What's new

2002 TuRD

Muddy rocks and trees have got to be more forgiving than... Just...Fuckin' rocks...

Right?

I'm actually seriously tempted. Google says 20hr drive... I'll bet I can do it in either 16, or 30 :laughing:

No. Because if you don’t make the obstacle on the first try you just keep sliding into the same thing and it smashes you up.

Also, 20 hours is peanuts. :flipoff2:

Muddy rocks and trees have got to be more forgiving than... Just...Fuckin' rocks...

Right?

I'm actually seriously tempted. Google says 20hr drive... I'll bet I can do it in either 16, or 30 :laughing:
Falls the best time! If your serious, let me know a few weeks ahead of time to round up a posse to wheel with ya:laughing:

The nice part about trees are they keep you from barrel rolling off ledges and peaks.

Last edited:
Falls the best time! If your serious, let me know a few weeks ahead of time to round up a posse to wheel with ya:laughing:

The nice part about trees are they keep you from barrel rolling off ledges and peaks.

Sometimes they make nice pivot points, too. :laughing:

Slander very important question, do you cruise around with the AC on while trail riding here in the humidity-east (I mean southeast)??
Yes and it's awesome! The windows and my glasses fogging up when I get out or roll my windows down gets annoying!!:laughing::flipoff2:

I actually have the smallest 4cyl Tacoma radiator swapped in, and the motor stays cool wheeling all day even with the AC on full blast, and the ps cooler being in front of the condenser.

Yes and it's awesome! The windows and my glasses fogging up when I get out or roll my windows down gets annoying!!:laughing::flipoff2:

I actually have the smallest 4cyl Tacoma radiator swapped in, and the motor stays cool wheeling all day even with the AC on full blast, and the ps cooler being in front of the condenser.
Jealous!

Slander got a few more random questions for you after these trips to Tennessee.

1) What all do you pack with you (spare parts, camping stuff, etc)?

2) Any changes you want to make to the truck to make it more street able for the road trip portion of those trips?

3) Are you going to apply for the Unreal Adventure?

Slander got a few more random questions for you after these trips to Tennessee.

1) What all do you pack with you (spare parts, camping stuff, etc)?

2) Any changes you want to make to the truck to make it more street able for the road trip portion of those trips?

3) Are you going to apply for the Unreal Adventure?
1) spare knuckle, tie rod, driveshafts, main leaf, misc hydro hoses & fittings, spare tire and shit like that. I have a bunn trail welder to round it out. Camping gear I have a gazelle tent, cooler, ez up and an action packer with dry food and misc camp stuff. The picture below is it loaded up and ready to leave on a trip to GER. Most of the trips are within 4hrs of my house, so I'm within the range of my wife running me out parts I forgot, or AAA tow home. When I lived in IL it was 11hrs to Harlan and I carried even less stuff with me tool and parts wise oddly enough.
PXL_20240418_204505665.jpg

2) I have it pretty dialed in street wise. The truck will do 75+, steers with one finger, cruise control works, and it gets like 14mpg on the highway. The pro comp mt2s are great on the highway, and when I don't sling weights off, the tires and beadlocks balance out almost perfectly. Im fairly meticulous with maintenance as well.

3) no. I mean every trip I do now is kind of like that, I don't want my truck plastered in sponsor stickers and I dont have any social media presence outside of here so I wouldn't be selected anyway. We were talking with Chris Durham and one of our guys in the group was asking him about UA and hearing him talk about it, it sounds like it kind of sucks honestly. Plus packing up and driving to a new park everyday would get old. I like wheeling all day, relaxing by a camp fire, and maybe hitting trails again at night if I don't have too much beer in me. I wouldn't be able to deal with wheeling on a schedule like that.

