What's new

4th Gen 4Runner: Cross Country Runner

Another 360 mile day today.

Went up to the Lamar Valley. Absolutely amazing countryside up there.

Also stopped at the Yellowstone Grand Canyon, which was unreal, and a couple looks outs.

I’m going to be honest, Yellowstone is just “meh.” That park is just too big unless you’re camping in it. But, we did get an amazing view of the Tetons this evening and they got snow today.

Back to the Bridger tomorrow. We are done with Yellowstone.
6D9E631E-FBDA-4F2B-B641-CE366C4C6CF9.jpeg
D5BE1213-D8AB-4BB0-BE6A-DAEEF9EB59F1.jpeg
036C9DAF-1A1F-469F-A803-4C7472AEE676.jpeg
BC73DBFF-BFD7-4A56-ACF1-A2CEFF750108.jpeg
22984183-A596-478A-B695-0430AEABE229.jpeg
7BC6AC5C-B472-428B-B93C-968109E36DDD.jpeg
3C6BF624-C1F1-4CEE-BC99-3A9078884792.jpeg
8039A362-FF5C-46C6-8095-5D94EC764645.jpeg
9275C752-6649-4137-B10D-C8D11D1C738D.jpeg
A2533D0C-FD1A-4D58-BDCC-32C2F94814D2.jpeg

I’m going to be honest, Yellowstone is just “meh.” That park is just too big unless you’re camping in it. But, we did get an amazing view of the Tetons this evening and they got snow today.
I would agree. Having lived near the Sierras and access to places like Yosemite, and having traveled through Colorado many times, Yellowstone is a solid "meh". I think it gets high ratings for its diversity of wildlife, and geothermal features, but the scenery isn't much to write home about as far as I'm concerned. The Tetons have far more impressive scenery.

I would agree. Having lived near the Sierras and access to places like Yosemite, and having traveled through Colorado many times, Yellowstone is a solid "meh". I think it gets high ratings for its diversity of wildlife, and geothermal features, but the scenery isn't much to write home about as far as I'm concerned. The Tetons have far more impressive scenery.

It probably has some awesome hiking, but it takes 2.5 hours to drive to each hike. :homer:

The view in the north, most likely from Mammoth Hot Springs over to Hayden Valley are impressive in my opinion. Just vast spans of earth.

Well, it’s raining pretty good, so I’m dragging my feet today. Going to be a slow last day here.

As a kid my parents drove EVREYWHERE in an astro van for our summer vacation. We did a western type tour twice like you have been doing and I still have memories of those trips. So super cool you are doing this with the family! I attribute those trips to me not even considering driving somewhere as a road trip until you hit the 12hr of driving mark LOL!!

So we learned a valuable lesson today, and it almost cost us everything.

I am no longer playing in mountain passes after heavy rains. We went up Porcupine Creek trail. The fact there was a warning that they close it in the winter should have been our first warning. Going up was rough. The mud just took the 4Runner wherever it wanted.

Coming down…

Oh man, one spot where I rode the rut up, it decided to kick my rear end out towards the mountain edge! :eek: There was nothing I could do. But you know in those situations when your mind goes hyper-active and you take in everything? At that exact moment I noticed we had a few inches of leeway and there were white marks in the grass. I’m assuming from the truck tire tracks we followed up, every single full size did the same thing there.

All I know is that it was WAY too close for my comfort zone.

I fawkin hate mud.

On the way down we stopped a 3/4 ton Chevy from going up. He took a look at our 4Runner and immediately turned around. :laughing:

Anyway we did Little Greys River, part of Porcupine Creek, and then we finished the day on Deadman’s Creek where we had dinner.

