What's new

Barndominium or Shopdominium Steel Building Experience?

It would seem to make sense to put that shop bathroom on the common wall to save a bunch of material costs, instead of in that far far corner.

But maybe you've got a nervous colon:flipoff2:
If it were my design (picked it up on IG), I would put bathroom over to the left, bedroom middle, slightly larger kitchen as I like to cook. Done.

Or perhaps migrate all of it on top of an attic space :). More room for shop crap underneath. :laughing:

The plans are done, just working out small details like lighting and electrical. I want a minimum of two can lights to every room to reduce shadows, including the showers and laundry room, looking for the largest two-sided fireplace insert that will fit, redesigned the master shower, pantry door blocks the ovens when open, little stuff like that.

The shop bathroom is on the back wall because we moved it around several times trying to keep it on the house wall, but it just kept getting in the way. Where it sits now is in front of the RV parking spot and will never be in the way.

I'm camping on the property currently. Should have the dirt work done by the end of March. I've marked off the area where I want the dirt work done, it's roughly 1.5 acres. House will be towards the front of the flattened land, with lots of room to move large vehicles around behind it, plus a nice fire break, couple of RV pads, etc.

Curious if you looked into this more?...

I used to own 36 acres near Seligman, it bordered state trust land. There was a 30 ft wide easement between my lot and neighbors lot and the trust land. For vehicles or livestock to pass.?.

And, any updates?:smokin:
There is a 25' easement along the bottom and south side of the 41 acre parcel. It's specifically for property access, easement doesn't say anything about access to state land. There is one house at the end of the bottom easement, first house built on the road 15 years ago. Can't see the house from where my house is going. Owners are life long Kingman residents, have been very helpful. Dude grew up on a ranch, offers to help with just about everything. There are five houses on the mile long road, not including mine. Most of the usable parcels are built on. My property is at the end of the valley. Nothing behind it but Cerbat Mountains BLM wild horse sanctuary.

Two days ago I noticed a two real life cowboys came riding up the valley, herded up some cattle and started pushing them towards the next canyon over, herding them around the houses down on the flat. Never seen that before. The Fuller ranch is in the back of the next canyon to the north. They lease all of the state land from their ranch to the city limits of Kingman, about 12 miles away.

What attracted my attention was one galloping up the road to the turn at my property, then doing a sliding turn and galloping back down the road. Think he was just having a little fun.

Two days ago I noticed a two real life cowboys came riding up the valley, herded up some cattle and started pushing them towards the next canyon over, herding them around the houses down on the flat. Never seen that before. The Fuller ranch is in the back of the next canyon to the north. They lease all of the state land from their ranch to the city limits of Kingman, about 12 miles away.

What attracted my attention was one galloping up the road to the turn at my property, then doing a sliding turn and galloping back down the road. Think he was just having a little fun.

I'm an hour away, on the NV side...if you need anything let me know. I have a lift and a welder if needed:laughing:...I'll PM you my number if you want.:flipoff2:

Here is a floorplan most of us will agree with, like someone mentioned on Instagram bedroom needs to be above kitchen/bathroom for additional shop space haha, another fella said kill off the bedroom, just put up a hammock on shop lift - think he would fit in with this crowd just fine.
Love it, but how are you going to air-condition it?

That layout, where the whole space isn't climate controlled, would be pretty useless here.

my wife recently pulled out the prints for my place. she put them in frames for 'decoration'. but anyway thought i'd put them up if anyone wanted to see them.

the place was built in 1990, as a vacation spot that was big enough to store all the old mans toys. the biggest in the main bay was a 45' boat that he would launch from the trailer down the road. the shop has 3 rv hookups inside and 2 more out on the pad in front. we've been here for 6yrs now i think, and i'll soon be changing it a bit to add another bedroom and bath.

its not exactly to these plans, there aren't that many post in the shop, the main bath layout is different, and there is a 8' walk in closet added to the bedroom. also theseiling isn't dropped int he house, its around 16ft high in the bedroom.

ZISfW2372pD4Kw00mGnj4N5ptQ=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

CtdTLd0wkWTfenKo8-YQZYvHug=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

Love it, but how are you going to air-condition it?

That layout, where the whole space isn't climate controlled, would be pretty useless here.
If I had the funds to do it:

Mini split set up for the living area quarters. That portion would be walled off from shop space (dust/noise/etc), perhaps even a double wall with sound insulation in the middle for a good measure.

As for the remaining space it would have a few large ceiling fans to move the air, and a couple AC units mounted by the outside wall where it would be a best place to install them. Ducted on the inside of course.

For heat I would go with radiant in floor, aided by good old wood/pellet stove for the living space.

Shop could get by with waste oil ceiling mounted heaters - these would be fed via decent sized outside waste oil tank (likely outside under the lean to).

Insulated as best as I could get it of course.

Sort of similar to my friends auto shop with some minor differences (he doesn't have a radiant in floor heat - for shop space he heats with a combination of waste oil and DIY wood stove he built for the shop).

