What's new

4th Gen 4Runner: Cross Country Runner

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Member Number
Loc
Pennsylvania
It’s been an evolution of trial and error to end up at this point.

2019 We made our first trip out west. Neither the wife nor I had been west of Missouri so we didn’t really know what to expect. We had purchased a Yamaha Wolverine for local running, since full size vehicles have gone to the way side locally, and I knew about the Black Hills, so we towed it out.

Towing that far, with that machine…sucked. We didn’t do anything a mildly built vehicle couldn’t do. Spent a ton on gas, and tons of stops to fill up. Trip was great, but out and back was no fun.

32269F76-9359-4C0E-BEF8-B2A213E4967D.jpeg

2020 rolls around and I do a ton of trips to WV with the SXS. Then we drive out to Colorado in the Tahoe to see the wife’s sister. I hated eastern Colorado, and the wife hated hiking at 10,000’. :lmao: So back to the off roading idea out west…

35C8D9CE-C432-4AC8-8AFD-33FF5B9601CF.jpeg

This was about the time gas prices started creeping up, Trump was getting shit all over, and I had an inkling that towing out west in the future might be a bad idea. So I came to this group of assholes and asked for suggestions on a ride that could do what I want. About 20 replies said 4Runner.

So we hunted down a rust free 4Runner in 21’. Then we booked a trip to the San Juans. :smokin:

From all this traveling I’ve learned a lot about packing, accessing stuff you need frequently, and comfort. The 4Runner is awful without Seat Jackers. They definitely helped.

Anyways, with a few months to get ready for Colorado again, and parts back ordered everywhere, I decided on an Icon set up with Camburg upper arms. I think I ended up slapping 31” ish tires on it, and running it. It did great out there. This is where we discovered the 4Runner is SMALL, uncomfortable, but nimble as hell off road. I also discovered that Icon’s springs in the rear suck dick when hauling! This set up was great for what we did. However, I wore almost a 1/4” of tread off the Toyo tires on one trip (4,250 miles that week). So, I considered my options…

32C10072-664B-47F9-BAF8-8208CA3ADB77.jpeg
7A8BF3C5-147B-4733-BA02-6F6B3B3C870B.jpeg
2A557FE0-7FF1-4565-B56F-42162113B9CC.jpeg
41FBB8B8-ADBC-455A-83DB-9FA9BC452DDC.jpeg
A91F6845-A066-4070-9384-3AC91D3D5775.jpeg
36442D80-02A7-4BB4-8364-66F8EE923EA3.jpeg
AF680A17-E749-4C0D-909D-822A0EADC53C.jpeg

0A3B338C-48D3-4F75-82AD-B08AFD145B9F.jpeg

So, fast forward to 22’ and we are debating where to go next. We settled on Wyoming.

West Wyoming…this is when I started thinking about being alone with no help, in grizzly country. Yeah, for those of you out there, used to that it’s whatever. To me? I’m thinking of all the ways I can put the wife and kids in a bad situation with no help.

I had to consider recovery, since I have no lockers. Then I consider flats, gas shortage if we get lost, just any amount of scenario. Wheeling alone is a bad idea. But it’s our only option. We’ll prepare and risk it rather than not go at all.

Plans became 33’s (the Toyos were needed on the Tahoe anyways), winch and bumper, on board air (for future air lockers), and better lights. I also tried air bags, but they had to be almost full with those Icon springs. So I ditched those and got Icon‘s progressive rates, and re-installed the bags, because why not?

I went with Lil B’s bumper after seeing it on Fred and Dave’s 4Runner. Got a hook up from a forum member here for a spare tire carrier, and grabbed some Rigid lights off Austin.

7AD04C7A-CB85-44BB-8E3D-74057118E591.jpeg
297773EF-F8D1-4E62-AF26-0F94FD71566D.jpeg
71949399-8411-4B5D-932B-ED7443C20672.jpeg
8391F6D1-FC21-4FA4-A7F7-3BFBDF42F6D8.jpeg
50D4F216-973A-4FB2-AF7B-49D4FBB5DCF0.jpeg
CF5BD551-372A-452D-B800-5C33F03CCFD2.jpeg
5DFF71AE-EC93-4523-8C4B-D77399443C30.jpeg

And then Austin raffled off the ARB fridge. :flipoff2:

This was a different direction. Once I told the wife about fridges, she basically said we’re getting one no matter what. Luckily Austin let me switch fridges and I got everything ordered up. I was going to go the whole dual battery set up, but said screw it. A buddy hooked me up with a free Intimidator AGM battery and I tested it. 7 days running the fridge and it still held 12 volts. :smokin:

CAD73D05-6205-4DB6-AC6E-250F87D30D75.jpeg

The wife and I did a shake down run on everything after that to Elk County, Pennsylvania. Fridge was awesome. The lack of organization sucked balls. I built to what I need for storage to cook out of the back 3 meals a day on trails, carry our junk 1,700 miles across the US, and to not take up ALL of the rear for potential daily use (this is a garage queen).

