What's new

Anyone running Starlink internet yet?

i think it was this thread or somewhere else on IBB that it's not really a satellite problem now, it's having enough chips to build boxes for customers to use the service?

Last Feb pre-ordered 2. One for home, where we have zero options other than Sat or spotty LTE. One for our summer campground that was Sat only until we got a 2mb local WISP option this year.

Of course campground one came first in June. It's amazingly fast, simple, and cheap.

Home one, which we could really use, is delayed again until early next year.

Those 2 locations are less than 40 miles apart as the crow flies. After we closed camp for the year, I tried the dishy at home. No joy.

Internet said we could move our location and try, but we'd lose our original slot, so I'm not willing to risk it.

Who cares about the $99? Ya'll must have some decent options already.
1 year of waiting and we're finally going to have real internet!

Just got notified they shipped my new dishy. 3+ years of spotty LTE. Seriously only 2 out of 4 us can be using the internet at once. Even then it
s a crap shoot.

I never realized how streaming was supposed to work until we got Starlink at our camp.

1 year of waiting and we're finally going to have real internet!

Just got notified they shipped my new dishy. 3+ years of spotty LTE. Seriously only 2 out of 4 us can be using the internet at once. Even then it
s a crap shoot.

I never realized how streaming was supposed to work until we got Starlink at our camp.
what part of the Country are you in?

I cannot wait to get mine! I am also on LTE with a Jetpack and it is shitty as fuck, I've been in this house for 9 years, never had good internet.

After paying my deposit last May I finally received an email saying it was ready to ship. I ended up canceling it and I hope I don't regret it. 3 weeks ago I saw that Verizon was offering the 5G Home for $25 a month to existing phone customers.
After talking with them we decided to give it a try it. We are only able to get LTE where we're at but so far it has been fantastic. We haven't had any internet in the 6 years we've been here.
The Home LTE is guaranteed $25 a month for 2 years. Unlimited, no data caps or throttling. Speed is 50 download so it's obviously not as fast as StarLink but plenty fast for what we use it for.
StarLink was going to be $489 in equipment and tax on top of the $99 I already paid and of course $99 per month.
Verizon was free equipment and no contract.

i think it was this thread or somewhere else on IBB that it's not really a satellite problem now, it's having enough chips to build boxes for customers to use the service?
Pretty sure Sceep's issue was not a supply issue on the dish/equipment, but not enough coverage in his area due to having too many existing customers. The earlier issue Starlink was having was a satellite supply issue and that's what kept them from so many launches last year. That seems to be over now as they are launching pretty frequently now.

Just checked on that verizon 5g thing too and "not available in my area" Beeeotch, I can see the damn tower right over there! :flipoff:

Just checked on that verizon 5g thing too and "not available in my area" Beeeotch, I can see the damn tower right over there! :flipoff:
It's also only $25 if you already have a phone on a 5G plan and if you set it up on auto pay. With out those two requirements it's $80 per month. Still not bad though.

While this doesn't really mean too much from the user side of Starlink, SpaceX just shared some pretty interesting info on how they're doing their part to take care of the space in LEO and minimize any potential impact/debris concerns above any standards and expectations that currently exist. Pretty interesting info

SpaceX

what part of the Country are you in?

I cannot wait to get mine! I am also on LTE with a Jetpack and it is shitty as fuck, I've been in this house for 9 years, never had good internet.
PNW, East side of WA.

Guessing it's a capacity/ satellite issue, not a chip issue. Tried my dishy from camp at home, 40ish miles as the crow flies. Nothing...

Got my Starlink a few weeks ago. Ordered it end of October. We couldn't get internet at our new house, and were running a Rogers Rocket hub on 4g. LTE

I have the dish just sitting on the deck, could be in a better spot up high but its been way below freezing for most of the time with lots of snow...and I got a steep roof. Its been working great for streaming, large work emails with drawings and file attachments. Doesn't work that good for zoom or facetime stuff. It freezes on occasion. Haven't tried online game play...haven't had time for video games at all. This though could be an issue with where it is setup currently and snowing.

I am happy with it though. We were going through way to much data on the cell phone hub and haven't figured out what was causing it and we have been watching minimal movies.

Pretty sure Sceep's issue was not a supply issue on the dish/equipment, but not enough coverage in his area due to having too many existing customers. The earlier issue Starlink was having was a satellite supply issue and that's what kept them from so many launches last year. That seems to be over now as they are launching pretty frequently now.
I wonder if that has to do with my glitches. When I was picking up my setup from the freight depot. There was a huge pile of Spacex boxes so lots online now around me.

About 1 year of waiting, finally!

Before, 4g LTE. Day 1 of Starlink.
speed LTE.png
Starlink day 1.png

I have seen tons of people post up that phone and cable companies are running fiber all over the place now. Its amazing how a little bit of actual competition lights a fire under their ass.

