What's new

2000 GMC W4500

ding ding ding retard alert
Don't be a piece of shit texbook engineer. Surely you've fucked up enough tube in your life to know that the thicker wall stuff has a pretty wide margin where it'll bend before it fucks off entirely. The fact that he's got it up the tall way isn't gonna do him any favors in this regard but with the kinds of loads that a crane will see being used in a "I can't fuck this up because this a customer's jobsite manner" he's unlikely do to any of the real stupid shit that'll get it shock loaded.

You need to break some bigger shit.
This is a truck crane on an Isuzu NPR and it's gonna be run by the owner, not some hired idiot. Forest for the trees man.

Last edited:
Surely you've fucked up enough tube in your life to know that the thicker wall stuff has a pretty wide margin where it'll bend before it fucks off entirely.
bends a little, center of gravity shifts, oop, instantly fifteen zillion pounds is now reaching terminal velocity
heavy lifting shit fucks off really fast, you ever tipped a gantry crane over or kinked a piece of channel steel being used as a jib wrong way round because it's easier to chain to the forks that way?
it ain't slow, moment it starts moving there ain't no stopping it

So, I had A.I. run the calculations and it says it's good, although I think it's hard to describe properly to be sure I'm getting accurate feedback.

So, I had A.I. run the calculations and it says it's good, although I think it's hard to describe properly to be sure I'm getting accurate feedback.
Don't forget that most AI as we have it now (ChatGPT etc) is a language model built to sound convincing, not correct.
You can probably ask it for the formulas, but I wouldn't trust the result of a calculation.

Don't forget that most AI as we have it now (ChatGPT etc) is a language model built to sound convincing, not correct.
You can probably ask it for the formulas, but I wouldn't trust the result of a calculation.
Agreed. It worked through the formulas and I ran it a few times slightly different. It gave me what i think is an incorrect answer when it calculated strength along the weak axis which was the same as the strong axis.

Convincing not correct. That's a lefty biased progressive program for sure.

1000002676.jpg

Tweaked it a little to receive a 4x2x3/16 box inside. I can plug weld it in a few spots and around the ends.

bends a little, center of gravity shifts, oop, instantly fifteen zillion pounds is now reaching terminal velocity
heavy lifting shit fucks off really fast, you ever tipped a gantry crane over or kinked a piece of channel steel being used as a jib wrong way round because it's easier to chain to the forks that way?
it ain't slow, moment it starts moving there ain't no stopping it
This. It is scary how fast everything goes to shit as a shifting load increases the forces exponentially as it continues to fail/bend.

1000002677.jpg

Looks like a fail. Even with it plug welded to the tube, it turned into a trapezoid.

I guess I'll get some 4x2x3/8 and make some slide things to take up the slop.

1000002678.jpg

Something like this. I'll cut out two strips and weld them to the box tube. The receiving tube radius makes this kinda tough, I'll have to bevel the flat stock.

put four gibs on it, top bottom and sides
don't gotta be big pieces, just li'l tabs at the far inside end of the outside of the inside slidey tube then another four right where they'll barely be inside the outer tube when fully extended

1000002677.jpg

Looks like a fail. Even with it plug welded to the tube, it turned into a trapezoid.

I guess I'll get some 4x2x3/8 and make some slide things to take up the slop.
Slops not so bad. Every crane I can think of has fairly loose fitting outrigger beams.

put four gibs on it, top bottom and sides
don't gotta be big pieces, just li'l tabs at the far inside end of the outside of the inside slidey tube then another four right where they'll barely be inside the outer tube when fully extended
Problem I have with just taking up the space is I need it to resist a twisty motion as well. That makes me have to get something up in the corners. Hard to explain without wiggling it, but enough space to slide nice and not enough to twist.

Problem I have with just taking up the space is I need it to resist a twisty motion as well. That makes me have to get something up in the corners. Hard to explain without wiggling it, but enough space to slide nice and not enough to twist.
you aren't thinking like a snap-on engineer designing the whiz bang new for 1962 socket line

"flank drive" man,
flank drive

Agreed. It worked through the formulas and I ran it a few times slightly different. It gave me what i think is an incorrect answer when it calculated strength along the weak axis which was the same as the strong axis.

Convincing not correct. That's a lefty biased progressive program for sure.
At the risk of going massively OT...

Not everything is a political conspiracy :homer: ChatGPT is a statistical language model, it basically just calculates which letter/word is most likely to follow the previous. That statistical model has been trained on millions of texts, including the internet.

The fact that it works as well as it does is amazing enough, but it being a language model means it doesn't really know how to do actual math. At least, not yet.

Anyway, on with the cool build!

Top Back Refresh