Finally, things are moving forward.

Got the plans finalized except for a few minor details, mostly outside lighting that the designer forgot to include. I had the final plans done at least three times, so this should be the last time. This last time I added three feet to the depth of the front patio because after I marked it out on the pad, it looked small. That caused the roof beams to be bumped up from 2x10's 24" OC, to 2x12's 24" OC. 17' was the max without going up to 2x14's 16" OC, which would have doubled the material cost for that part of the roof. Front patio is 70' wide, 17' deep, so it's half the depth of the residence part of the building. I really like the way it looks on the plans, and marked out on the pad. Also changed the patio from having vaulted trussed ceilings matching the inside of the house to a more conventional patio with a giant timber truss. Raised the ceiling height of the patio to about 19'.

The front patio is the focal point of the house. It's what anyone will see as they turn onto the road 3/4 of a mile away. It will also be my main hang out spot besides the shop. It's all about outdoor living. The fireplace is going to be solid glass on the house side, and have glass doors on the patio side. It will keep smoke out of the house, and it can be fed and cleaned from outside. It will also take care of a security issue I was having with the double-sided fireplace. Flat screen TV's will go above the mantle, inside and outside. Shop is 45x55',16' ceilings, south patio (sun side) is 10' wide, north is 6' wide with a 10x10' hangout area outside the shop work area, which will double as a shaded shooting area for the rifle range.

I added a strong room off the master walk in closet behind the shower. The bathroom was huge with a lot of space not being used, and I wanted a room to store stuff, and put my safes. It's designed to slow someone down long enough for myself, the neighbors or law enforcement to get over there and do whatever they gotta do. There are only five other houses on the road, and everyone looks out for each other's property. The residence portion is designed to be open, look a lot bigger than it is, and take full advantage of the view. You can look through the house to outside from almost every room. Master has 8' wide opening with barn doors, office opening is 6' wide, great room is 25' wide, 35' deep. The only room with a real door on it is the guest room. Wanted anyone staying there to have a little privacy. Shop bathroom will double as a dog wash with a drain in the floor. The shop size is actually a compromise based solely on budget. I can always add on to it at a later date when it fills up. It will already have a 36' RV, a boat, my trail rig, Silverado, so it's less than half full as designed.

Floor plan (potato pics of printed plans)
20230719_154330.jpg

Elevations
20230719_154518.jpg

20230719_154553.jpg

There is no formal entry, I think they are a waste of space. The gate 1,000' down the driveway will be the formal entry. I'll put in a temporary ranch gate and build a real gate at a later date. Something to match the house or the skyline behind the house. Need to fence about half the 47 acres to keep the range cattle and wild horses out, leave the other side of the big wash for them to still access to the mountains and valley below. I don't mind them, just don't want them hanging out on my patio. Gate will have a gabion wall on both sides for about 25', then turn into good old barb wire cattle fence.

Got the pad finished and compaction tested. Ground is so hard I ended up marking out the house with steel spikes because I couldn't drive wood stakes into the ground before they broke up. They had a D6X dozer, 950 loader, big excavator, grader and two water trucks out there for two weeks. It was fun to be involved with the entire process, and watch the equipment do the dance. I was out there every day with the dirt work guys so we could get the driveways in the right places, and the pad the way it needs to be. I would tell them what I wanted, and they would tell me if it was doable, or come up with a better idea to make it work. Pad is a little over an acre of flat, useable area. Footprint of the house/shop is roughly 70' wide by 97' deep, including the patios. Not a small building, so needed as much space as I could practically get. There will be about 65' behind the house. At the shop doors there will be about 70' on the south side (two door side) and 40' on the north side. 40' in front of the house, which tapers down to 30' because I wanted a curved front on the pad. Plenty of room for an eventual pool and more outdoor area. Pad narrows towards the front, which helps with the view (back of pad is 180' wide, front is 140' wide). The driveways split at a turnaround below the pad, which doubles as an auxiliary parking area, and you could easily drive a big rig up onto the pad, up one driveway, around the back of the shop and down the other driveway. Driveways are wide and smooth, and line up perfectly with the shop doors on both sides. Couple great spots for RV parking for my friends to stay.

Pics of pad and dirt work
20230630_134728.jpg
20230630_143419.jpg
20230709_182440.jpg
20230709_182954.jpg
20230709_183531.jpg
20230709_183729.jpg

This cut was a lot of work. About 3' down they started hitting large rocks. They said usually there would be a layer of big rocks, but this just kept going. Pulled out about a dozen that were over 4' in diameter, two were over 6'. They used them for fill in the southeast corner because that side was a lot lower and I don't plan on ever building anything there. They were using the ex to smooth out the grade because I wanted it to be softer angled. Worked loose the biggest rock of all, at least 6' diameter. They only needed to go down about a foot, so had to fill in the big ass hole. The last several big rocks they pushed over the north side onto a flat area I will be able to access after a little more dirt work with the backhoe. I was thinking of getting some of them and placing them in the turnaround for a rockcrawler garden.