I have seen tons of people post up that phone and cable companies are running fiber all over the place now. Its amazing how a little bit of actual competition lights a fire under their ass.
frontier is running fiber right now in my town.

They're just 10 years late to the party.

edit:
a lot of it had to do with how much money they could get from the .gov to subsidize the installation and of course that money is flowing right now.

They're still saying Apr 2022 for our order, so fingers crossed.

Surprised to see that Nobody has posted this little gem in the thread yet;

starlink price hike.jpg

We're still onboard since the 3mbps down DSL provider is jacking us for $99/mo at the proposed site.

Last edited:

frontier is running fiber right now in my town.

They're just 10 years late to the party.

edit:
a lot of it had to do with how much money they could get from the .gov to subsidize the installation and of course that money is flowing right now.
A local telephone company sent out a letter to a bunch of rural residences (including mine) in an area that probably has about 1000 households last fall. They are running fiber this spring. You had to sign up by October something last year. You also had to commit to a 2 year contract. It was something like $100 for 10GB, up to $260 for unlimited data, speeds typical of fiber. I'm assuming this plan was hatched around the time we were talking "infrastructure funding" in congress. I'm happy with the (yes I know how much .gov tax credit money Musk has been able to absorb) mostly free market Starlink.

A good lesson here is how India got phone service. Back in the 80's and 90's smart people were trying to figure out how to bring phone service (later, internet) to all of India. They calculated that it would absorb a good bit of the world output of copper for years, drive the commodity price up, and cost hundreds of billions of dollars. Then cellular technology got cheap and good for voice and data. Now basically all of India is covered by wireless phone coverage and 3G or better internet. I think the Indian government subsidized some of it, but it was mostly the free market that solved this problem.

One of the funny things about most of Musk's ventures, be it SpaceX, Tesla, or Starlink, most of the .gov dollars he receives is because he is building product in a space that the consumers who buy the product (Tesla and Starlink) are the ones who are technically applying for the government dollars. In the case of SpaceX, he and Bezos applied for the government space contracts and Tesla won the bid, much like a federal highway repair contract. I will never argue that Musk's ventures haven't been the beneficiary of these dollars, I just don't think he created any of it to directly harvest those government dollars.

They're still saying Apr 2022 for our order, so fingers crossed.

Surpriced to see that Nobody has posted this little gem in the thread yet;

starlink price hike.jpg

We're still onboard since the 3mbps down DSL provider is jacking us for $99/mo at the proposed site.

This was posted in the other Starlink thread I think. It sucks, but it also makes sense. Those prices were set in '19, a 10% inflation increase seems reasonable. I do expect the price of the service will go down as technology gets cheaper, or will improve so much that it will seem like an even better deal. Musk is always late with product, but typically honors deposit holders. Prices on Starlink's end must have increased considerably for them to do this to deposit holders too.

I get that Starlink makes little sense for those in large urban areas, but out here in the sticks there is nothing better for the price, with the exception of a couple of the older satellite companies who've brought "wireless satellite" to some areas. I just found out that Wildblue put up a tower with a satellite and anyone in line of site can get unlimited data at a decent speed for about $80/mo. It only works within about 10 miles from the tower so it probably covers about 600 residences, which includes a little town of 400 people.

A local telephone company sent out a letter to a bunch of rural residences (including mine) in an area that probably has about 1000 households last fall. They are running fiber this spring. You had to sign up by October something last year. You also had to commit to a 2 year contract. It was something like $100 for 10GB, up to $260 for unlimited data, speeds typical of fiber. I'm assuming this plan was hatched around the time we were talking "infrastructure funding" in congress. I'm happy with the (yes I know how much .gov tax credit money Musk has been able to absorb) mostly free market Starlink.

I get that it's an area with limited options, but that's some shit pricing. I burn through 10gb in a couple days and that's not at fiber speeds. Other than people that really need gigabit+ fiber speeds, starlink is going to be the better option for most.

Watched them run a fiber optic line just south of my property line, but I can't tie into it

Watched them run a fiber optic line just south of my property line, but I can't tie into it
I know jack schit about fiber but if there was one on my property line it might get accidentally severed one day so it might be easier to tie into it while they repair it?
or something like that maybe? FIIK.

I ordered mine Sunday after the dish network tech that was at the house fixing our hughes net was raving about it. I got tracking Tuesday afternoon. Shit will be here Monday.:smokin:
I’m in KS. Waiting near a year thus far.

About ready to tell Elon to shove it, been waiting on deposit for over a year... Now Starlink is raising the price, maybe I will just stick with FirstNet for $40/mo unlimited data.

Top Back Refresh