What's new

60's Coot Atv thing

Java230

???
Member Number
So Java has another project.....

It's a Coot. My aunt and uncle had one in Alaska. I spent summers up there as a kid. Always kinda wanted one, so its on the monthly CL search.

This one is an early 60's it's been bubba'ed. Drain holes look to be filled in. Patches and holes on the sides. Not factory engine. Possible not factory cvt on engine side.

It's a worm drive front and rear. Locked all times with shitty turning radius. Articulates in the middle to keep tires on the ground. It floats!

So day two of trying to get it, they couldnt meet the agreed upon day and time.... Luckily I was not too far into the drive when he called. ITs ~2 hrs each way.

Headed up. Tundra does fine. 11,620lbs as it sat empty (bed is full of tools camp shit etc)
52424278489_fa03a83da7_4k.jpg

Loaded up, what fucking pain in the ass. Wheels wont roll. At ALL. Angle iron ramps on the trailer makes it a no go. Some scraps of wood, come along, and three guys got it in....
52424278464_ff30462c29_h.jpg

Getting it out, I went to disconnect the drive shaft to try to make it roll, then got smart, a bar in the U joint and it just slowly walked it out of the trailer....
Parked in the front driveway:) no HOA life FTW.
52423485992_f2d80d1d59_h.jpg

So some Googling, they dont like to roll after sitting or at al really. The diff's are worm drive, not enough gear angle I guess. But front and rear tires are locked together, driveshaft is solid between the "diffs"
52424447815_ad565c888b_h.jpg

Popped the diff covers, rear has a little surface rust, front is clean. Any idea how much lube this type thing should have? There is some in the bottom, above the bottom of the vertical gear. So its definitely not locked up. Whew.
52423990466_8ebb3daa05_h.jpg

I got the engine started, pull and elec, but no battery. output may be bent? Def not factory.
Carb puked gas out everywhere. I pulled it.... Bubba sucks.

Custom intake isnt so bad. But nuts just hit the wall, so you cant use your fingers to spin them off, and its one or two flats at a time with a wrench. Well then carb does not fit off the studs.... I can see plier marks on the studs.... OK, I will do the same. Unscrew studs, and take the whole shit show off. Bowl oring is toast. Gasket for bowl drain is a little tired. Soda/beer box gaskets, looks like big red?

52423989996_bcbeb9be08_h.jpg

52423989911_e43dea6f22_h.jpg

52424277629_311f177751_h.jpg

52424446885_4b106cd1af_h.jpg

Bubba had been there, so i did the same....RTV for the bowl gasket. done. Reinstalled. Its still puking, out the top? And left side by the stud??? I hate carbs. filling the intake elbow too.... Float seemed free moving. All passageways were sprayed with carb cleaner?

Its a Mikuni 73a (??)

More bubba...
52424278294_6aa50438e6_h.jpg

52424510063_11156ac3e2_h.jpg

Needs tires, thinking UTV (r15), muffler, and gas tank ASAP.

Buddy has one that he's fixed up. Fill the diff until the gear is in oil and it doesn't leak out the top. No they don't roll at all. Engine was crap so he stuff a HF Predator in it. Similar types of mods that he's fixed up. Will grab some pics. Another buddy wanted to practice his body work so he pounded, filled, and sanded the fenders and most of the tub nearly straight. It was used for a mobile gold sluice, which as rough and miserable as these thing ride it's a wonder the guy could even walk or pan gold after driving it.

Buddy has one that he's fixed up. Fill the diff until the gear is in oil and it doesn't leak out the top. No they don't roll at all. Engine was crap so he stuff a HF Predator in it. Similar types of mods that he's fixed up. Will grab some pics. Another buddy wanted to practice his body work so he pounded, filled, and sanded the fenders and most of the tub nearly straight. It was used for a mobile gold sluice, which as rough and miserable as these thing ride it's a wonder the guy could even walk or pan gold after driving it.
Thanks!

OK needs more oil then. Probably bad axle seals.

