What's new

Barndominium or Shopdominium Steel Building Experience?

I am not that concerned with noise from the shop into the residence. I am probably not going to be working long hours into the night on anything. I'm retired, I have all the time in the world, and usually stop working when the sun goes down. Some noise suppression and fire resistant material between shop and residence portions would be done, but its not a huge deal to me. If I have someone over using the shop, it will be a friend and the wife doesn't mind when I am helping friends out. I have had people over building bumpers and rebuilding axles, etc. into the evening and she never complained. That is with a uninsulated garage with the master bedroom over the garage. With the bathroom and walk in closet area separating the main part of the master from the shop by 15', and it being on the opposite end of most of the noise, its just not that much of a issue.

The extra bedroom will be empty most of the time, and if someone is staying there, they are probably the same person who would be helping me make all the noise. Its not a shop that a fabrication business is being run in, its a hobby shop and will mostly be used for vehicle storage and maintenance. Besides, the wife is planning on spending a few months there and a few months at our home in San Diego. Might sell the house in San Diego and get a condo. I will probably end up spending most of my time at this place, and a few months total out of the year in San Diego, unless I get to the point where I cannot stand to even spend any time in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

If my daughter ends up relocating up to Kingman area (which I think she eventually will), she can build her own house and horse facilities on the lower 5.5 acre parcel. Its a little goofy the way the parcels are divided. At the lower end of the main property (41.2 acres), there are three parcels all 5+ acres. They have CC&R's that restrict what can be built on them. Its mostly about burying all utility cables, no mobile homes, no trash or junk vehicle storage, stuff like that. It says nothing about horse facilities or livestock. I own one 5.5 acre parcel of those three, where the well and utilities are located. They are not worth much because of the CC&R's (Arizona people hate being told what to do). I am planning on eventually trying to purchase those adjoining parcels. Along with the two parcels at the lower end of the property, there is a parcel to the south I might try to grab. It is very uneven and steep ground on the side that would be able to view my property, but its possible someone could build there someday. If I get all three of those vacant parcels I will have the end of the valley almost completely closed off to further development that could look onto my property. My daughter would also have a hell of a place to build her dressage training facility.

I am also considering having the outside of the structure being 110x60 instead of 100x60. That extra 10' would give me a 60x60 shop, 32x60 of living space and 18x60 patio, plus the overhang for the wraparound patio. Or 34x60 living space and 16x60 patio. All that depends upon the costs of the building and the dirt work on the property.

Last edited:
......Some noise suppression and fire resistant material between shop and residence portions would be done, but its not a huge deal to me. .....

Different strokes for different folks.

the one thing that turns me off about barndominium‘s is fire.

Fires start in the garage and in the kitchen.

I almost burnt my house down several times and most of those times were due to things in the garage.

I’ve had a carburetor float stick and flood the whole garage with fuel after I had closed up for the night. The only reason i didn’t blow the whole place up was because i elevated the water heater when i moved in and the vapor wasn’t high enough to hit the water heater flame.

You have good egress with your design, but i wouldn’t take fire threat lightly. I’d at least double up on fire rated sheetrock between the spaces.

but it ain’t my families lives, so you do you man.

you like it, i love it for you.

I would guess that fire codes would not like this approach, assuming codes cares, for fire protection.

Personally, and it's easy to critique from a keyboard, I'd not have a bedroom next to the shop... and I'd do a core filled or close-cell-spray-foam filled 6' block between the shop and living area, with walls framed out on the living quarter side of the brick wall for sound protection. Overkill? sure. But the brick could likely provide additional fire protection should something happen in the shop area.
The stone wool is as fireproof as you can get... wall it with whatever you want. I was using drywall/osb just for example. Do brick on the shop side, barn tin, etc. I was more referring to the sound dampening question. Wool + airgap. Moot point- BDK ain't worried about noise.

