughing: I love having a pos mower over a nice one. I've also been using it to run over this Japanese bamboo I have (like bamboo, but not as strong) sounds terrible, but works pretty good.

Few beers later.....

20211023_165134.jpg

That was after I flipped it over because it was puking oil.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Was fucking around and she was diggin, (you can see the holes if you zoom in) then she went ass over tea kettle. :laughing:

Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Thought I might have done the old girl in, but figured I'd give it shot anyway....

IMG_20211023_165858_01.jpg

Fired right up with minimal smoke :smokin::laughing:

Try that with your :rainbow: ass green one :flipoff2:

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_165858_01.jpg
    IMG_20211023_165858_01.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
around here you can, i've had a 42" craftsman out back that runs great, deck rebuilt etc. i cant give it away. got another decent john deere hydrostat drive with bad head gasket but evrything else good, same story.

i know i can get rid of them if i post them on fb or cl but i dont want those people around my place. i'm about to throw them in the next scrap run
What island are you on? Ever come to the mainland?:lmao:

Define “Turn over”.

Won’t spin or spins but won’t start?

A hung valve won’t cause it to act like it’s hydro locked.
My POS JD L110 was having spin over troubles. Slowly and then slower till the starter need a love tap to spin over. Bought a new starter and turns over great. Might be something simple. Found a generic starter on ebay for like $30

Top Back Refresh