What's new

60's Coot Atv thing

Cool project that you don't see often for sure. Hate to second guess you here but

"Needs tires, thinking UTV (r15), muffler, and gas tank ASAP"
"Tires acquired. 30x10r14 atv tires"
Hopefully misprint on the 14"

Cool project that you don't see often for sure. Hate to second guess you here but

"Needs tires, thinking UTV (r15), muffler, and gas tank ASAP"
"Tires acquired. 30x10r14 atv tires"
Hopefully misprint on the 14"
Yes, that is a typo. I got two of the tires on yesterday so I'm pretty sure they fit :lmao:

But I'm giving up and taking them to the tire shop. The tire is so rusted on there I can't get it off even backing over it with my truck

Yes, that is a typo. I got two of the tires on yesterday so I'm pretty sure they fit :lmao:

But I'm giving up and taking them to the tire shop. The tire is so rusted on there I can't get it off even backing over it with my truck
I was like well that could explain why he had trouble changing them.

Tires are on. Local les schwab dude was cool.

Cut in the sidewall on one, he wouldn't air it up.... Wish me luck

20230525_143745.jpg

It drives! Turning radius is about half a mile. May get some wheel spacers for the front, should give me a little more steering angle.
20230525_151155.jpg

20230525_154314.jpg

May just leave the throttle as a hand throttle. This thing is tiny. I don't know if I would have enough room to move my foot up and down! :lmao:

Slept on it, definitely needs more splash shield, that is right where the tire will fling shmoo....
I need a sheet metal brake now.... I will make one that goes right up to the exhaust outlet height, hopefully most of the exhaust still goes outside.

Wheel spacers arrived, not sure I got much more steering angle with the new splash shield.... But its done. Its crazy how cheap China can make things.
52938260528_3f032be40c_h.jpg

52937219212_364c5f2328_h.jpg

My shitty sheet metal skills. This was way thicker than needed.... Had to score with the grinder to even bend it.
52938207875_6e1a090aa8_h.jpg

52937815221_ca9979476d_h.jpg

Driving position sucks....LOL
52937967279_0d776f29c5_h.jpg

And I need a new brake line, I am no expert, but its puking between the hard and soft line connection, and its tight (ish).

Rear tub had no drain plug. I added one. Drill hole, add bung. Run out of welding wore half way around.... I

20230601_193231.jpg

Good thing I didn't go bigger spacers. Just fit in the dump trailer.
20230601_200759.jpg

It's starting to shift a little. Turns better with the spacers, but still a BITCH on concrete.

Be a good candidate for the 12v power steering column that some go karts get now. That whole front steering setup is acting like a giant wheel spacer already.

Be a good candidate for the 12v power steering column that some go karts get now. That whole front steering setup is acting like a giant wheel spacer already.
Hmmm haven't seen that. This is literally a rack and pinion under the dash.
20230525_185942.jpg

Edit : I don't have a 12v system....

After he weekend, I need a couple things, first is foot throttle. Wife and kid requested, and I think they are right.

Second, a chain guard, mostly because I soaked it in oil for a few days and it flung it all over me, and second, easy to catch a foot in.

I think I have some old bike cables laying around for the throttle, I will need to look.

Electric start would be reallllllly nice. Its on the wish list.

And she's stuck..... Broke the steering. Set screw it seems, either backed out or broke off. I think I found the bottom half of it. But threads must be toast. May be thru bolted, but I need to crawl under the dash and take a video of the hole.

1000011222.jpg

1000011223.jpg

looks like you were having fun till that happened anyway.

access in there to drill and thru bolt if it wasn't before? set screws never give me confidence long term

looks like you were having fun till that happened anyway.

access in there to drill and thru bolt if it wasn't before? set screws never give me confidence long term
It may have been thru bolted. I found a chunk if thred and a nut on it. I'll try to get a pic of the other side. It's not exactly in an easy spot to see. Sadly I think it's a 3/16 ish bolt and I only have down to 1/4-20 and I'm not sure it will clear the rack there

if it was a through-bolt, wonder if it'd be more convenient to drop in a hardened shear pin? can't remember if the snowblower ones I have kicking around are 1/4 or 3/16

I bet that'd be a tank with baby skidder chains.

if it was a through-bolt, wonder if it'd be more convenient to drop in a hardened shear pin? can't remember if the snowblower ones I have kicking around are 1/4 or 3/16

Definately was having fun. It may be high centered, but I'll try to steer first. The steering is real robust, so I think having that as a weak point may be good.
I bet that'd be a tank with baby skidder chains.
They came with angle iron bar chains as a factory option :laughing: wheels have hooks on them to attach.

Well it's out of the creek. Drilled the hole bigger, Shoved a 1/4 bolt thru, cut the head off (it hit the rack) wrapped some tape around it for a retainer.
1000011264.jpg

now unfortunately I think I blew the front diff up. It slips when loaded hard.
And shavings....

1000011265.jpg

Attachments

• 1000011265.jpg
    1000011265.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
So do I dare take this thing into the swamp with intermittent 4wd? If it gets stuck, remember it 100% will not roll. Either I fix it out there or drag it 1/4 mile. By hand.

I need to carry pallets and it would be much easier to load a few in the coot and drive out.

2 creeks, then the rest is dirt/weeds/trees and soupy....

1000010818.jpg

The bronze gear may be available, just stupid $. I guess a guy had a batch made a few years ago

I'd probably bomb it around close to camp on some hard stuff and see if I break it, before I went and broke it out in the woods after making everything even weaker :homer:

Top Back Refresh