What's new

big dumb loads

Imagine those jobs in China.

Interesting. what is your max height in OZ? they have to haul them laying on their side in the State since standing up they would be too tall to go under bridges.
4.3 meters is max height under normal circumstances, he would have been over that, but it was placarded as an oversized load so he would have had permits for a pre-defined route. It would have been the same deal if they were layed down anyway, just harder to keep in the lane.

yea they are oversize load here laying flat on a flatbed as well.

Seems like BDL in the making

Screenshot_20220110-134732_Facebook.jpg

I knew someone with something similar and used it for same thing. Its actually a pretty decent idea especially if you have multiple truck with employees running them. Say you have 4 trucks\mowers- you save on 4 sets of trailer tires,tags on said trailer and space where you don't have 4 trailers sitting around. Plus have you seen some people drive with trailers for backing into a clients driveway?

Totally can get the BDL in the making though because you know someone is going to use it to put their 4 seater 150hp SxS in the bed of a 1\2t or something eventually. Actually........ be kinda nice on back of 1ton for hauling a samurai :stirthepot:. Add fold down legs with trailer jacks on each side and be able to remove it alone would be nice addition.

Put it in a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup and I think it would do very nicely.
In a half ton pickup truck I think it's a little on the light side unless they have a F-150 with the max payload package (and even that would be pushing it).
The 52-in version of that mower weighs 1200#, add in 500# of ramp (per their specs) and 200# of other stuff (tools, gas cans, trimmers, blowers, racks to hold stuff, etc) and most half tons will be over their payload capacity.

I can see where it would make it much easier for a driver who isn't confident in being able to tow and back up with a trailer to drive it, and for a 1-3 person crew it could be perfect, especially if they always park on the side of the road.

Aaron Z

Seems like a lot of leverage on the bed mounts on the frame- or does it just sit in the bed?

Seems like a lot of leverage on the bed mounts on the frame- or does it just sit in the bed?
if I'm seeing it correctly, it appears to attach to the tailgate mount?

if I'm seeing it correctly, it appears to attach to the tailgate mount?
Perhaps you're right. I was more focused on the bar going over the bed rails. Thought perhaps they were mounted there too.

Perhaps you're right. I was more focused on the bar going over the bed rails. Thought perhaps they were mounted there too.

Now it's bugging me.

Looks like a pin right above the tail light.

My guess (and, yes 30 seconds on DDG could probably provide a real answer)...

Pivots on the tailgate hinge
Pins into the top bar that is bolted to the bed rails...

So... 4 attachment points.

maybe... dunno... 1/4 of way into first coffee....

EDIT: Bolts to receiver hitch, not the tailgate hinge.

Last edited:
how do you even make those tires?

edit: better yet, how do you mount them? really long pry bar?

2 or 3 piece wheel. You aren't prying those beads at all.

I've only see the little ~7' tall ones changed :laughing: and you get a guy who's good with a waffle clamp deal on a knuckle boom. It's actually crazy fast.

9000rs-db-1024x592.jpg

so not dumb just big load then? I would think a triple axle trailer plus tongue weight would be safe?

so not dumb just big load then? I would think a triple axle trailer plus tongue weight would be safe?
It looks like there are similar looking trailers rated at 25 tons, so the trailer might be ok. The truck may be a little undersized, I don't know much about MDT's.

At least flag the front, rear and sides...
The sad thing is they probably spent more time tying it down to the roof than it would have taken to pop the springs off, pull it apart and put the whole thing in the back .

Aaron Z

Big pattern 10lug and 22.5 so ots go at least air brakes.

They typicaly had a 3116 or 3126 180-330hp and 6-7 speeds.

Misserably under powered and under geared.

7500/8500 had bump up cab roofs.

both these could have been much better if they simply loaded them differently :laughing:

The first one is just a bad idea between that truck and janky trailer. It almost seems staged because I'd think that 1/2t would have its bumper in the dirt with that kind of wieght.

2nd one is probably fine, he may have been better off backing the skid steer on, but that excavator out weighs it either way.

Fuck that, no way you could get proper to get proper tongue wieght with a single screw. That trailer doesn't quite look like a real 20t+ equipment trailer to me either, but it might just be the Pic.

Top Back Refresh