I try to do the hobby as cheap as possible, I had a tow rig and trailer with a jeep in the early 2000s and honestly I wrenched on the trailer and tow rig more than the trail rig lol!! Plus its just added cost that would annoy my very understanding wife, and I would much rather spend that money on my house. I like driving it to and from the trails, it's like how wheeling used to be when I first got into the hobby, and not gonna lie hearing people tell me how crazy, dumb or stupid I am makes me smile inside. Out wheeling trailer queens is also fun. Now my truck is in this weird middle ground where it tackles the easy to moderate trails fairly easy, but it struggles on the real hard stuff, BUT if I got a buggy I would be in death climb territory down here and I have no desire for that, plus I like my AC:laughing:

TLDR:
1) lots of spare parts and tools, ground tent and cooler
2) it's about dialed in where I want it
3) no because I'm not internet famous and wheeling with a sales manager in a JK from warn who has never been offroad doesnt appeal to me.

Last edited:
Slander thanks for the detailed explanation/reasoning.

1) Was talking with my group about you driving everywhere and wheeling and they were impressed by that and also said they couldn't imagine doing that. I;d probably have to have a drag and drive style trailer full of every conceivable spare part I could possibly need in order to do what you do.

2) That's awesome on the street manners. I assumed it was pretty good on the street since you put in some much windshield time.

3) Definitely understandable on the UA type scenario. I talked to the guy in the flatflender about UA and got similar responses/impressions as your discussion with Durham. It sounds cool overall until you realize how little wheeling actually goes on during that week.

Slander thanks for the detailed explanation/reasoning.

1) Was talking with my group about you driving everywhere and wheeling and they were impressed by that and also said they couldn't imagine doing that. I;d probably have to have a drag and drive style trailer full of every conceivable spare part I could possibly need in order to do what you do.

2) That's awesome on the street manners. I assumed it was pretty good on the street since you put in some much windshield time.

3) Definitely understandable on the UA type scenario. I talked to the guy in the flatflender about UA and got similar responses/impressions as your discussion with Durham. It sounds cool overall until you realize how little wheeling actually goes on during that week.
I used to pack a ton more spares and tools with me, but have pared it down some. Like my diffs can be swapped f/r, I have a rear full floater axle so I can still drive it home if I break a shaft. I mostly worry about rolling it now without a cage and breaking a rear driveshaft. I carry a spare, but it's annoying to change them at camp:laughing:.

Not to shit on UA too much, I always loved Tim Hardy's Sami and it's been a loose inspiration for this build.

I was telling my group that I have been wheeling the truck since 2005, so I know it's limitations pretty well and what I can and can't flog on it and what I need to bypass or pull cable on. I'll try hard obstacles, but there is stuff I know just by looking at it that it's a big hell no!

Last edited:
I used to pack a ton more spares and tools with me, but have pared it down some. Like my diffs can be swapped f/r, I have a rear full floater axle so I can still drive it home if I break a shaft. I mostly worry about rolling it now without a cage and breaking a rear driveshaft. I carry a spare, but it's annoying to change them at camp:laughing:.

Not to shit on UA too much, I always loved Tim Hardy's Sami and it's been a loose inspiration for this build.

I was telling my group that I have been wheeling the truck since 2005, so I know it's limitations pretty well and what I can and can't flog it on, and what I need to bypass or pull cable on. I'll try hard obstacles, but there is stuff I know just by looking at it that it's a big hell no!
Makes sense on spares for sure and your worries too.

Vehicle familiarity/knowing limitations certainly helps when wheeling.

1) spare knuckle, tie rod, driveshafts, main leaf, misc hydro hoses & fittings, spare tire and shit like that. I have a bunn trail welder to round it out. Camping gear I have a gazelle tent, cooler, ez up and an action packer with dry food and misc camp stuff. The picture below is it loaded up and ready to leave on a trip to GER. Most of the trips are within 4hrs of my house, so I'm within the range of my wife running me out parts I forgot, or AAA tow home. When I lived in IL it was 11hrs to Harlan and I carried even less stuff with me tool and parts wise oddly enough.
PXL_20240418_204505665.jpg

2) I have it pretty dialed in street wise. The truck will do 75+, steers with one finger, cruise control works, and it gets like 14mpg on the highway. The pro comp mt2s are great on the highway, and when I don't sling weights off, the tires and beadlocks balance out almost perfectly. Im fairly meticulous with maintenance as well.

