What's new

2000 GMC W4500

mine was right on the edge of the flatbed, was kinda nice being able to park shit that wasn't full deck width up past the crane column
suppose you'll be leaving enough room to haul long stock along the passenger's side door, though
Yep, I'm taking that into account. It's why I've got the little headache rack just wider than the cab but smaller than the bed.

20240508_162829.jpg

I will probably copy the offset of the palfinger design. This doesn't stick out past the cab. It's a good bit of weight though on that side. 500 lb crane and the fuel tank.

1000002436.jpg

1000002434.jpg

Got it together and on the truck.

Fucking frame starts tapering just before the front bolts, that sucks. Also can't lay stuff past the cab flat on the deck without pulling the outrigger. Sits too high with the subframe. I should have made it integrated with the body. That was a mistake. Not much bolt to starter clearance.

second piece of square tube for the outriggers underneath the frame? doubles as a fuel tank bumper

second piece of square tube for the outriggers underneath the frame? doubles as a fuel tank bumper
Probably not going to be a big deal. It's only 3" higher. I almost always have whatever I'm hauling on dunnage anyway.

I'll have to make a cool bumper with a little rack to hold the front of material.

Just my scattered post migrane brain jumping to decisions.

I need to spend a certain amount and I'm out of space for tools.

Truck exhaust fucks me up.

Crane is worth more than the truck.

Idk sometimes I just hate all the projects. This will probably change tomorrow.

Figuring out where I should put the engine. Around here works best, off the side just a little more than pictured.
1000002537.jpg

Question is, that space between the main tubes is begging for a hydraulic tank. Will a little log splitter gear pump pull from 6"-8" above the fluid level? I don't remember if I've ever done one above a tank.

I guess if the return is below fluid level it won't ever matter once it's primed.

I guess if the return is below fluid level it won't ever matter once it's primed.
I can't say I've seen it either, though

dunno man

Oh, electric car hoists have the reservoir 2' below the pump suction port
but they're a vane pump, is that a vane pump?

Gear pump is still positive displacement, should be fine

If it's not fine, prime once in a great while

If it's really not fine, toss a cheap as hell little electric pump that will run for 5 seconds then shut off when you start the truck

1000002542.jpg
1000002543.jpg

Engine mount on and valve mount mocked up. I made a small spot to attach the bubble level beside it. This valve stack is for the outriggers, and power beyond will feed the crane hydraulics.

1000002555.jpg

1000002556.jpg

Tanks done. Probably should check for leaks. Almost had a big fawk up but got lucky. Just enough room to drop it in between the sub frame and end plate after I welded in the two lower half couplings. Zero clearance.

Started using the truck. Bed is pretty light so it's rough riding on these bullshit roads. Once the crane is mounted it should get better.

Brakes were way out of adjustment so the pedal was going to the floor and kicking on the emergency vac pump. Tighted up the adjusters on the rear and it's much better. Nice when it's a simple fix.

The exhaust was rotten so it got hacked off. Now it just dumps under beside the trans, makes annoying 4cyl in a little straight pipe sounds. I put a dumb turn down tip on it for now. I need to get a new exhaust brake and plumb it out back properly, but it's low priority.

Needs a digital flasher module with the led's, and I got some loom to tidy up the tail light wiring.

1000002675.jpg

Messing with the outrigger. Had to make this tube, because nothing nests with the 5x3x3/16. Goes in about here and gets snug, I need to pit a little heat to the outer tube to straighten it a tiny bit. I have little confidence I can weld out the seams of the inner box without warping. Will try anyway. Not even sure it's strong enough, it's roughly 4-1/2" x 2-5/8" with a 3/16" wall.

Max moment is 27,000 ftlbs. I think on the drivers side it's ok, but the passenger because of the offset it's really pushing it by my looks good enough meter.

Make the questionable side outta 1/4" instead?

I know this is the worst kind of annoying unsolicited and uneducated advice that this place is chock full of lately
"oh just go up a size I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about at all but it'll be fine"
'gee whiz asshole, I never would have thought about doing that'
"aren't I great?"

Make the questionable side outta 1/4" instead?

I know this is the worst kind of annoying unsolicited and uneducated advice that this place is chock full of lately
"oh just go up a size I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about at all but it'll be fine"
'gee whiz asshole, I never would have thought about doing that'
"aren't I great?"
Maybe, the radius changes with 1/4 so it won't be as tidy. I can a plate inside the box to stiffen it.

I wish I could math it out some how but it's a weird size and situation. Idk what happened to all the folks who did the cool stuff like FEA analysis.

Run it as is. If you bend it put it in your big fucking press and bend it back to straight.

Frankly that little bit of doubt over whether it can take the max the crane can dish out will probably keep you behaving in a way that it lasts a long time.

Run it as is. If you bend it put it in your big fucking press and bend it back to straight.

Frankly that little bit of doubt over whether it can take the max the crane can dish out will probably keep you behaving in a way that it lasts a long time.
Just bent isn't the typical failure mode that box would take. It will go from deflection to crumpled. Crane has its own lmi that won't let you get crazy.

Just bent isn't the typical failure mode that box would take. It will go from deflection to crumpled. Crane has its own lmi that won't let you get crazy.
I don't think you're gonna crumple 3/16 without some warning bends first. Maybe throw some really brittle paint on there so you can if it's flexing a lot.

Top Back Refresh