What's new

7.3 thread continued?

So how do I connect forscan to the MX+?? It arrived today, the truck also had a CEL when I started it after work, died after driving 100 yards, started back up fine, and got me to the parts store, where I bought a CPS and swapped it. Seemed to run smoother, but the CEL was still there. It hiccuped twice in a row then the light went out on the way home.

Plugged in the mx+, connected to their app, and saw no stored codes. Can't figure how to connect to it using forescan.

you try unplugging it and running it? IT will run default pressure without the sensor in the loop

With the ICP unplugged it assumes a default injection pressure and tunes from there. So it might idle a little high or a little rough but it will run.

But it runs fine.

Starts fine, runs fine....except when it just flat out shut down...then restarted fine.

I've read that oil in the plug is a sign of failure of the ICP sensor...I have oil in the plug. Lots of it in fact.

A little oil is not uncommon but a lot means it has probably failed. It can do weird things. If you can cruise around with it unplugged and it doesnt happen, then its probably your problem.

Ive also seen a bad pigtail on the ICP, IPR and CAMP all cause weird stalling issues, but since you have an ICP code, just replace it. Go OEM, dont buy an aftermarket one.

X2 on using an OEM one, and from a reputable dealer, not Amazon. Lots of counterfeit parts around. Change the pigtail, too.

Mark

A little oil is not uncommon but a lot means it has probably failed. It can do weird things. If you can cruise around with it unplugged and it doesnt happen, then its probably your problem.

Ive also seen a bad pigtail on the ICP, IPR and CAMP all cause weird stalling issues, but since you have an ICP code, just replace it. Go OEM, dont buy an aftermarket one.
Also, if the plug is fuked up, shorting out, unplugging it won’t make a difference, at least in my limited experience ymmv.

rock auto is the cheapest source, riff raff is a little more, but both less than $200 for genuine part.-edit nevermind, looks like rockauto does not carry the motorcraft icp anymore. Injection Control Pressure ICP Sensor 97-03

I was just saying next time is doesnt crank or cuts off unplug icp and try it. Likely not your problem if it still doesnt crank.

Its really good idea to download something like forscan and watch icp/ipr and you can save alot of time/$ :beer:

Last edited:
rock auto is the cheapest source, riff raff is a little more, but both less than $200 for genuine part.-edit nevermind, looks like rockauto does not carry the motorcraft icp anymore.

I was just saying next time is doesnt crank or cuts off unplug icp and try it. Likely not your problem if it still doesnt crank.

Its really good idea to download something like forscan and watch icp/ipr and you can save alot of time/$ :beer:

I have forscan, gotta figure out how to look at all the parameters while driving. Cranking is not a problem, it's never had an issue starting. When it dies it will flash back up immediately.

I'm in Canada too, so the prices are about in line.

I have forscan, gotta figure out how to look at all the parameters while driving. Cranking is not a problem, it's never had an issue starting. When it dies it will flash back up immediately.

I'm in Canada too, so the prices are about in line.
What you're describing sounds more like a CPS issue than an ICP sensor one. Tuned rigs can throw and ICP code just by asking for more pressure than the HPOP can deliver, but that's more of a nuisance than a problem, and will not cause a stall.

Mark

What you're describing sounds more like a CPS issue than an ICP sensor one. Tuned rigs can throw and ICP code just by asking for more pressure than the HPOP can deliver, but that's more of a nuisance than a problem, and will not cause a stall.

Mark

I replaced the CPS last night, and the code is a 1280.

Last edited:
And the symptom is that it starts fine, runs fine, but just quits without warning once in awhile? But always starts right back up?

I'd suggest you pop over to the 99-03 PSD forum on FTE, as there are guys there that have forgotten more about these things than I know. Here's an example of the help you can get there: Trouble Code P1280 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Mark

1208 or 1280?

And the symptom is that it starts fine, runs fine, but just quits without warning once in awhile? But always starts right back up?

I'd suggest you pop over to the 99-03 PSD forum on FTE, as there are guys there that have forgotten more about these things than I know. Here's an example of the help you can get there: Trouble Code P1280 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Mark

So far, yes. That's exactly it. And the CEL has turned off twice. Once when it died when I was trying to do live monitoring on my obd2 scanner, and once when it hiccuped on the way home the other night after I swapped the CPS.

Kc probably recommended you andrew at aa tuning. He will revise the tunes for you. Pm me ill shoot you his #

I wouldnt recommend 1023 i did not like how they ran in my truck nor the lack of customer service
1023 sells tunes?

They wanted to put a new engine in my 97 F350 when it ended up being a dud "new" injector that THEY installed.

I brought it in for low power (could barely hold 65mph on a flat road).

The owner, Robert, told me these engines weren't easy to figure out. After it was there for several weeks and "fixed" twice.

Another shop fixed it in a couple days.

Last edited:
Son is looking at buying a 2001 e450 box van with the 7.3. It broke an injector tip off while my buddy was driving it. He had it towed home.
What are the odds that the motor isn't fucked? What's a new/rebuilt 7.3 going for now-a-days? I'm not looking forward to potentially R&R'ing the damn van in my gravel driveway. Might be worth stripping the box off just soo we can get it in the shop.

It broke an injector tip off while my buddy was driving it. He had it towed home.
What are the odds that the motor isn't fucked?
Odds are low. The tip probably made a bouncy house in the cylinder till it either lodged in the piston or by some miracle made it out the exhaust valve and is now playing patty cake with the turbo.
(random internet picture)
1665691039328.png

And vans are so fun to work on with no room on 7.3 setups. Good luck! :laughing:

Odds are low. The tip probably made a bouncy house in the cylinder till it either lodged in the piston or by some miracle made it out the exhaust valve and is now playing patty cake with the turbo.
(random internet picture)
And vans are so fun to work on with no room on 7.3 setups. Good luck! :laughing:
From what i'm told, just the tiny little nipple end broke off, not the whole end. (dumb ass buddy threw the old injector away so no way to verify.) Working on putting it back together to see what kind of noises it makes.

1665691273852.png

Top Back Refresh