What's new

Big Dumb Loads

The amount of cars pulling ctls is kind of alarming.
IMG_8151.jpeg

IMG_8150.jpeg

I wish there was film of this, of all the tries it took to get the locomotive on the tracks.

ohc=KRv-l1kTwtMQ7kNvgGe3Frm&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

That looks like fun. Especially without active ballast on the boat. The second they try to get off the crane, the boat will start to right itself and drag the train towards the edge of the pier. By looking at the list of the boat, if they were picking up the train, they would have had the hook somewhere above the bit on the dock before they started taking weight.

Just have to lead it a little:flipoff2:

That looks like fun. Especially without active ballast on the boat. The second they try to get off the crane, the boat will start to right itself and drag the train towards the edge of the pier. By looking at the list of the boat, if they were picking up the train, they would have had the hook somewhere above the bit on the dock before they started taking weight.

as soon as that train is on the tracks it isn't going sideways anymore

1719514188297.png

as soon as that train is on the tracks it isn't going sideways anymore

1719514188297.png

Sure, if they rigged it perfect and all the wheels land at the exact same time. If just the fronts or rears land first and the crane starts losing weight..................it's going for a ride.

Either way, that operation went Veeeeerrrry slow:eek:

While there is always a level of experience on a crane operator that influences how well lift operations happen....

Dollars to donuts, any crane operator hired to run that operation from a floating and rolling ship is a long way from green and knows very well what he is doing. That engine wouldnt get touched down and bloop all the load released letting the ship wildy swing back and forth. I expect the engine would locate on the tracks and then a long unloading process begins which is functionally a reverse lift where the engine anchors position and the weight of the engine is slowly released while the crane operator continues to adjust rigging as the ship slowly rolls back to level. Worked around a bunch of barge mounted swinging cranes over the years. Floating crane lifts are always twice as complex as you think they might be.

While there is always a level of experience on a crane operator that influences how well lift operations happen....

Dollars to donuts, any crane operator hired to run that operation from a floating and rolling ship is a long way from green and knows very well what he is doing. That engine wouldnt get touched down and bloop all the load released letting the ship wildy swing back and forth. I expect the engine would locate on the tracks and then a long unloading process begins which is functionally a reverse lift where the engine anchors position and the weight of the engine is slowly released while the crane operator continues to adjust rigging as the ship slowly rolls back to level. Worked around a bunch of barge mounted swinging cranes over the years. Floating crane lifts are always twice as complex as you think they might be.
Not to mention they probably floated (lol) that shit 1" over the tracks until it was dead nuts on. Not like they just plopped it from 6ft up.

I've said it a million times doing my job. The most dangerous person offshore is a bad crane operator.

I've seen good operators do amazing things and I've played run motherfucker run when a idiot was driving.

You can tell the folks in that picture knew what they were doing from the side pulling they were doing on the block. They are in effect counteracting the roll of the vessel.

nah the strap's going through the cab, he just slammed the rear doors on it before tightening the strap
That makes more sense.

I was wondering how it flexed the rear doors out but not the fronts.

Regardless, looping around the pillar is still way better.

Top Back Refresh