No pic or video of us sitting sideways on a narrow pass, but got a video to show the crap we were dealing with. I need mud tires…
877873BA-EEBB-4FCA-BE82-416CB00DAB80.jpeg
72E7BB00-7717-4852-A9DA-3B823B345243.jpeg
F36E23FD-A3F2-4C3C-BE32-F9D073314713.jpeg
DD89736D-F1FA-406D-8F48-BC118219E1C7.jpeg
F5DC9498-E055-47EA-BD7D-57142230FD70.jpeg

F42100FD-A49B-4F7A-9ED5-7ACBB2718A5A.jpeg
8689E82B-52DD-4656-8A24-B025E21258BC.jpeg
5B0B40CB-A662-4440-B0A6-B30B20F5C8F9.jpeg

Well, last day in Wyoming. Leaving for Nebraska as soon as the wife wakes up.

That mess up on the mountain yesterday plagued my thoughts last night trying to sleep. Always know the risk, but man it’s scary when it happens.

Anyways, this trip was great. I’d like to stay another week, but I’m pretty sure the snow is coming. When we leave this morning it’ll be 40…and then 88 in Nebraska. :laughing:

Next time out here I’ll be spending more time in the Bridger, Tetons, and south east Idaho.

On to planning Utah next year. Or Montana…haven’t decided.

Well, last day in Wyoming. Leaving for Nebraska as soon as the wife wakes up.

That mess up on the mountain yesterday plagued my thoughts last night trying to sleep. Always know the risk, but man it’s scary when it happens.

Anyways, this trip was great. I’d like to stay another week, but I’m pretty sure the snow is coming. When we leave this morning it’ll be 40…and then 88 in Nebraska. :laughing:

Next time out here I’ll be spending more time in the Bridger, Tetons, and south east Idaho.

On to planning Utah next year. Or Montana…haven’t decided.
It always sucks for me when I leave the mountains and it's nice and cool, then when I stop for gas a few hours later it's hot outside. It surprises me every time.

I've got the GF talked into a Utah trip next fall, so my vote is to start planning for Utah:flipoff2:

It always sucks for me when I leave the mountains and it's nice and cool, then when I stop for gas a few hours later it's hot outside. It surprises me every time.

I've got the GF talked into a Utah trip next fall, so my vote is to start planning for Utah:flipoff2:

I don’t know man. I’m sitting here at a restaurant in Nebraska and I’m mentally just done.

4 years in a row going out west. I’m about to tell the wife we move or fuck driving out there anymore.

I don’t know man. I’m sitting here at a restaurant in Nebraska and I’m mentally just done.

4 years in a row going out west. I’m about to tell the wife we move or fuck driving out there anymore.

I can't imagine making that trip in that short of an amount of time. I'd want at least 3 weeks to go that far and even then, I'd have to really think about it.

You almost need to find a place out here to stash the 4runner, then just fly over in a half day and run around from there. :laughing:

I can't imagine making that trip in that short of an amount of time. I'd want at least 3 weeks to go that far and even then, I'd have to really think about it.

You almost need to find a place out here to stash the 4runner, then just fly over in a half day and run around from there. :laughing:

That would be ideal. But like after this trip I need to make sure everything in the suspension is tight. :laughing: That would suck to fly in and spend a day or three wrenching on it.

I think we need to do two whole weeks for these trips. 10 hour days driving isn’t terrible, but we spent 6 days on the road and 5 days in Wyoming. :homer:

On the list for this next year is to find an FJ Cruiser transfer case for this. Also need to see if I can slightly re-gear 4 low on those.

Add air lockers.

Redesign some stuff in the back, and figure out some sort of canopy set up.

I don't blame you. I don't think I could do to many 30 hour drive, week camping, 30 hour drive trips.
On the list for this next year is to find an FJ Cruiser transfer case for this. Also need to see if I can slightly re-gear 4 low on those.

Add air lockers.

If the actuator motor ever goes out in my Tacoma I'm doing the FJ tcase swap. Multiple times I've had it not want to go into or come out of 4 low. I didn't know anyone made lower gear sets for the FJ case.

I'm cheap and also don't want a bunch of stuff mounted to the outside of my truck all the time, so a Walmart 10x10 ez-up works for me. However I could see one of those being hard to pack in a 4runner.

