What's new

2021 Firewood thread

How much do you think that load of wood weighs? Honest question as I have a 16’ flatbed but dont want to overload it.
Not sure which pic of his you quoted....But when I was hauling fresh cut green Doug fir and Ponderosa in that same truck I pictured. A full load of 10' logs stacked maybe 1' over the bed rails would set it on the bump stops, not the overloads, but passed them and on the bumps.

WLDWUN curious.... How far they trucking the wood in from? Cutting/splitting on-site?

WLDWUN curious.... How far they trucking the wood in from? Cutting/splitting on-site?

don't know for sure, I just happened to be in So Cal yesterday for a meeting and this place was down the road from the hotel.
I didnt see any full logs on site, so I bet it comes in split.
most of it comes from the valley in old orchards that are removed I am sure

edit
looks like the wood processor is in the lot next to them

1622055950597.png

Not sure which pic of his you quoted....But when I was hauling fresh cut green Doug fir and Ponderosa in that same truck I pictured. A full load of 10' logs stacked maybe 1' over the bed rails would set it on the bump stops, not the overloads, but passed them and on the bumps.
I tried to quote TreeClimber on his pic of the trailer full.
D7E47FEA-38BB-4F6C-AC23-57710623943A.jpeg
This picture actually

The trees had been cut for less than a week, and were very wet and heavy.
The trailer is 20 foot long.
I have no way to know the weight of the load, but it was far heavier than that trailer is rated for (and it regularly carries 9000 pound loads)

I think the first load (the bigger trees) weighed more than the second load (more trees, but smaller)

We loaded with an excavator, and unloaded with a chainsaw

My BIL and I handled the unloading, and between the two of us, there was NO chance we could lift the individual rounds. Hell, we struggled just to roll them to the woodpile. The load is about 60 percent stacked right now, and we're expecting the total to be between 6 and 6.5 cords.

How much do you think that load of wood weighs? Honest question as I have a 16’ flatbed but dont want to overload it.
I'd guess between 11000 and 12000 pounds. GUESS. And only guessing that because we have split and stacked about half the load, and currently have 3.25 cord tightly stacked. And according to this site What Does A Cord Of Wood Weigh - Dry Firewood And Fresh Cut (Green) Weights - Mullins Farms In Valley Springs we're guessing the weight per cord wet to be about 3600 pounds.

didnt get any wood this week to take home, but did get a call to help with a tree across the forest road.

60in Ponderosa.jpg

took 30 minutes to cut it and an hour to move the pieces out. that piece has 4 cords of wood in it

60in truck.jpg

came in right at 60" diameter at 40 feet from the stump and counted the rings at 383 years old

Last edited:
came in right at 60" diameter

I’ve worked with that size before, each 18” round was a quarter cord. And once I dropped it on the splitter it stayed there until down to quarters. It wouldn’t split all the way across, it would hinge on the other end. Sometimes I could finish it with the maul, sometimes I needed to dig to work the foot of the splitter under it. Heavy stuff.

I’ve worked with that size before, each 18” round was a quarter cord.
yup
this thing is 1000# per foot :eek:

anything over 32" that I take for firewood, I cut to length, then noodle it ( cut down the face like below) and split it into quarters or more to bring home

42" fir from this winter
42 inch fir.jpg

didnt get any wood this week to take home, but did get a call to help with a tree across the forest road.

60in Ponderosa.jpg

took 30 minutes to cut it and an hour to move the pieces out. that piece has 4 cords of wood in it

60in truck.jpg

came in right at 60" diameter at 40 feet from the stump and counted the rings at 383 years old
Awesome! That's a huge tree, we don't get too many like that around here.

I took a trailer load of cedar to friends in the mountains on Monday, six miles from our mountain place. I forgot to get pictures. It was a heavy load. Dead, but still full of water.

So what is the process of cutting that chunk out? Do you make wedge cuts so the piece can fall without pinching the bar?

So what is the process of cutting that chunk out? Do you make wedge cuts so the piece can fall without pinching the bar?
with small trees you don't have to think much about it, cause there is not much weight in them.
this one, the center piece I removed weight about 17K# I would have preferred to take several small pieces out but the tree was off the ground 4 feet in the middle so it wasn't safe to cut there to start. walked the tree for 30 minutes to decide where to cut.

First cut, upper end of the tree because it was close to the ground so the saw wasn't being held up high when finishing the cut, half of the cut is made standing on the tree to start, then finish the downhill side, and finally the uphill side.

60in first cut.jpg

as you mentioned, instead of a straight cut, make an angle cut, both so the piece will drop cleanly without pinching the bar as well as can be moved downhill when both side are done. saw above is an 066 with a 36" bar. ( I had 3 saws and 6 bars with me)

second cut was 17 feet lower on the tree, again I wanted a place I was comfortable when an 8 ton chuck of wood slides down. again, a slight angle the opposite of the last so the piece can be removed when free. worked good this time, as you can see there are small gaps between the piece to be removed and the rest of the tree ( and look, another large one just up the road :laughing:)

60in second cut from below.jpg

this was the worst part, I wanted to pivot the part, and get it to roll to the side. I put a choker around the upper end, a snatch block to a tree to the side and pulled it out. it moved easily, but did not pivot, rolled slowly down the road behind the truck and even pulled the tree out the snatch block was attached to.:laughing: before it stopped.
60in section removed.jpg

then cut that section in two and moved it off the road further. used an 088 with a 42 in bar for that. it is heavy, but much faster and not working about movement when the cut is done

