What's new

83 pickup that went full buggy,

awesome to see you out in this after all the hard work. new wheel/tire combo looks awesome on the buggy :smokin:

so still adding and redoing things.
i ditched to big black tool box and fine-tuned what i actually need to carry. i got two 20mm ammo cans that fir the space perfect. and this neat-O 6 quart oil container rack.
also installed a 3 quart oil accumulator. because one trip out and sitting on a steep hill pointing down waiting, i started to drop oil pressure.

and it all fit in that space where the black box was.

before pic is first.
1687876543451.png

1687876578496.png

1687876620159.png

1687876653376.png

1687876692478.png

1687876740448.png

1687876780746.png

good am

few updates, took the buggy to SMORR this last weekend. it worked amazing and i was crazy hard on on it. breakage = upgrades... i had no idea i could bend a dana 60 housing but i did. i also broke two bolts in my king pin pass side high steer arm.

i have a 14 bolt in the works right now. i will pick it up wed.
the housing may not be bent, it could be that the truss is bent and is holding the axle in a bend and if i remove the truss it will spring back. but not gonna worry about it. 14 bolt time.

1689683277161.png

1689683330245.png

1689683368520.png

good am

few updates, took the buggy to SMORR this last weekend. it worked amazing and i was crazy hard on on it. breakage = upgrades... i had no idea i could bend a dana 60 housing but i did. i also broke two bolts in my king pin pass side high steer arm.

i have a 14 bolt in the works right now. i will pick it up wed.
the housing may not be bent, it could be that the truss is bent and is holding the axle in a bend and if i remove the truss it will spring back. but not gonna worry about it. 14 bolt time.

1689683277161.png

1689683330245.png

1689683368520.png
What does it weigh in it's current configuration?

until i pull the other side and run a light or laser bean down i wont be able to tell, also could be since the trus is bent and links are holding it in its new shape it may spring back. i wont know until i cut it apart.

until i pull the other side and run a light or laser bean down i wont be able to tell, also could be since the trus is bent and links are holding it in its new shape it may spring back. i wont know until i cut it apart.
I would guess that the truss being twisted up from the links is bowing the axle. I'd be curious of how much it moves if you cut the truss. Do the laser before and after, for science

I would guess that the truss being twisted up from the links is bowing the axle. I'd be curious of how much it moves if you cut the truss. Do the laser before and after, for science
i have to work on my kids car for the next couple weeks so all i can do now is pull other axle and laser.

That housing is jacked mostly cause the truss failed. I have more faith in a 14b with the pinion tied into the truss. They still bend though, do a full length truss and it'll help.

so i got the pass side axle out last night and pictures may not do it justice. i have a spool in so by rights i should be able to see clean out the other side. i can only see a half moon. lol
and you are correct 94toy, i too think the truss shit design lead to this bending. if i can find the seller on ebay that i got it from i will send him the pics, just so he could redesign the truss.

That's one way to do it... I've about had it with my 14b catching every rock I go over. I'm going to start a 9" or 609 if the funds allow it.

i am worried about the 14 bolt dragging but not enough not get one under it. kinda like the cost of doing business.
my thoughts are just do the 1 inch shave not the 2 inch shave and weld in new plate.

You can get a $1000 14 bolt that will do the same job as a $7/8000 609.

Is the extra 1" of ground clearance and 200lbs difference worth 6+k to you ?

You can get a $1000 14 bolt that will do the same job as a $7/8000 609.

Is the extra 1" of ground clearance and 200lbs difference worth 6+k to you ?
here is my break down of cost so far in the 14 bolt.
-14 bolt, free besides labor to help the buddy i am getting it from set up gears in another axle he has, i am more of apprentice at doing the gears, i still need help.
-yoke 1410 $100 because drive shaft is all ready 1410.
- gears 5.13 $150 ish plus set up kit 200 or so
-mini spool because it is coming with housing $ 100
  • truss and link brackets pinion guard - building local, so cost of steel
  • diff cover. undecided yet. but $150- 250 depending on what i get. may build my may buy.
  • spare shafts -$ 50 each or so. future will be chromo, 250 - 350 each
-brakes. reuse what i have on old housing. just cut them off
- do i need stage 8 locking for axle shafts? if i do these $200 more.
-lug stud, maybe i need them. wont know till i try one of my lug nuts

i am sure i am missing some things but this is what i have in my mind so far.

full cut is dumb, leaks like a mofo all the time.

My 13b leaks too, I have to re-seal periodically.

If I had to do it again I'd keep it 14 bolt. Clearance be damned.

Top Back Refresh