The noise issue is moot for me too. It is just the wife and I, and more than likely if I am out working on something loud she will be out there too. I am concerned about fire though. My 60x60 burned down in '14. It was a pole barn, typical wood built, tin outside and inside. Had 6'' bat insulation between. It was crazy how fast the fire got inside the tin and went all the way around the shop burning the inside of the walls out. In some places the tin was still standing with nothing in between. Crazy shit. So when/if we build one of these, I will make sure to have the best "firewall" between the two.

Reactions: BDK
I was recently in a position that had me looking at buying a house with land and building a shop or buying land and building a house/shop combo. I ended up finding a new house with a 50 x 40 shop already on it, but while i was looking i was talking with Southwest Building Solutions. They do work all over AZ and were great to deal with. They were going to be who i used FWIW

I was recently in a position that had me looking at buying a house with land and building a shop or buying land and building a house/shop combo. I ended up finding a new house with a 50 x 40 shop already on it, but while i was looking i was talking with Southwest Building Solutions. They do work all over AZ and were great to deal with. They were going to be who i used FWIW

Thanks

Anybody ever do business with these guys? Almost want to do business with them just because of the company name

https://www.steelerectionaz.com/
Click image for larger version  Name:	tee1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.4 KB ID:	91799

If my daughter ends up relocating up to Kingman area (which I think she eventually will), she can build her own house and horse facilities on the lower 5.5 acre parcel. Its a little goofy the way the parcels are divided. At the lower end of the main property (41.2 acres), there are three parcels all 5+ acres. They have CC&R's that restrict what can be built on them. Its mostly about burying all utility cables, no mobile homes, no trash or junk vehicle storage, stuff like that. It says nothing about horse facilities or livestock. I own one 5.5 acre parcel of those three, where the well and utilities are located. They are not worth much because of the CC&R's (Arizona people hate being told what to do). I am planning on eventually trying to purchase those adjoining parcels. Along with the two parcels at the lower end of the property, there is a parcel to the south I might try to grab. It is very uneven and steep ground on the side that would be able to view my property, but its possible someone could build there someday. If I get all three of those vacant parcels I will have the end of the valley almost completely closed off to further development that could look onto my property. My daughter would also have a hell of a place to build her dressage training facility.

I am also considering having the outside of the structure being 110x60 instead of 100x60. That extra 10' would give me a 60x60 shop, 32x60 of living space and 18x60 patio, plus the overhang for the wraparound patio. Or 34x60 living space and 16x60 patio. All that depends upon the costs of the building and the dirt work on the property.

I am in the process of negotiating a price for the two 5+ acre parcels that are attached to the lower side of the property and adjacent to the 5 acre parcel I already own. Make it all a bigger square. Offered the owner of the other parcel to the south some money for his, he declined, but I am slowly raising my offers and think he is nibbling. Its the only property that can be built on that is at the same level I think the house will end up at.

I also extended the building plane 10' so its 100X60 like I mentioned above. 60X60 shop, 32X60 living space, 18X60 patio.

Also adding a decent size pool/spa and outside entertaining area attached to one side of the living quarters, depending upon how the house ends up on the property.

Some medical issues I am having are keeping me from moving forward on this for now. I haven't even been back to the property since the purchase. I should be better able to jump into this with both feet Feb-March of next year.

I am in the process of negotiating a price for the two 5+ acre parcels that are attached to the lower side of the property and adjacent to the 5 acre parcel I already own. Make it all a bigger square. Offered the owner of the other parcel to the south some money for his, he declined, but I am slowly raising my offers and think he is nibbling. Its the only property that can be built on that is at the same level I think the house will end up at.

I also extended the building plane 10' so its 100X60 like I mentioned above. 60X60 shop, 32X60 living space, 18X60 patio.

Also adding a decent size pool/spa and outside entertaining area attached to one side of the living quarters, depending upon how the house ends up on the property.

Some medical issues I am having are keeping me from moving forward on this for now. I haven't even been back to the property since the purchase. I should be better able to jump into this with both feet Feb-March of next year.

