What's new

Amphibious HEMTT

Ok, I got up early Monday and setup my paint booth.

IMG_0525.JPG

Sprayed the first coat. Right away I could see the feathering the edges was not going to work because it was so much harder to spray the truck than the test piece. So I pretty much just painted anything that wasn't masked.

IMG_0521.JPG

After a bit I applied a second coat. I was going to wait over night, but they expect rain all week and I wanted it done. After the second coat dried somewhat, I removed the masking.

IMG_0522.JPG

If I had done a better job masking with thinner tape where the turns would be smooth, I would leave it with the sharp lines. It looked good some places. But it didn't look good others, so I did the spray can thing.

IMG_0523.JPG

I did a shitty job with the spray can also. Again, it was much harder than the test piece because the truck was not a nice flat surface tilted back 30 degrees. I did get some terrible lines in the paint. I have to sand them down and respray.

IMG_0524.JPG

I was going to take it out for some outside pics today, but it's pouring down rain.

Looks great to me! Motor pool ≠ concours.

Remember, this trucks brethren are getting painted with rollers and housepaint!

Amazing the difference a coat of paint can make- it went from looking like 'Space 1999' to a convoy.

Thanks for the kind words. Your name got me thinking about a trick corvette like buggy with cantilever coil-overs. One of my dreams that I'll never get around to building. What's become of that? If your driving it now, pics please!

I hate to say it, but I sold it to a friend a year and a half ago unfinished . I got it to roller status, but just couldn't get my interest back into it. In the years since I started, I realized I really enjoy things with license plates. I'll never forget it though and it's the only project I haven't seen through to completion so it'll linger with me for a long time hah. So for now it's unibody jeeps, with some potential scratch built flatfender fun in the somewhat near future.

Paint is coming out great, it looks like you're on the home stretch on this thing!

Not to derail Water's thread, but this is one of the last pictures i have of it. The letdown of me letting it go is why I hold threads like this in such high regard. Water, you've seriously kicked some ass and it's been impressive to watch you nibble away at the details over the years!

IMG_4804.JPG

Not to derail Water's thread, but this is one of the last pictures i have of it. The letdown of me letting it go is why I hold threads like this in such high regard. Water, you've seriously kicked some ass and it's been impressive to watch you nibble away at the details over the years!
Yep! Definitely gets a prize for get'r done!

3aca93f2-4b86-4d3a-95cb-d04740ee3c2e-jpeg.jpg

IMG_4804.JPG
So has your friend made any progress? That picture is sexy. I could just put big tires on it and sit in my garage. Lol.

Seriously, I've never liked the shock towers on buggies. That thing is so cool.

Fun assembling. Just putting headlights in gives it some character. I blacked out the shiny trim.

IMG_0526.JPG

I got the AC condenser grill, intake grill and engine vent grill installed.

IMG_0527.JPG

You might notice the entire AC grill is in a black part of the camo. I didn't even think about it whe I was taping it off. Of course the two smaller grills were in a split of the camo. I thought about painting the screen half green, but ended up leaving it all flat black. I think it looks alright.

IMG_0528.JPG

Looks great with the paint job!

Will there be a painted cover panel for the back of the instruments there visible through the windshield? They kinda stand out now.

I cant wait to see this thing swim
It will be awhile. Right now I just want to get it on the road. Then I want to completely rebuild the canvas cover. I also would like to rework the front steering. After that, back to swimming modifications.

So, maybe two years. Lol

Looks great with the paint job!

Will there be a painted cover panel for the back of the instruments there visible through the windshield? They kinda stand out now.
Yes, I allready have it built and painted. I'm still doing some wiring in there. Actually, I have quite a bit of interior work. I haven't even bought the radio yet. But I have provision for it on the overhead console. I want one with a screen for backup camera. (This thing is hard to back up.)

So I got most of the trim on and the big tires. First pics with green wheels.

IMG_0529.JPG

That's with the airbags set for highway cruising. (About 2" up travel) Here it is with about 6" up travel.

IMG_0530.JPG

Another highway.

IMG_0531.JPG

And off road.

IMG_0532.JPG

The only pic I got of the back. I don't have the tail lights or the rear window in yet.

IMG_0533.JPG

I'm going out of state again. So the bumper and rollbar will have to wait till I get home. The front fenders are kind of floppy because they mount to the bumper.

IMG_0534.JPG

Looks sick. :beer:

Also, grass grows very well where you are.
Thanks guys,

I have about 8 acres of grass on my property. I mow about one acre around the house and the driveway every week or so. The rest gets mowed every couple months. Lol

Thanks guys,

Hope to get back on it soon. Lot of shit going on right now. It's fun just seeing it in the garage. Lol.

It's rad to see this project come together from the sidelines after all of this time..not knowing what to think of the plan or understand it really. Then, it comes to this point and it starts to really come together and make sense. Well executed man. :beer:

Thanks again guys,

I made a small mount for the lisince plate light. It turned out OK.

IMG_0537.JPG

The whole thing fits up tight under and behind the bumper.

IMG_0538.JPG

I also got all the rear lights mounted and working. The reverse light is the row of lights just above the receiver hitch. It really lights up.

IMG_0539.JPG

Got the lower windows in up front and mounted the bumper. The lights up front we're allready wired, so all lights work now. They are all LEDs.

IMG_0540.JPG

Got the rear window in. I was just going to paint the hatch black, but what the hell, painted the camo line across. I know the paint looks blotchy here, but it just oil from installing the glass. Mounting the glass in that rubber sucks. My fingers are worn out. I dread doing the windshields.

IMG_0541.JPG

Got the dash top on. Frames the instruments nice. I know dark pic.

IMG_0542.JPG

Of course the pax side is still a complete mess. Still got some wiring to do. Also tidy up the wires and get all hvac ducting secured.

IMG_0543.JPG

That's all for now.

Out of curiosity, did you use the rope trick when installing your back glass? I have never done it, but from what I understand that is the easiest way to install window glass into a rubber gasketed frame.
Essentially you stuff a piece of light rope such as paracord or maybe a little heavier into the slot, then stick the glass in on top of it so that the glass holds it down and one of the ends comes out from under the glass.
Then you pull up on the rope so that the rope forces the gasket to come up and let the window go down into its place, then the live over the gasket drops back down on top of the glass.

Aaron Z

I know about the rope trick. I've even seen it done on a big windshield years ago. My rubber has the locking beed that should make it unnecessary. I fit all my own glass. I didn't know what I was doing and I probably fit it too tight. There was no one in my area that would take the job. It is definitely a job I would have liked to farm out.

When I saw the rope trick, it worked real slick. But they had four guys there and lots of hands. I'm doing this all myself.

Top Back Refresh