This brings me up to date. I ended up wiring an outlet for the fridge to my main battery while driving. I’ll swap it over for hotel lay overs just in case. That way we can keep everything cold all night, the switch it over when we hit the road in the AM.

Note: I tapped eye bolts everywhere and use a cargo net to secure everything in the shelving unit.

E423C325-A5E7-4C8B-82AE-1F752EA99407.jpeg
09BCE46E-57E6-4CAA-904C-4F78A63C77FD.jpeg
27CBF5E7-1509-4350-8BCD-1D09D4958485.jpeg
C497FDF6-C674-42A1-8920-D9BFFC974B52.jpeg
FA322531-AC78-46A9-BF12-190C0DACF00B.jpeg
10CE4C37-0739-42ED-B87C-43123E06AE4D.jpeg
E9B31D87-21FD-4875-9B39-BD715CD63B1F.jpeg

So nothing interesting, but Wyoming is coming up in a month and I’m sure I’ll have a new direction after that…definitely lockers. Moab next year. :beer:

Once you slap.some.sliders on that thing we should hit up Potts mtn in VA. That rig would be fun on there!! Same with Kairos in WV!

Once you slap.some.sliders on that thing we should hit up Potts mtn in VA. That rig would be fun on there!! Same with Kairos in WV!

That’s on the list.

Also looking for an FJ Cruiser transfer case to swap in.

Lockers needed for those trails?

You know I have a Geo to beat down through the woods, right? I can always tow that down.

Last edited:
You don't need a locker for either one, they just would be less annoying.

Didn't know about the Geo!

Neat! I feel your pain on packing the family in a 4runner. Also feel your pain on going out with no other vehicles. It seems that is about the only way I can get my family out. Headed into the mountains this weekend for some crawling with the family alone. Luckily we've been there a bunch of times so it shouldn't be a big deal, but ya never know and its always on my mind when we're out. Spend a lot of time route planning and going over where the local resources are so you know just in case.

Neat! I feel your pain on packing the family in a 4runner. Also feel your pain on going out with no other vehicles. It seems that is about the only way I can get my family out. Headed into the mountains this weekend for some crawling with the family alone. Luckily we've been there a bunch of times so it shouldn't be a big deal, but ya never know and its always on my mind when we're out. Spend a lot of time route planning and going over where the local resources are so you know just in case.

So I ended up investing in a Garmin GPS 66i with InReach capability. It adds a ton of peace of mind to this upcoming trip.

Also going to carry a GMRS and HAM radio along. There seems to be almost nothing in western Wyoming once you leave Alpine or Jackson areas and head east into the Bridger area.

Guaranteed communication is what I’m banking on.

3BF9D69C-309F-4D98-AE45-6B06B4B0EDD8.jpeg

Good move! After being on the dusy during the creek fire my wife bought me/us a zoleo for communication. It functions similar to the inreach, it just doesn't have the map functions. We take it whenever we're venturing out on our own.

Good move! After being on the dusy during the creek fire my wife bought me/us a zoleo for communication. It functions similar to the inreach, it just doesn't have the map functions. We take it whenever we're venturing out on our own.
X2 on the Zoleo, great little device.

So, tonight I packed up the 4Runner for Wyoming. In my mind, this seems awesome. I’m an over-preparer. Always have been, it’s just how I go. But the wife thinks we won’t have enough room…

Got two whole 1/4 and 3/8 metric socket sets that pack nicely in their Tekton cases. Fluids, tire repair kit, air hose, tree/rock strap, jack kit, an inverter (no idea why, but it was free and can hook to the fridge battery), first aid kit, hammer and pry bar, spare parts (belts, hose clamps, fuses, etc., Coleman stove, pots/pans with utensils, table, camp chairs, and a couple other things in the back.

I tucked away my impacts under the seats, because why not? :flipoff2:

When you start utilizing every nook and cranny these can hold a lot.

D0C7BE62-5DF3-4D65-9441-326DFB2C1254.jpeg

5CB070A3-64D2-4A53-9316-5471BE086ABE.jpeg
78FE95CB-9830-44FF-B2F0-8B77A362785A.jpeg
A9D33E4B-2BE0-42FE-BB8B-5F53286A1CBE.jpeg
DF7923A5-37FF-49B9-9335-F505230B1D55.jpeg

There is enough room against the door for 3 duffel bags. Room on the right side of the fridge. More room on top for soft stuff like pillows and sleeping bags.