Tell him you are going to start a hippie/artist type come and go as you please free living space for all deal. My neighbor told me that. It kept me up a few nights. Luckily he moved.

I have done some modifications to the building. I made the shower/toilet area into its own room, I moved the three door side of the shop to the opposite side to better suite the property. I added 6' to the covered patio, and added a pool/sundeck type area. I have a contractor, and am meeting with the steel building company and their designer in a few weeks.
My Man Cave v3Sa.jpg

The location of the pool might end up not being practical, but I think it would be cool to have it partially shaded by the patio in the afternoon on hot summer days. I like this design, partially submerged sun deck and spa, even the finishes, without that wall and slide on one end. That end will be flat so as not to block the view.
032-Linear-Geometric-Pools-Atlantis-GA-091718-193935.jpg

The end of the house with the patio would be looking right down the valley, so a view of over 50 miles.
This view
20210526_170737.jpg

The closest house is that little green one, about 1/4 mile away. I was looking into buying it as a rental, but its already under contract. Hope they don't turn it into a junk yard. I will have to figure out how to block the view if it comes to that. I mentioned that to the realtor I use out there and she says everyone out here doesn't want any restrictions, so you can't complain when someone does what they want with their property. She is absolutely correct. The same flipper owns the other house directly below that one, so it will be listed soon. I am going to have to put a couple more private property signs out along my property line so everyone knows the end of the valley is privately owned and not access to the state / BLM land behind it. Don't really care if they walk up the wash, but don't some asshole driving a ATV up there. I am planning on cattle fencing about 12-13 acres of the property, just to keep the cows and wild horses out of the residence. I am going to leave the rest, including the wash that comes out of the mountains that animals use as a game trail, open for the critters to come and go as they please. Will have a 12-14' wide gate at the entrance with gabions as posts, and man gates on both sides by the homesite. Am going to clear about 2.5-3 acres for the homesite because its a big building, I am going to have a couple of RV sites scattered about for visitors, and want a large area around the shopdominium.

My planned schedule for the build is;

Dirt work
Utilities
Fence / Gates (before slab so its not full of hoof prints)
Slab
Steel Structure
Finish residence area
Finish shop area (lift, pallet racks, storage, etc.)
Pool, outdoor space

So I went off on a tangent, again. I got to thinking that you can have a shop that is too small, but never really have one that is too big. So I modified the plans yet again. 60x80 or 60x70 shop. Need to figure out what its going to cost before I decide. I keep sending all my wild ideas to the contractor and steel building people and they haven't told me I'm crazy yet, so I guess its all doable.
My Man Cave v3Sa60x80.jpg

The roof line would look like this as this is one of the nicest shopdominiums I have seen.
Outside-North-View.jpg

You'll only be an hour from Willow Beach, which is about the same as it was from my Vegas house. Super clean water, not much traffic and you can go up river to the dam, or down river to Lake Mojave. Used to be free to launch, but now they charge.
P1010044.JPG

Attachments

• P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    696.1 KB · Views: 36
Before 9/11 you could ride right up to the base of the dam. Pretty impressive looking up at it.

O_68555-45198_1493326010-17.jpg

You'll only be an hour from Willow Beach, which is about the same as it was from my Vegas house. Super clean water, not much traffic and you can go up river to the dam, or down river to Lake Mojave. Used to be free to launch, but now they charge.
P1010044.JPG
All the years I have spent out at the river, and I have never been to Lake Mohave. Havasu, Mead, Squaw, lots of times but never Mohave which will be closest to my property. I have done the run up the Topoc Gorge from Havase a bunch of times, but always wanted to do Black Canyon.

Is there a boat launch in the lake near the entrance to the canyon? I would like to start at one end go up to the dam, then back, fueling up at Willow Beach.

