What's new

Big Dumb Loads

Screenshot_20240617_205319_Chrome.jpg

Preface saying that I've never unloaded from a ship, nor unloaded a 50 ton object, but I would actually bet that with the control lines going back to the davits on the far side of the vessel that as long as port was calm and everything was done smoothly and gently that it was semi-reasonable to get that thing on the tracks.

Doing that with a shipboard crane just seems NUTS though!

Preface saying that I've never unloaded from a ship, nor unloaded a 50 ton object, but I would actually bet that with the control lines going back to the davits on the far side of the vessel that as long as port was calm and everything was done smoothly and gently that it was semi-reasonable to get that thing on the tracks.

Doing that with a shipboard crane just seems NUTS though!

I'm sure they were trying to control the sideways movement of the locomotive, but everytime the distance from the locomotive to the COG of the ship changed, the tilt of the ship/crane would change, shifting the locomotive in two axis. Must have been fun!

Maybe they weren't getting on to the tracks? Just getting it onto the ship?

But even if they were offloading it, I'm sure it wouldn't have been too terrible with all those cross decks avaliable. Maybe just a little annoying dealing with communication between all the winch operators.

Source: I operate shipboard cranes. Granted, not lifting locomotives though.

Edit to ad - it is kind of fun to load heavy shit from far away. It's kind of a game to guess when the ship stops heeling over and actually lifts the object

I'm sure they were trying to control the sideways movement of the locomotive, but everytime the distance from the locomotive to the COG of the ship changed, the tilt of the ship/crane would change, shifting the locomotive in two axis. Must have been fun!
there are no non-control axis of movement they all go to a winch
not that it makes it less sketchy:laughing:

Top Back Refresh