60in pcs.jpg

then just for fun, put a 59" bar on it to clean up the end from one side. even an 088 does not like a bar that big...need to find me an 090:laughing:

60in tree and saw.jpg

Thats, awesome! The way you did it is easier than I was thinking. Clearing that out looks like it would be a lot of fun!! People around here would freak if they came across saws that big. I'm trying to justify to myself that I need to change out my 361 for a 461/462. People think I'm crazy for wanting a saw to big.

not sure I am sure what that is?
I am interested what you got

all I am aware of is cutting a box to jack a back leaning tree

1624599462821.png

It’s a bucking cut, not a felling cut. You cut, leaving a square shape holding wood, then decide how to finish (from the bottom, or from the top). You start by cutting down from the top, then the back (until the saw is vertical). Then pull the bar back, and cut down the front. Then plunge in and down, to do the bottom part of the box (square). Now you can see what the kerf is doing without pinching the bar. Is it closing on the top, or the bottom?

It’s a bucking cut, not a felling cut....

OK, got it

1624641454857.png

both cuts had the compression on top, like on the right diagram
problem with this tree was size.
first cut was cut #2, as I had to do that from on top of the tree, it was not reachable safely from the ground
second cut was cut #1, it had to be done from the back side as you could not reach over the log. it also was half way into the log
third cut was cut #3, but again half way into the log. As I cut, keeping an eye on the kerf from cut #2, as it closes, bore the bar in and out as cutting until the top kerf is fully closed (wedges do not help on this size as the wood just compresses around them) then continue out the bottom until it releases.
#4 above is not an option due to size, cutting upwards with the top of the saw through 4 feet of wood

with small trees you don't have to think much about it, cause there is not much weight in them.
this one, the center piece I removed weight about 17K# I would have preferred to take several small pieces out but the tree was off the ground 4 feet in the middle so it wasn't safe to cut there to start. walked the tree for 30 minutes to decide where to cut.

First cut, upper end of the tree because it was close to the ground so the saw wasn't being held up high when finishing the cut, half of the cut is made standing on the tree to start, then finish the downhill side, and finally the uphill side.

60in first cut.jpg

as you mentioned, instead of a straight cut, make an angle cut, both so the piece will drop cleanly without pinching the bar as well as can be moved downhill when both side are done. saw above is an 066 with a 36" bar. ( I had 3 saws and 6 bars with me)

second cut was 17 feet lower on the tree, again I wanted a place I was comfortable when an 8 ton chuck of wood slides down. again, a slight angle the opposite of the last so the piece can be removed when free. worked good this time, as you can see there are small gaps between the piece to be removed and the rest of the tree ( and look, another large one just up the road :laughing:)

60in second cut from below.jpg

this was the worst part, I wanted to pivot the part, and get it to roll to the side. I put a choker around the upper end, a snatch block to a tree to the side and pulled it out. it moved easily, but did not pivot, rolled slowly down the road behind the truck and even pulled the tree out the snatch block was attached to.:laughing: before it stopped.
60in section removed.jpg

then cut that section in two and moved it off the road further. used an 088 with a 42 in bar for that. it is heavy, but much faster and not working about movement when the cut is done

60in pcs.jpg

then just for fun, put a 59" bar on it to clean up the end from one side. even an 088 does not like a bar that big...need to find me an 090:laughing:

60in tree and saw.jpg
Meanwhile I'm over here pinching a bar on an 18" log. :laughing:

OK, got it

1624641454857.png

both cuts had the compression on top, like on the right diagram
problem with this tree was size.
first cut was cut #2, as I had to do that from on top of the tree, it was not reachable safely from the ground
second cut was cut #1, it had to be done from the back side as you could not reach over the log. it also was half way into the log
third cut was cut #3, but again half way into the log. As I cut, keeping an eye on the kerf from cut #2, as it closes, bore the bar in and out as cutting until the top kerf is fully closed (wedges do not help on this size as the wood just compresses around them) then continue out the bottom until it releases.
#4 above is not an option due to size, cutting upwards with the top of the saw through 4 feet of wood

So you did do the box cut, sort of.

Meanwhile I'm over here pinching a bar on an 18" log. :laughing:
trust me. I do it as well more than I like to admit
I have a picture where I have 2 saws stuck in the same log side by side :lmao:

that is why I also bring extra bars sometimes.
undo the powerhead, and use a different bar to cut the first out.

Finally got out and cut some wood this weekend. No onsite pics as I turned my phone off for two day which was very nice. Camped out two nights. First was beautiful but the fog came in and I got pretty damp. Second night stormed all night, most rain we've had in a while. Got a bit wet sleeping on a cot with only a travel trailer awning over me. Totally worth it to just spend time out in the woods. This is two loads.
PXL_20210823_000003348.jpg

Finally got out and cut some wood this weekend. No onsite pics as I turned my phone off for two day which was very nice. Camped out two nights. First was beautiful but the fog came in and I got pretty damp. Second night stormed all night, most rain we've had in a while. Got a bit wet sleeping on a cot with only a travel trailer awning over me. Totally worth it to just spend time out in the woods. This is two loads.
PXL_20210823_000003348.jpg
That's quite the backdrop to your house. Nice score on the wood too :beer:

Top Back Refresh