What's new

Bought a pos riding mower

I think anything plastic might be toast at this point but I'll take a look next time I'm down that way.
The shift gate thing is plastic, the guard isn't.

If the gate is kinda in 1 piece, could use it to have 1 cut from steel or whatever. It actually holds the shifter in the speed you put it in, right now, I'm stuck in 7th :laughing:

then I can sell the green and yellow pos.
parents, grandparents, basically everyone that I'd end up cutting grass for always had john deere lawn tractors
you'd be stuck in a walking pace or it'd only cut half the grass or worse

I ended up with a crappy craftsman rider and it does a little better
just got a really shitty monkey wards one with the friction wheel transmission, thing sucks something fierce for drive power but you can go full running speed and it still cuts golf course good

green mower = turd

Some girl parked the rear tire of a 110? On my foot when I was 6, hated jd green since.

some eye tallion lady I cut grass for had a big jd 2or 3 cyl, all I know is that it had cutting brakes and turf tires and I quickly learned if at full speed you could cock the steering wheel and jam on one brake and the speed of the unbraked wheel would double :lmao: glad I never got caught doing that.

Last edited:
I was able to snap a couple pics last night, some rust on the guard and some of the slots are missing from the shifter deal. The ass looked normal but it was dark and I didn't really get a chance to look.

IMG_20210520_203746835.jpg

IMG_20210520_203812506.jpg

250B17EC-EDBF-4153-BBE3-37A07B0C785B.png

Fuckin “collectors” shit doesn’t even run as it “needs” a new distributor, he might take a grand for it, says “it’s worth 6500$” if it ran 4cyl gas front mid and rear pto. Way more machine than I need anyway. Number visible for anyone interested.

The catch can is awesome...
Not easy to find those out here...
But "needs a distributor" ???:lmao:

I was able to snap a couple pics last night, some rust on the guard and some of the slots are missing from the shifter deal. The ass looked normal but it was dark and I didn't really get a chance to look.

IMG_20210520_203746835.jpg

IMG_20210520_203812506.jpg
That loovered hood is way more baller than mine! :(

Seriously though, I might take you up on those 2 parts. The shift gate is just complete enough that I could trace it onto some metal or uhmw.

Might be a minute before I can pull them, but I'll do it when I get a chance.

Those AG tires are not doing the ride quality any favors when sidewall flex is your only suspension. My chick complained about the ride on our POS. I went out and the fucking tires looked like donuts. She had put 15# in them :lmao:

Well the thing seems to be running better and better, except for hot starts :confused: I threw a belt, thought I got it back on, and it still won't move :laughing: hard to see what's going on under there. Haven't had time to really look into it.

drain the oil before you flip it over to look at the belts, it all drains into the intake via the CCV hose and hydrolocks it

Was able to get it on with just a 6x6 under the rear tire. It does not start when it's hot, acts like it's hydro locked. Cools down and it's fine.

Was able to get it on with just a 6x6 under the rear tire. It does not start when it's hot, acts like it's hydro locked. Cools down and it's fine.
starter getting hot?

these things attract mouse nests in the cowling, cuts off all the airflow through the fins and then they get way hot way fast

I cut a window in the cowling (the whole size of the briggs sticker) to easily dig the shit out every spring without taking the whole cowling off

Well it turned out it was the softball sized rock I hit keeping the blade from turning.  i made sure it was in N and clutch in, but totally spaced on the blades being engaged. did I mention I've never had to mow before. :lmao:

This is a big reason why I bought an old pos, I knew there would be stuff hiding in my 1-2' grass.

It still doesn't like to turn over when hot. Probably what you guys are saying with the valve.

starter getting hot?

these things attract mouse nests in the cowling, cuts off all the airflow through the fins and then they get way hot way fast

I cut a window in the cowling (the whole size of the briggs sticker) to easily dig the shit out every spring without taking the whole cowling off
My first thought.

Well it turned out it was the softball sized rock I hit keeping the blade from turning.  i made sure it was in N and clutch in, but totally spaced on the blades being engaged. did I mention I've never had to mow before. :lmao:

This is a big reason why I bought an old pos, I knew there would be stuff hiding in my 1-2' grass.

It still doesn't like to turn over when hot. Probably what you guys are saying with the valve.
Define “Turn over”.