Only option I'm aware of is a full atlas swap, or a doubler. Both which seem pretty overkill for this type of rig. I noticed a decent difference in 4low going from 4.30s to 5.29s. Which is roughly the same percentage wise as you going to 4.88s. But like we've talked about, you spend so much time on the highway, that would probably be too low.

Do you really think you need lockers for this stuff? They typically make sliding sideways worse.

Only option I'm aware of is a full atlas swap, or a doubler. Both which seem pretty overkill for this type of rig. I noticed a decent difference in 4low going from 4.30s to 5.29s. Which is roughly the same percentage wise as you going to 4.88s. But like we've talked about, you spend so much time on the highway, that would probably be too low.

Do you really think you need lockers for this stuff? They typically make sliding sideways worse.

They do make sliding sideways worse, but they also help when a tire or two are in the air. They also greatly help in mud…

Plus, thinking about Moab, open diffs would suck.

Atlas or a doubler is definitely overkill. I didn’t know if they sold a gear reduction kit for the t-case like the Zuks. I’m really new to Toyotas, so still learning.

I know on flat as a level Nebraska, I was set at 80mph and my RPM was around 2,220. I can’t go much lower and maintain 80mph with decent fuel mileage.

They do make sliding sideways worse, but they also help when a tire or two are in the air. They also greatly help in mud…

Plus, thinking about Moab, open diffs would suck.

Yes, and if youre going up or down a hill, power to all 4 may help you maintain control.

Atlas or a doubler is definitely overkill. I didn’t know if they sold a gear reduction kit for the t-case like the Zuks. I’m really new to Toyotas, so still learning.
Not since the gear drive tcase stopped in 1995. I'd think for what you're doing and you having a much lower 1st than my 3rs gen, you'd be totally fine. Not to be a dick, but are you new to wheelin an auto? If so, it can be a bit of a learning curve. 2 foot driving is the only way to go.

I know on flat as a level Nebraska, I was set at 80mph and my RPM was around 2,220. I can’t go much lower and maintain 80mph with decent fuel mileage.

Yes, and if youre going up or down a hill, power to all 4 may help you maintain control.

Not since the gear drive tcase stopped in 1995. I'd think for what you're doing and you having a much lower 1st than my 3rs gen, you'd be totally fine. Not to be a dick, but are you new to wheelin an auto? If so, it can be a bit of a learning curve. 2 foot driving is the only way to go.

Not really new to it, but I’ve been clutch off roading a lot more.

I don’t have a lot of complaints about my 4 low speed. I either keep the shifter in 1 or 2. 3 when it’s easier stuff but I need the slower decent control.

Add air lockers.

I've thought the same thing for my runner exploring wheeler. A doubler would be nice to have the options for 4low, while maintaining good highway speeds, but is the juice worth the squeeze? Even doing it on the cheap is probably money and time spent better elsewhere.

I really can't see how you would need lower gearing in such a mild rig. Especially with the lower 1st gear in the 5 speed auto vs my 3.4/4 speed.

I've ran 33-35s for years on my 96 for years and always thought it was fine for anything I'm willing to take it. My wife has even wheeled it a fair amount.

Maybe just more practice with the 2 foot method? I always have some brake pressure when crawling. For climbing over stuff I'll give it steady throttle, then modulate the brake for the speed I want. Occasionally more throttle may be needed, but I still keep some brake pressure to avoid shooting over the rock or whatever once the tire climbs up.

I really can't see how you would need lower gearing in such a mild rig. Especially with the lower 1st gear in the 5 speed auto vs my 3.4/4 speed.

I've ran 33-35s for years on my 96 for years and always thought it was fine for anything I'm willing to take it. My wife has even wheeled it a fair amount.

Maybe just more practice with the 2 foot method? I always have some brake pressure when crawling. For climbing over stuff I'll give it steady throttle, then modulate the brake for the speed I want. Occasionally more throttle may be needed, but I still keep some brake pressure to avoid shooting over the rock or whatever once the tire climbs up.
I know for me I need to play with that more. Wheeled a manual for a while, built an auto rig and took it out once then sold it (2 seater, met my wife who has 2 kids and wasn't going to rebuild it all) then dabbled in street trucks for a while. I go back and forth, but will probably never put a doubler in unless get a different rig and this goes more crawler.