They also fixed the road, which was my gift to the neighborhood for disturbing their peace and quiet. This part of the road is the easement along the bottom of my property line.
20230628_150445.jpg

Last edited:
All the years I have spent out at the river, and I have never been to Lake Mohave. Havasu, Mead, Squaw, lots of times but never Mohave which will be closest to my property. I have done the run up the Topoc Gorge from Havase a bunch of times, but always wanted to do Black Canyon.

Is there a boat launch in the lake near the entrance to the canyon? I would like to start at one end go up to the dam, then back, fueling up at Willow Beach.
Sorry, just saw this but probably not a big priority right now. :grinpimp: Anyway, you can put in at Cottonwood Cove, NV, but you'd have to go over the bridge/dam to get there via 95, and the best parts of the canyon are from Willow beach on up, below that it's more just Lake Mojave.

Never understood a desire to combine a house and shop. It takes good design (and $$) to seperate them enough to keep noise and smells away.
It's always been the suck working in an attached garage.
Now it's just an attached apartment.

Also a more complicated HVAC system, as need negative pressure in the shop area, ir positive in the apartment.

Then there's the added fire risk.

And value isn't great. Most people aren't interested in living in a shed. That's how I was able to buy my place for 80% of asking in the middle of a seller's market. It'd been on the market for going on 45 days where most places sold within days. I sold my house in 24hrs for more than listed for example.

I'd rather have them seperate, even if connected by a 30ft "breezeway"

I'm living in mine, but saving to build a house in a few years.

Last edited:
I prefer small attached shop for "nice work" and large detached storage and wrenching building. I'm not the first person to have a basement machine shop. I only decided to go for that after seeing several other people do it real well.

No reason to heat a building where the most frequent activity is dust settling upon projects and parts inventory.

Last edited:
I am a long time lurker but seldom post. I have built 2 barndominiums in the last 3 years. One is 1/2 shop 1/2 living space (45'x80'). The second is my primary home (3200 sq ft). I am by no means an expert but learned a ton during both constructions. Both are in Texas so that plays into means and methods of construction, but am more than happy to share lessons learned if there any questions.

Looking at the floorplan, I think I would eliminate the door between bedroom #2 and the bathroom. It seems like it's taking up potential closet space for the bedroom and wall space for the bathroom for towel bars. Bathrooms with two doors have always seemed a little weird to me.

We're not "most people".
If I can wake up in the morning and the first door I open goes to my shop instead of the kitchen, Imma be happier.
Till you're smelling exhaust, paint and welding fumes all night while trying to sleep.

I prefer small attached shop for "nice work" and large detached storage and wrenching building. I'm not the first person to have a basement machine shop. I only decided to go for that after seeing several other people do it real well.

No reason to heat a building where the most frequent activity is dust settling upon projects and parts inventory.

Yeah, I have a 30x65 for storage.

Shop is 30x42

Looking at the floorplan, I think I would eliminate the door between bedroom #2 and the bathroom. It seems like it's taking up potential closet space for the bedroom and wall space for the bathroom for towel bars. Bathrooms with two doors have always seemed a little weird to me.
It's there because women and some men don't like anyone seeing them going into a bathroom, and it converts the bedroom into a suite for guests. Don't care about closet space, no one is going to live in that room.

Elevation of the pad is 4500'. Constant cool breeze coming down the canyon from the mountains in warmer months. Usually is about 10 degrees cooler than Kingman, 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix or Havasu. Little snow in the winter that's gone in a few days.

looking badass, you must be in some coin on the dirt work alone.
It wasn't cheap. I did get a big discount on the work. Dirt work guy gets a lot of business from me because I build houses on spec in Kingman, and I paid cash.

As far as living in a "shed", that's ridiculous. The shop is going to be finished, insulated and drywalled. No HVAC because I don't think I'll need it at that elevation. I'm a hobbiest, ShopSmith, welder, bunch of tools, like working with my hands. I'm not going to be tearing down cars for scrap in there. I've been working out of my finished 3-car garage for 20 years. Never smelled anything inside the house.

Never understood a desire to combine a house and shop. It takes good design (and $$) to seperate them enough to keep noise and smells away.
It's always been the suck working in an attached garage.
Now it's just an attached apartment.

Also a more complicated HVAC system, as need negative pressure in the shop area, ir positive in the apartment.

Then there's the added fire risk.

And value isn't great. Most people aren't interested in living in a shed. That's how I was able to buy my place for 80% of asking in the middle of a seller's market. It'd been on the market for going on 45 days where most places sold within days. I sold my house in 24hrs for more than listed for example.

I'd rather have them seperate, even if connected by a 30ft "breezeway"

I'm living in mine, but saving to build a house in a few years.
You're wasting your keystrokes.

People seem to gravitate towards the idea that they want to bring their home life and shop life into one building.

I am a pretty big fuck up, and I like my shit spaced apart, but apparently everyone else is much more put together than i am.

Top Back Refresh