Won’t spin or spins but won’t start?

A hung valve won’t cause it to act like it’s hydro locked.

I grew up mowing with an old Murray that wouldn’t start when it was hot. The engine would get starter burning hot and just wouldn’t turn the engine over. Let it cool down a bit and it’d take off again. It was old enough it didn’t have the sensor in the seat if I had to get off I didn’t have to kill the engine

those tires are way neat

your price however is not, mowers are free, like snow blowers
Been meaning to weld the rear on mine for the last... long time
Ain't got round to it

oh, toss a soup can over the gas cap, those ones take on rain water
You city dwellers (city adjacent) make that declaration like its a forgone conclusion. Country folk don’t get rid of anything while it’s still remotely useful. Craigslist in my part covers portions 4 of the bigger states meaning up to 6 hours drive away. I bet you can’t find a free non running riding mower that could be made to run within 6 hours of Cortez Colorado.

Landslide and 2bigbronco also can’t understand not being able to find awesome free or cheap shit 10 minutes away from the house.

Define “Turn over”.

Won’t spin or spins but won’t start?

A hung valve won’t cause it to act like it’s hydro locked.
Won't spin
I grew up mowing with an old Murray that wouldn’t start when it was hot. The engine would get starter burning hot and just wouldn’t turn the engine over. Let it cool down a bit and it’d take off again. It was old enough it didn’t have the sensor in the seat if I had to get off I didn’t have to kill the engine
This actually sounds more like what it's doing.
You city dwellers (city adjacent) make that declaration like its a forgone conclusion. Country folk don’t get rid of anything while it’s still remotely useful. Craigslist in my part covers portions 4 of the bigger states meaning up to 6 hours drive away. I bet you can’t find a free non running riding mower that could be made to run within 6 hours of Cortez Colorado.

Landslide and 2bigbronco also can’t understand not being able to find awesome free or cheap shit 10 minutes away from the house.
Hey, someone gets it. :laughing:

Won't spin
That’s your starter.

When the magnets get hot they lose their gravity and the electrons will no longer mate with them.

You may be in for a new starter or you may just need to sus out why it’s getting hot as mentioned above.

That’s your starter.

When the magnets get hot they lose their gravity and the electrons will no longer mate with them.

You may be in for a new starter or you may just need to sus out why it’s getting hot as mentioned above.

Well it's getting worse, today it had been sitting since Monday, barely started, died and wouldn't turn over fast enough to start again. Hooked jumper cables right to the starter and it was the same thing. New starter is like $30, so I may just throw one on. Hopefully it's not the engine seizing :laughing:

Well it's getting worse, today it had been sitting since Monday, barely started, died and wouldn't turn over fast enough to start again. Hooked jumper cables right to the starter and it was the same thing. New starter is like $30, so I may just throw one on. Hopefully it's not the engine seizing :laughing:
With enough heat cycles the magnets will say fuck this shit and revert back into plain iron.

Stopped by a really sweet old school power equipment repair shop to see if they had a starter. They had multiple on the shelf and knew exactly what it was. Buuut, they want $135 for it! :barf: so I ordered one one Amazon for $30 :( should be here next week.

I have been trying to support local places as much as possible, but for fucks sakes, I can't pay 4x's as much.

Stopped by a really sweet old school power equipment repair shop to see if they had a starter. They had multiple on the shelf and knew exactly what it was. Buuut, they want $135 for it! :barf: so I ordered one one Amazon for $30 :( should be here next week.

I have been trying to support local places as much as possible, but for fucks sakes, I can't pay 4x's as much.
It’s getting hard. At heart I want to support local people. I needed a starter for my tractor and all the tractor stores had to order it. $225 bucks, have it in 4 days. Or I can go home order it for $125 and also have it in 4 days.

I knew it was going to be more, I figured I was OK with $50-65ish, assuming it not being from Amazon, it's probably a better product :laughing:

Tractor stuff can get expensive, especially if it's got that certain green paint on it. I once had to pick up an alternator for a big JD, but I looked no different than any pick up unit, the only difference was 24v. Deere wanted $1200+ a core. :barf:

It’s always different when they have what you need when you need it. I paid $1200 bucks for an alternator for a 15L Detroit in a freightliner from the sketchiest place I’ve ever been at 1:00 am in Tennessee.

Top Back Refresh