When we are out exploring I set everything up for quick and easy access to food/cooking supplies. The tools and recovery are less quickly accessed. The trip to our home base is when the 4Runner looks like a homeless person is living in it. How it looks now is how it will be each day roaming the mountains.

YotaAtieToo gave me all the ideas for sneaking stuff away in tight, unthought of places.

The wife keeps insisting on a roof rack, but man it kills mileage. This only gets 17mpg on the hwy now. :laughing:

Most likely 80% of this stuff will never get used. But I always feel like that’s because I have it. The minute I don’t is when I’ll need it.

ALL the ideas? :flipoff2:

Add a couple Colby valves to you plug kit. I've have a valve stem be a huge pain in the ass one time, and never will again. Those Colby valves I tall from the outside in like 1 min. I also carry a few extra regular valve stems just in case too.

I think I told you, but I try to think about what you need to get out. Fuel tank and fuel line repair would be a good one also.

ALL the ideas? :flipoff2:

Add a couple Colby valves to you plug kit. I've have a valve stem be a huge pain in the ass one time, and never will again. Those Colby valves I tall from the outside in like 1 min. I also carry a few extra regular valve stems just in case too.

I think I told you, but I try to think about what you need to get out. Fuel tank and fuel line repair would be a good one also.

I got 4 Colby valves…totally forgot to throw the standard size wrenches in for them though. :eek:

That’s a good idea…didn’t think about fuel line stuff or the tank. I got spare rubber fuel line laying around. Not sure what to patch a plastic tank with.

I got 4 Colby valves…totally forgot to throw the standard size wrenches in for them though. :eek:

That’s a good idea…didn’t think about fuel line stuff or the tank. I got spare rubber fuel line laying around. Not sure what to patch a plastic tank with.

Any trail bag should have at least one crescent wrench and 1 pair of vice grips. :flipoff2:

Plastic tank? Tire plug? :laughing:

I'd probably drive a screw into a pin hole if I had to. I don't think jb weld would stick if gas was seeping out.

Any trail bag should have at least one crescent wrench and 1 pair of vice grips. :flipoff2:

Plastic tank? Tire plug? :laughing:

I'd probably drive a screw into a pin hole if I had to. I don't think jb weld would stick if gas was seeping out.

Don’t forget RTV. :flipoff2: :laughing:

The liklihood of a tank issue will be slim to none, but that should be fine to get back to civilization.

Local wheeling is so much easier. Crescent wrenches, 10, 12, 14, mm wrenches, and that’s it. :laughing: Anything else you just limp it home or back to a trailer.

Wheeling alone, this far from home, is always nerve wracking.

Don’t forget RTV. :flipoff2: :laughing:

The liklihood of a tank issue will be slim to none, but that should be fine to get back to civilization.

Local wheeling is so much easier. Crescent wrenches, 10, 12, 14, mm wrenches, and that’s it. :laughing: Anything else you just limp it home or back to a trailer.

Wheeling alone, this far from home, is always nerve wracking.

Have you looked into those GPS beacon deals that you can call from? A friend of mine has one and he says it's a nice piece of mind.

Have you looked into those GPS beacon deals that you can call from? A friend of mine has one and he says it's a nice piece of mind.

I did. Post #9.

That Garmin actually shows a lot of trails. In the San Juans it even labels them as Imogene, Engineer, Ophir, etc.

I basically wheel solo (drive to and from the trails and wheel with trailered jeeps) so I carry a ton of shit as well. Too late now but look into buying some broken CVs or cheap used CVs to make a 2wd conversion kit. Basically the outer stubs of the CV to hold the wheel bearing together. Real usefull if you grenade the front diff or something you will be able to slap those in and drive it home. Also remember that east of the Mississippi parts stores still seem to think Toyota trucks are a niche foreign vehicle and they barely carry parts for them. So stock some common stuff like brake line fittings, misc nuts and bolts and a fuel pump etc.... Tool wise pick up a cheap pitman arm puller if you haven't already, I have used that for all kinds of stuff on the trail not related to pitman arms, real usefull tool to have with you.

I basically wheel solo (drive to and from the trails and wheel with trailered jeeps) so I carry a ton of shit as well. Too late now but look into buying some broken CVs or cheap used CVs to make a 2wd conversion kit. Basically the outer stubs of the CV to hold the wheel bearing together. Real usefull if you grenade the front diff or something you will be able to slap those in and drive it home. Also remember that east of the Mississippi parts stores still seem to think Toyota trucks are a niche foreign vehicle and they barely carry parts for them. So stock some common stuff like brake line fittings, misc nuts and bolts and a fuel pump etc.... Tool wise pick up a cheap pitman arm puller if you haven't already, I have used that for all kinds of stuff on the trail not related to pitman arms, real usefull tool to have with you.

