What's new

83 pickup that went full buggy,

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
this is what i call the GOAT 3.5

so i thouhgt i would post some things i have done with the 83 PU, its been tore down two full times and a slew of other times

here is a few pics of what it was and where i am at in the build.

for the first few years i stayed all toyota, built up the axles to what i considered the max, longs, six shooters and gussets but still broke R/P so that is why i am swapping to dana 60s. staying with toyota 22r and propane, got the turbo but not going to install right away.

20160206_104639.jpg

20160529_053948.jpg

20150720_195738.jpg

20191019_165230.jpg

Last edited:
so i mocked up my coil overs last night, yes upside down, first time now i know ... lol and holly buckets 1410 u- IMG_2825.jpg 1414 vs toyota.jpg mocked up.jpg joint compared to toyota wow huige
and my mallard duck for axle side coil over mount.

IMG_2809.jpg

mallard mount.jpg

got RAD mounted today, got coil overs mounted yesterday and say rig on all 4 wheel and di the wide open design calc for what springs to order next. turns out i am doing a 150 and 175 for the front and rear is 150 and 150 thats what the number said any how. also started putting primer white on the tubes. painted links an awesome green... also made a thriple sheer mount for steering...

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

smorr yes i few times as the green pick up. last year was the week after 4th of july 2020, then nov 2019 , been to howey palooza a couple times in april before that

smorr yes i few times as the green pick up. last year was the week after 4th of july 2020, then nov 2019 , been to howey palooza a couple times in april before that

yeah, the green version is what looked familiar and it was probably howiepalooza, I used to have a tan 1st gen.

Subscribed. I caught you at the motocross place outside of Marshalltown last year. Just to be clear, this is or isn't the yellow rig from your avatar? I'm definitely itching to be back at MIOBI soon. You work fast, I need to pick up the pace on my build it seems.

Subscribed. I caught you at the motocross place outside of Marshalltown last year. Just to be clear, this is or isn't the yellow rig from your avatar? I'm definitely itching to be back at MIOBI soon. You work fast, I need to pick up the pace on my build it seems.

yes this is the same rig nice meeting up again. what did you drive at the motocross

I'm catching up now, that thing was solid before. The new plan is to lighten it up or what? Thats a load of scrap you cut off there!

on a side bar i still have some old part that you maybe interested in especially if your local.
Im between Marshalltown and Ames, so yeah local covers it pretty well. That would be sweet. I have a green XJ (has an awning on the side if it helps you remember) that was at the motocross place, but I picked up an 82 Yota pickup I'm working on now for a trail rig.

at first the goal was to get lighter, but then i found dana 60s and 4 links and holly buckets. so i feel like it will be right back where it was. lol

got a few more things done over the last week, coil overs are installed and ride height set. limit straps installed in front, still need a build a cross member for the front for a center limit strap for front axle. exhaust is done, parts store sold a small (12 inch) glass pack witch fits perfect right under the pedals, welded a couple bolts to top of glass pack to make a cheap heat shield.
got to build a couple drive shafts and run the wiring for lights. also did get truck started over the weekend too. glass pack is a bit louder than what i had but it will be fine. did a bit of flexing with cherry picker too.

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

we made it down to OK RMR or burris valley ranch. did great,

had a few shake down issues, number one was me learning how to drive this thing being so stinking wide, that was a challenge for sure. also had my brake master cyl and booster rod adjusted wrong, brakes were on / dragging the hole first day but because i was doing nothing but a giant rock garden i did not notice until that evening when we were driving around on the haul roads and i would shift and felt the truck stop between shifts, hell i could stop pointing down hill truck in neutral and it would not roll. hahaha fixed that and wow

steering orbital needs addressed, the one i had is the one i used and it was like 12 turns lock to lock or some shit. way too many, got another and now its 6, but i still want better so on the hunt still.

cheers

my steering wheel feels like it is too high so not sure if i just deal with it or get crazy and rework the dash a bit .. hmmmm....

Top Back Refresh