What's new

83 pickup that went full buggy,

funny story to add to this train wreck. my buddy in the next town over found out i bend the dana 60, he was go eaton ho72, i have one here with 5.14 gears right now.

FUCK...... i know both 14 bolt and eaton are good. this is gonna take some thought......
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

i got a 14 bolt the other night. when its stripped down, no hubs or drums its not as a heavy as i thought it would be. i will have to get a weight if it weight bare just because. i would estimate it not much more than 150 pound difference, and it all low weight so thats ok. racing and jumping it would be a different story. but not for me.

damn did i say this 14 bolt is huge yet. omg...

got the truss welded up this weekend. it was from tab zone, we were going to just make out of what ever, but i saw this and it made short work.

i will stop at quick performance this week and get the gears and set up kit sometime this week.
1690815263644.png

1690815290297.png

1690815351954.png

set gears last night in the 14 bolt. wow these are crazy easy compared to dana 60. all the same steps but the adjust ment s that have to be made on the 14 bolts are so much fast / easier to do. also installed crush sleeve eliminator, that took a bit to get preload just right. but still way easier than any 60. so far i got to say i love the size of this thing. wow... i can really fuck up my driving now.... hahahaha

They still break haha

After touching a 14 bolt you won't want to have anything to do with a 60.

Then wait until you do a Ford dropout.

i know i was all ready saving why dont more people do 14 bolt steer axle. beside s the hard part of building the axle.

and i have always been in love with the 9 inch but they need a bunch of work i think to make them as good. dont get me wrong i would like to build one some day. and the FB market place has ford drop outs and axles all day long. sad part is its all 28 spl or 31. so decent but not where i want it.

by Ford9, I mean anything loosely based on the platform.

You need to spend $ to get the good stuff.

If you're wanting a big boy 9" there's no point in going with any junkyard parts.

If you want a 14b front, start collecting parts to use a 14b center and 05+ outters, then you can sell that kingpin D60 for a pretty penny when you're ready to swap.

true on the junk yard ford stuff.
i have started to look for random 14 bolt stuff for sure. i think it would a super fun project to build a steer front 14 bolt.

true on the junk yard ford stuff.
i have started to look for random 14 bolt stuff for sure. i think it would a super fun project to build a steer front 14 bolt.

Look into what years are better than others. I belive the later ones are better than the early versions. May as well get the best one if you're taking the time to build it into a front.

Bebop probably knows.

is there enough tube to build. ~70" wms front on a stock rear?

all good questions.

that thread called operation slug nutz. he did front rear steer 14 bolts with toyota. seemed pretty cool. not sure if he got it finished.

Look into what years are better than others. I belive the later ones are better than the early versions. May as well get the best one if you're taking the time to build it into a front.

Bebop probably knows.
05-11 is what you want

is there enough tube to build. ~70" wms front on a stock rear?
Absolutely not. 14 bolt tubes are also not round. Needs retubed anyway.

good am,

did some prep for the AOP trip this weekend. added a second tranny cooler and changed out my water pump.

so how do you get the air pockets out of a LS with rear mounted RAD,
easy day if you fill the engine block up first. i did this by separating the top rad hose here. and poured in about half gallon of coolant.
1695644645924.png

then went back and used this fancy rad/funnel thing and slightly over filled the rad. and this let me run the engine for 20 -30 minutes or so and when ever it would burp some air it made no mess. also at the steam port i also was burping air through the entire process.
1695644792857.png

engine stayed right at 194 to 196 the entire time and when i shut it down and engine totaly cooled off all the water in the funnel went back into the engine. so this was a simple as they get air purge.
1695644914408.png

mech. gauge sit at 180 all the time but i think that is because the actual temp probe is outside the engine block in this adapter. so i just know the mech gauge is about 20 degrees off early in the day and toward the end they kinda level out.

1695644952597.png

1695645291650.png

1695645442384.png

good morning

went to a local event this weekend where they let on the motocross track to drive around and then play on the property and hit a few of the hills. this is one of the siad hills.

good times excavating with the tires.....

hello all,
been a minute. i am going to do a little refresh with the interior starting real soon. i dislike the lack of a dash, storage space and how hard it is getting in and out having the front bar raked back. shifters for tcase suck, need to get the leverage figured out.

redoing the rear bars to protect the back more. here is a concept pic. and want to do the same to the front A pillar bar. i may figure out doors too. new power steering system from radial dynamics is where i am looking right now.
new high steer arm for solid knuckles and i found a set of 40 inch USD stickies so thats my list so far. hahaha

1706032169617.png

1706029297029.png

Attachments

• 1706032011989.png
    1706032011989.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 7
i honestly like it too, but you need swing in not step in. i know its not a car. main reason is if i push it forward a bit i can build a dash with a bit of room time will tell. :beer: thanks for the feed back

This is gonna sound dumb but how do you get in? I step in my buggy left foot first, hold the roof, put right foot in and slip right into the seat. Getting in right foot first is way harder. I have a shorter window opening than you but probably a longer opening.

your all bringing up good points. in my group i am in and out at every freaking chance. i bet in a given day i could get out 25 times. either checking on a truck. bull shitting or what ever the reason the group stops moving. so i think i am in and out often. and maybe i am making mountains out of mole hills

your all bringing up good points. in my group i am in and out at every freaking chance. i bet in a given day i could get out 25 times. either checking on a truck. bull shitting or what ever the reason the group stops moving. so i think i am in and out often. and maybe i am making mountains out of mole hills
Yeah getting in and out sucks. I hope people I wheel with dont think Im stuck up, but I dont always get out because of it being such a pain on top of the harness on and off. That is part of why I got my buggy. My friend that had it is about 70 and he said him and his wife were getting too old to be crawling in and out of it. I suggested he build swinging doors for it but he did want to.

Yours looks easier to get in than mine but that is just from the pictures.

Forget the USDs
They suck

I wouldn't touch the front. Change your pattern to get in and out. Or put doors.

For the back, you need more triangles and tying the shock mounts to the down bar :

1706032169617.png

Yeah getting in and out sucks. I hope people I wheel with dont think Im stuck up, but I dont always get out because of it being such a pain on top of the harness on and off. That is part of why I got my buggy. My friend that had it is about 70 and he said him and his wife were getting too old to be crawling in and out of it. I suggested he build swinging doors for it but he did want to.

Yours looks easier to get in than mine but that is just from the pictures.
dont get me wrong it is pretty easy. sometimes a pain on a side will swinging in. again i am over thinking alot of shit for sure.

Another vote for USD suck and touch the front......Honestly I wouldn't touch front or rear.

Swing doors are all the rage. I personnel like the feeling of sitting deep inside a buggy. Doors would take that away for me.

Swing doors are all the rage. I personnel like the feeling of sitting deep inside a buggy. Doors would take that away for me.
Agreed, I feel so much safer that way.

Top Back Refresh