I have a few different pullers.

We don’t wheel too hard out west. I try to avoid doing anything to extreme, knowing I have to drive 30 hours home. So I’m always more worried about general wear items failing like water pump, fuel pump, steering stuff, etc.

Worst case scenario I reach out to members here for help. Just don’r like putting people out.

I have a few different pullers.

We don’t wheel too hard out west. I try to avoid doing anything to extreme, knowing I have to drive 30 hours home. So I’m always more worried about general wear items failing like water pump, fuel pump, steering stuff, etc.

Worst case scenario I reach out to members here for help. Just don’r like putting people out.
Yea same here, I maintain my truck pretty well for the same reason. I will say I have broken more shit on "easy" runs than hard ones. It's always the stupid shit to. The way I look at my tools and spare parts is what will realistically fail and disable this truck either on or offroad and work back from there and what do I need to limp it back home, example being a way to convert it to 2wd in the event something fucks up in the front diff.

You don't have a crawler, but I have an ammo can with a spare 23spline input, various bearings and shit like that because I know no shop will have them, and it's even more unlikely marlin will actually have the shit in stock to even ship me:lmao:. So I could at least get the crawl box into some sort of functional state, even if I had to tow it to a shop or a members house. I love and hate Toyotas simultaneously, mainly hate because it's hard to find parts on the fly for them as opposed to domestic truck stuff.

Yea same here, I maintain my truck pretty well for the same reason. I will say I have broken more shit on "easy" runs than hard ones. It's always the stupid shit to. The way I look at my tools and spare parts is what will realistically fail and disable this truck either on or offroad and work back from there and what do I need to limp it back home, example being a way to convert it to 2wd in the event something fucks up in the front diff.

You don't have a crawler, but I have an ammo can with a spare 23spline input, various bearings and shit like that because I know no shop will have them, and it's even more unlikely marlin will actually have the shit in stock to even ship me:lmao:. So I could at least get the crawl box into some sort of functional state, even if I had to tow it to a shop or a members house. I love and hate Toyotas simultaneously, mainly hate because it's hard to find parts on the fly for them as opposed to domestic truck stuff.

It’s frustrating because it’s like when are you replacing good items “just in case” prematurely and losing money.

This has 120,000 miles on it and I have no idea what’s been replace or hasn’t. Your idea on the 2WD conversion is why I wished they made lock-in lock-out hubs for the IFS on these.

At least your crawl box is easy to deal with. These 2008’s have electric stuff in the t-case and front axle that are not as easy to fix or rebuild. Hence why I want an FJ t-case for the manual shift.

Your truck sees 10 times the abuse my 4Runner does. So I’m hoping I’ll be fine for awhile. :laughing:

You'll be fine. Just use common sense when your out. Realistically bad shit can happen at any time, anywhere. Go prepared, use common sense, and just have a good time. Its an adventure for a reason.

It’s frustrating because it’s like when are you replacing good items “just in case” prematurely and losing money.

Your truck sees 10 times the abuse my 4Runner does. So I’m hoping I’ll be fine for awhile. :laughing:
Definitely don't replace stuff that doesn't need it!
You'll be fine. Just use common sense when your out. Realistically bad shit can happen at any time, anywhere. Go prepared, use common sense, and just have a good time. Its an adventure for a reason.
And this!!

Obviously take an assload of pics and post them up here!!

That's just everyday life out west. The east must really suck if that impresses you :flipoff2:

Seriously though, nice pics. I need to expand my explorations.

The east has awesome views. The amount of trees we have just takes away the vastness. There’s so much sky out west such far spans you can see it’s unreal.

Here in the east if you can see 5 niles that’s impressive. :laughing:

Here’s a spot we had in WV called The View. Just tree tops in Kentucky.

F7127863-2FA1-4958-A905-4EA7C9C9DF76.jpeg

The east has awesome views. The amount of trees we have just takes away the vastness. There’s so much sky out west such far spans you can see it’s unreal.

Here in the east if you can see 5 niles that’s impressive. :laughing:

Here’s a spot we had in WV called The View. Just tree tops in Kentucky.

Easy, Cut all the trees down:flipoff2:

Maybe…pics out west just never do it justice. I usually don’t take many pics. The wife does.

These were from California Gulch and Red Mountain Pass. Just don’t capture the awesomeness.

Do you think you will do another trip to Colorado?

Top Back Refresh