I have a Honda 13hp that's been sitting under Mt workbench for a couple years. Mayneed to swap that in.

Bent output?

Carbs piss me off. Its puking gas in this area, almost seems like behind the stud?
52424260282_82324c541a_h.jpg

Still need muffler and tire suggestions :eek:

On the tires, the old school Coot guys say a more "round" tread makes turning much easier. Similar to the old school jeep style ones on there now.

UTV tires would be good since they will have the same ballooned tread face to help with steering. Nothing else to add other than this is awesome!

YES!!!

I love these things. If I could find one local-ish I would buy it today.

Those diffs probably won't roll at all. Worm gears gonna worm gear.

I don't really have a recommendation for something that is going to be used off road all the time.

I would look for the cheapest tires and run those.

OK Thanks! I will find something, I like the interco ones, low pressure.
YES!!!

I love these things. If I could find one local-ish I would buy it today.

Those diffs probably won't roll at all. Worm gears gonna worm gear.
YES! I have been half assed looking for awhile.

looks like it to me!
DAMNIT.

Thoughts on just swapping the 13hp Honda while I am here? This one looks bigger? Has electric start too, And they came with 18hp ish original.

swap it in. Not like it's gonna do anything more amazing with 5 more hp. Buddies had the hole in the side where yours does for muffler as well I think. Will get some pics this weekend, he had a bunch or crap piled on it tonight and couldn't really see it very well.

swap it in. Not like it's gonna do anything more amazing with 5 more hp. Buddies had the hole in the side where yours does for muffler as well I think. Will get some pics this weekend, he had a bunch or crap piled on it tonight and couldn't really see it very well.
The one that's in there has electric start though......

Would 3 wheeler tires be big enough ? I picked up some from Rocky Mountain atv for my friends 1984 Honda big red 200 earlier this summer Kenda scorpion 25x12-9. There’s also some off brand on flee bay.

Would 3 wheeler tires be big enough ? I picked up some from Rocky Mountain atv for my friends 1984 Honda big red 200 earlier this summer Kenda scorpion 25x12-9. There’s also some off brand on flee bay.
I need 28 ish r15

I think I found some used ones locally.

Check out system 3, they have every different type of tread you would want.

What type of terrain are you usually in?

28s for a 15 won't be super common, but should be some available. 30s seem to be the transition from 14s to 15s roughly.

Worm drive by design won't really roll, has some upsides also. Especially in an old pos with basically no brakes :laughing:

Check out system 3, they have every different type of tread you would want.

What type of terrain are you usually in?

28s for a 15 won't be super common, but should be some available. 30s seem to be the transition from 14s to 15s roughly.

Worm drive by design won't really roll, has some upsides also. Especially in an old pos with basically no brakes :laughing:
28-30 is the general idea.

Swamp, snow, dirt.

Yes worm drive is good with a tiny little motor. And for negotiation prices since it won't roll :laughing:

It has a brake on the driveshaft, exactly zero brake fluid, and something off a motorcycle that bubba put on it looks like....:lmao:

Ordered an Amazon carb. Fuck this nonsense. Hope it bolts up.....

Has some electrical connection on the float bowl? WTF?

Probably, how do it kill it off? I don't need it. Id like to be able to pull start.
It's normally a solenoid that pulls a plunger off the main jet when given 12v.

Could probably cut the plunger off, or weld it pulled, etc. Some carbs have a kit that is a fitting without the fuel shut off. I had put one on a garden tractor I had a snowblower on. The carb bowel would get a tiny bit of water in it from condensation and would cause the plunger to freeze closed.

Gx390 no workie. Too wide.

20221017_165930.jpg

Engine spacing is Off. OE belt is way too loose.

Interco Aqua Torques an option since the Coot steers like the Argos? Almost strictly lateral bars with enough arch to them that the fronts and rears could oppose tread directions for easier turning.

Might ridiculous for that machine. Just a though. I have a pair that I can get pics and measurements from next week.

Top Back Refresh