What's new

2021 Firewood thread

Got a decent load today, wish I could load like this all the time.
20210930_180645.jpg
20210930_173530.jpg

Well since this is back up, in case anyone here hasn’t been following my Maine thread, I’ve been plugging away as well. Almost have my inside storage near the wood boiler room filled out floor to ceiling. Currently at 3 full rows deep. This space should hold 5 rows deep. I’ve also got a stall in the pole barn about half full of newer wood.
AB9216A9-6641-4C4D-ACFC-C932AC4EC86A.jpeg
0C106463-7EA2-43E8-B095-7F8F7FD0F7CC.jpeg
7E6050F1-9AB4-468D-82F1-561CBBFC4450.jpeg

I've got one more shed to fill. Since propane has doubled, looks like it'll be all wood this year.

3/16”?

That’s really not a horrible idea. A lot of positives to that, and the only real negative I see is the tire coming apart knocking the strap off.
Closer to 8th, Leftover channel from when a grocery store was built. I didn't crank those straps down that tight, and I've never had a Mobile home tire delam. Knock on wood. I run them down to Kojak specials.

found lots of wood to cut...
its just going to be a mess to work with for several years 🙁

MET at Silverfork.jpg
:\
on the bright side it standing dead for a few years all the delimbing will be done when it falls over

I spent some quality time with the Kubota this afternoon. Moved this years firewood over near the stove. I've got some more to split pretty soon. Never enough time.
ETA: I thought I posted pics....
l1vkzwWl.jpg

rcsXs4El.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll be getting to work again tomorrow. My Husquarvana Chain saw chaps came in today. I want to finish bucking the pile I’ve got down to so,utter size and hopefully get the whole current pile split and processed before I go into the woods and start dragging more windfall out. Figure I’ll put my city slicker brother in law to work on the splitter for some shots n grins.

Got it cut and off the trailer, Thank you Tractor Supply for clearancing bars and chains, got a new 18 inch set for the 455 Rancher and a new 24 inch set for the 390 which made the 24 to 26 inch cuts much easier. Slated to get another load tomorrow.
20211003_165550.jpg

man I like your trailer
I assume the dimple died steel for the ramps is a commercial product?
better pic of crossmember setup?

I spent some quality time with the Kubota this afternoon. Moved this years firewood over near the stove. I've got some more to split pretty soon. Never enough time.
ETA: I thought I posted pics....
l1vkzwWl.jpg

rcsXs4El.jpg

What kind of goofy setup do you whavee where the stove is 20 yards from the house?

What kind of goofy setup do you whavee where the stove is 20 yards from the house?
OWB, it's an outside wood boiler although in theory it doesn't boil. The water goes underground in insulated pipes to the house and back. I get my domestic hot water from a 10 plate heat exchanger and I have a heat exchanger in the plenum of my hot air furnace. I tend it twice a day, 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Love it! No mess in the house and less handling.

Lol mine is well over 200 feet away from my house. A good 120 feet of it is in my heated shop so any losses are acceptable.

Seconded, I like not having the mess and smoke anywhere near the house. I also went ultra lazy and put my stove in a concrete bunker. I stack the wood with a 55,000# loader :smokin:.

man I like your trailer
I assume the dimple died steel for the ramps is a commercial product?
better pic of crossmember setup?
Marston Mats ?
It's made from a section of a Carhauler semitrailer, has 6 chain tie down points for vehicles which makes them pretty secure. This is the first time I've used it for firewood, but with the mini ex to load it I improvised some little stake pockets for pipe and it's ready for longer logs.

It's made from a section of a Carhauler semitrailer, has 6 chain tie down points for vehicles which makes them pretty secure. This is the first time I've used it for firewood, but with the mini ex to load it I improvised some little stake pockets for pipe and it's ready for longer logs.
ahhh
saw the tie down winches at the bottom of the ramps, shoulda connected the dots

I’ve cut very little firewood this season, only what was in my way. I’ve been working on the loader, that could reverse once the loader is running.

found lots of wood to cut...
its just going to be a mess to work with for several years 🙁

MET at Silverfork.jpg
when I bought my place in Colorado it had burned two years earlier, I was hoping to build the cabin out of all the standing dead trees. well 8 years or so later I finally got to the top and it was all junk. I just pushed them all up into a pile. I run the excavator up and over it the past few years.

Wednesday was the first time I’ve seen non burned trees on logging trucks heading down the hill since the Creek Fire started in early September last year, the loggers cut a lot of them.

Gone as in sold or moved and stacked?

Is that a pitchfork or a giant fish spear?

Top Back Refresh