I put a doubler in my Tacoma when it was IFS on 33s with only a rear locker and it was the best dollar to performance mod I ever did. I'm including my SAS and 37s in that.

I put a doubler in my Tacoma when it was IFS on 33s with only a rear locker and it was the best dollar to performance mod I ever did. I'm including my SAS and 37s in that.

You're manual correct?

Also, I'm betting you were wheelin it much harder than the op and myself are these 4runners :laughing:

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get lower Tcase gearing with these VF cases. NWF came out with the EcoCrawler reduction box that uses toyota planetaries and can adapt to either Toyota or domestic rear cases. Pretty trick setup with how stout the VF case has turned out to be even as a rear doubled case :smokin: though you're 50% $$$$ wise to an atlas by the the time you get the Eco box and a donor case:stirthepot:

I'll 3rd/4th the same notion as others regarding need... Lower gears is always better but with your auto and general overlandy stuff it shouldn't be needed with the cost/additional parts to worry about. I've also had reduction boxes run warm on long highway runs for some reason. Big tranny cooler and let it do its thing.

I run a 6MT FJ Cruiser that is built for similar use on 33s but has been getting used for stuff way harder than it should and the gearing is an issue there without the auto to slip. When I'm running overlandy trails its perfect... when trying to follow buggies in offroad parks I wish for more gearing but the solution there is to be less dumb and just take my dual cased crawler instead :dustin:

4.56's and lockers might be a good compromise, you'll lose some MPG at 80 but should carry the weight and be a little more comfortable on the trails.

BUT before any of that, the single best part(s) for running rough trails on this 120 series chassis drum roll... skid plates, big ol' steel ones. I would put those above any gearing talk for back country usefulness. I made fun of them for years but after having them I realized how wrong I was, they keep all the gears and fluids where they should be and with a full smooth belly you can penguin slide over most things without worry. Edit* maybe tied with rear locker for usefulness... your results may vary, no warranty on info expressed or implied :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I don't blame you. I don't think I could do to many 30 hour drive, week camping, 30 hour drive trips.

If the actuator motor ever goes out in my Tacoma I'm doing the FJ tcase swap. Multiple times I've had it not want to go into or come out of 4 low. I didn't know anyone made lower gear sets for the FJ case.

I'm cheap and also don't want a bunch of stuff mounted to the outside of my truck all the time, so a Walmart 10x10 ez-up works for me. However I could see one of those being hard to pack in a 4runner.

So, due to astronomical inflation and some other things, we’re taking a year off.

I hunted down an FJ case to swap into this 4Runner. Going to use a twin stick for 2lo over easy stuff, and delete the ADD off the front diff.

Some of the stuff I’ve found for this is on Toyota-4Runner.org and the site is plagued with ads and just sucks overall. So, going to have to dig more to see how to wire up the 4lo light and stuff again.

So, due to astronomical inflation and some other things, we’re taking a year off.

I hunted down an FJ case to swap into this 4Runner. Going to use a twin stick for 2lo over easy stuff, and delete the ADD off the front diff.

Some of the stuff I’ve found for this is on Toyota-4Runner.org and the site is plagued with ads and just sucks overall. So, going to have to dig more to see how to wire up the 4lo light and stuff again.

Deleting add will hurt mpg's. Unless there is a manual hub conversion I'm not aware of?

I’ve had some other things come up as well. I’ve found myself in the early stages of planning a wedding. Putting off a big trip won’t be a bad thing. Lol.

I'm not sure, I'd think you could do that.

What are you trying to gain? Just get rid of the electronic shifting tcase?

Yes. There were two times out in Wyoming that I didn’t think it was going to shift out of 4lo.

It also takes forever to shift into 4wd or 4lo when cycling it every month to keep the actuator working. It’s an absolutely stupid transfer case.

Top Back Refresh