I've got the finished plans. I love the elevations, not sure about the shop lighting and zones, and the shop outlets. Think I need more 220's. Also want to split up the patio lighting front and sides.
Kennedy-KENNEDY E1.jpg

Kennedy-KENNEDY A4.jpg

Kennedy-KENNEDY A4a.jpg

All the ceilings are going to be vaulted, except the laundry. It will have a 9' ceiling. We are going to use the space above the ceiling for HVAC, wifi hub, cable hub, tankless water heaters, etc., with access from the shop via a small door. It's in the middle of the house, will centralize the utilities, and free up space.

I also offset the shop so I could have a man door on the left side, and a 12x12 covered patio outside the main work area of the shop that will double as the rifle range. Pistol range will be behind the shop.

Last edited:
The right elevation doesnt seem right based on the other 3. It seems like the roof shold be higher or the wall with the garage door pushed back. That or i am just not seeing it right.

1661273246847.png

Did anyone consider this kind of setup ?

I'm thinking of doing this on bare land or on a chunk of land with an existing house and barn in a state to the north of my current location.

There are also a 4 container version where one can pull a truck and trailer into the shelter of it.
ShipCan2.jpg

Did anyone consider this kind of setup ?

I'm thinking of doing this on bare land or on a chunk of land with an existing house and barn in a state to the north of my current location.

There are also a 4 container version where one can pull a truck and trailer into the shelter of it.
ShipCan2.jpg
Looks pretty good, at least as a start point. That's our plan for a shop if the house we find doesn't have enough workspace. Go all Andrew Camarata on it.

The right elevation doesnt seem right based on the other 3. It seems like the roof shold be higher or the wall with the garage door pushed back. That or i am just not seeing it right.

1661273246847.png
The post above yours explains that the shop is offset so I could have a 12x12 covered patio right outside the shop main work area without changing the roof line. They patios are also offset to center the chimney and great room, with more covered patio on the left or sunny side. All the patios are at least 9' ceilings and vaulted to match the inside ceilings so the outside areas feel like an extension of the house. The idea with the entire floorplan is to be able to look out nearly every window from anywhere in the house because the view is incredible. Applies to every room with the exception of the guest room. Wanted that room to have a standard door for privacy. The house is going to be very open and airy. Distance is what makes it private with the nearest house and my property line over 1/4 mile away. State Trust and BLM land on 2.5 sides.

I am going to have to put a couple more private property signs out along my property line so everyone knows the end of the valley is privately owned and not access to the state / BLM land behind it. Don't really care if they walk up the wash, but don't some asshole driving a ATV up there. I am planning on cattle fencing about 12-13 acres of the property, just to keep the cows and wild horses out of the residence. I am going to leave the rest, including the wash that comes out of the mountains that animals use as a game trail, open for the critters to come and go as they please. Will have a 12-14' wide gate at the entrance with gabions as posts, and man gates on both sides by the homesite. Am going to clear about 2.5-3 acres for the homesite because its a big building, I am going to have a couple of RV sites scattered about for visitors, and want a large area around the shopdominium.

Curious if you looked into this more?...

I used to own 36 acres near Seligman, it bordered state trust land. There was a 30 ft wide easement between my lot and neighbors lot and the trust land. For vehicles or livestock to pass.?.

And, any updates?:smokin:

Here is a floorplan most of us will agree with, like someone mentioned on Instagram bedroom needs to be above kitchen/bathroom for additional shop space haha, another fella said kill off the bedroom, just put up a hammock on shop lift - think he would fit in with this crowd just fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221-024651.png
    Screenshot_20230221-024651.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 35
It would seem to make sense to put that shop bathroom on the common wall to save a bunch of material costs, instead of in that far far corner.

But maybe you've got a nervous colon:flipoff2:

Here is a floorplan most of us will agree with, like someone mentioned on Instagram bedroom needs to be above kitchen/bathroom for additional shop space haha, another fella said kill off the bedroom, just put up a hammock on shop lift - think he would fit in with this crowd just fine.
Bebop there’s your ideal floorplan :lmao:

Top Back Refresh