3) no. I mean every trip I do now is kind of like that, I don't want my truck plastered in sponsor stickers and I dont have any social media presence outside of here so I wouldn't be selected anyway. We were talking with Chris Durham and one of our guys in the group was asking him about UA and hearing him talk about it, it sounds like it kind of sucks honestly. Plus packing up and driving to a new park everyday would get old. I like wheeling all day, relaxing by a camp fire, and maybe hitting trails again at night if I don't have too much beer in me. I wouldn't be able to deal with wheeling on a schedule like that.

I try to do the hobby as cheap as possible, I had a tow rig and trailer with a jeep in the early 2000s and honestly I wrenched on the trailer and tow rig more than the trail rig lol!! Plus its just added cost that would annoy my very understanding wife, and I would much rather spend that money on my house. I like driving it to and from the trails, it's like how wheeling used to be when I first got into the hobby, and not gonna lie hearing people tell me how crazy, dumb or stupid I am makes me smile inside. Out wheeling trailer queens is also fun. Now my truck is in this weird middle ground where it tackles the easy to moderate trails fairly easy, but it struggles on the real hard stuff, BUT if I got a buggy I would be in death climb territory down here and I have no desire for that, plus I like my AC:laughing:

TLDR:
1) lots of spare parts and tools, ground tent and cooler
2) it's about dialed in where I want it
3) no because I'm not internet famous and wheeling with a sales manager in a JK from warn who has never been offroad doesnt appeal to me.

Key point right there. Wheeled a lot in the 90's pre-SAS, pre-crawler, pre-tow rig... Once the added complexity and costs arrived, almost all of us stopped wheeling... 🤷

A lot of truth to that. Being able to drive it around town between trips keeps me interested in the hobby.
That's the constant battle I have with my self between a dual purpose rig like yours and a dedicated buggy/crawler/trailer queen.

I don't get to/choose to wheel enough to really justify the dedicated buggy/crawler/trailer queen, but also don't have the group of dual purpose to go with either, without getting into the Jeep Duck crowd around here. :shaking:

That's the constant battle I have with my self between a dual purpose rig like yours and a dedicated buggy/crawler/trailer queen.

I don't get to/choose to wheel enough to really justify the dedicated buggy/crawler/trailer queen, but also don't have the group of dual purpose to go with either, without getting into the Jeep Duck crowd around here. :shaking:
I could see that. I'm also guessing the buggy guys you wheel with aren't exactly just leisurely trail riding, probably want to do the bounty hills and stupid climbs like that?

A lot of truth to that. Being able to drive it around town between trips keeps me interested in the hobby.
Mentioned it before, had a beautiful 03 DC that I was gonna buy once cry once. Lq4, NV4500, Atlas, tons, coilovers, Arb's, 41's on methods.... took so fucking long I got deeply annoyed by how long it was taking so I parted it out.

Picked up my 99 TRD 3rd ex cab and have been stock wheeling more in the last two months than the last 10 years. :homer:

I had blast wheeling my truck stock and on IFS and 33s, these trucks are crazy capable with a rear locker and a winch.
Facts. I have like 32's max, bald at's and if i can fit in the space you just hit the easy button and go. :grinpimp:

I came up on these dudes in my stock truck and it made me feel like, hell yeah. :homer:

20240713_162244.jpg
20240713_162836.jpg

The JL got held up on this for 5 mins. Then asked if I needed help spotting, nah. I've done this before. :laughing:

20240711_122755.jpg

20240711_122847.jpg

This damn thread had me walking around my 4Runner tonight in the shop thinking about rock sliders and skid plates…as I was wracking my brain on another step in the buggy build. :shaking:

If the 4Runner wasn’t the nicest thing I own, I’d be more inclined. :laughing:

This damn thread had me walking around my 4Runner tonight in the shop thinking about rock sliders and skid plates…as I was wracking my brain on another step in the buggy build. :shaking:

If the 4Runner wasn’t the nicest thing I own, I’d be more inclined. :laughing:

Sliders and skids will help keep it nice. :idea:

Top Back Refresh