What's new

2000 Ford F-550 Build

Got her on the ground! Are these coils clapped out? Bumpstops are basically engaged at ride height
B47C45CD-6DB2-4E3D-99B0-BC3151C5F84A.png
:laughing:

Dang it.

With your wheelbase, you have a lot of wieght on that front axle, but I'd think it would hold it better than that. I wonder how many different rate coils there were.

Google shows a few different rates for the F550s. Did the frame sections have the vin by chance?

Good news is that a few companies make HD coils for the F550s for like $200.

Or just bag it :flipoff2:

Last edited:
huh
kickup in the frame higher on the leafspring trucks making the coil buckets sit higher than they were on the coil spring frame cut?

let me compare the kick up. That’s a good point.

I saw higher spring rate springs on google. Like 35+% over stock F550 springs.

I don’t have the vin. I asked the guy and he won’t get back to me :mad3:

I thought about the frame hieght too, but that would just move the bumps stops higher also?

I'd get some weights on it, loaded and unloaded. You can kinda estimate your spring rate at that point if you subtract unsprung wieght and do the math on how much the coil is compressing.

You're honestly probably pretty safe to order some of those HD coils and just run it.

Another option, is a set of leveling kit spacers for now, until you figure out what you need. Might be able to find a used set locally?

This is an unloaded ticket. 5,180. That’s when I first got the truck. No real weight changes have happened up front since getting the truck. I have the 50 gallon transfer tank about mid way down the chassis so maybe a couple hundred lbs at the highest. I have a ticket on here when I was at 28K my front was at 5,720 GAWR on the old front end was 6k. So I have never gone over it.

A9AD7A94-F87F-4C83-8F6B-557EB2B71BB0.jpeg

With that said my buddy has a 2012 F450 pick up (non cab and chassis) but it’s got the same wide track “super 60” and he said he’s only got 1in between the bumpstop and the pad. (His pic attached) I could throw a 1in spacer in there but it may be a coil rate problem, not a ride height issue...

The rear leafs look identical (number of leafs and thickness of each leaf) but now I’m a little nervous to swap them out. I’ve driven quite a few setups. Many sketchy setups, many “proper” setups that should handle loads well that don’t.

I can honestly say the suspension on this truck has been amazing. People see a giant hummer on the back and say that’s gotta be sketchy. I’ve had 21,200 lbs on this chassis and it’s rated for 19,500. Suspension wise it has NEVER once felt sketchy. Gnarly crosswinds, 75 mph. Winding roads. The suspension handled it. What could use improvement was the braking and this swap will do that but I’m really hoping I don’t go backwards in suspension and handling Category. I didn’t think it could get better then what it was.

0D039666-8570-486E-B76F-2473F1A0E917.png

wait until you see how it rides with those coils before you go buying more biggerer ones

spacers on the bottom between the coil and axle would be fine, with the wide track axle with those sheetmetal spring perches it'd be easy to put a bolt through the whole mess like TTB springs got

Use the 05+ line. It fits.

Why do you have to weld on sway bar mount brackets?
The thread pitch is the same. Different ends though. I installed it. We will see if it leaks.

At this point all that’s really left is hooking up the PS steering lines to the box, welding the Steering box bolt sleeve on the inside of the frame (welded the outside portion)

Then put in the steering shaft when it arrives. Getting closer!

D803F14A-0105-4247-83CE-0D74637AA178.jpeg

This is an unloaded ticket. 5,180. That’s when I first got the truck. No real weight changes have happened up front since getting the truck. I have the 50 gallon transfer tank about mid way down the chassis so maybe a couple hundred lbs at the highest. I have a ticket on here when I was at 28K my front was at 5,720 GAWR on the old front end was 6k. So I have never gone over it.

5180 is heavier than my loaded F550 work truck with an aftermarket bumper :laughing:

Although that's with a ~22k lb trailer behind it so obviously it leveraging wieght off the front.

I don't see those coils working out for you. With the hummer only you will have the most front end wieght. Although I bet a normal travel trailer isn't leveraging that much wieght off the front. I'd still plan for about 6k on the front loaded. I think I read there is a 7500 lb factory option. Then the aftermarket coils say they're rated for 5k ea :eek:

These are another option

Although I don't think you use the truck empty much? Which would make me just lean towards just heavier coils.

I’ll probably just go with heavier coils. I wish I knew what these were rated for but that guy won’t get back to me.

I’ll drive it to see but I’ll plan on heavier coils.

I actually don’t think those lines have the same thread pitch. Do guys just get 16mm to JIC adapters? Then just custom lines made?

I’ll probably just go with heavier coils. I wish I knew what these were rated for but that guy won’t get back to me.

I’ll drive it to see but I’ll plan on heavier coils.

I actually don’t think those lines have the same thread pitch. Do guys just get 16mm to JIC adapters? Then just custom lines made?

If you're gonna go to JIC then just run off the shelf hoses.

I did that on my H3. I run a Nissan Xterra box with hydro assist.

Put the weird mm to jic adapters on and went to straight JIC lines. Been 8 years with no issues.

I’ll go that route. I know it was mentioned I could run the 05+ hose but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

LOL, she’s one heavy bitch then!

Your wheelbase is a big factor, especially with the rig on the back.

I think it's 5200 on the front with a trailer. So probably around 5500 as it sits.

The Porta potty trucks at work are heavier on the truck it's self. I glanced at 1 today and it had less space, but wasn't touching. No idea how full their tanks are or whatever.

Again, these are all newer and relatively low mileage. The coils you have, may have lived a long hard life :laughing:

Just for giggles could you see if a 2x4 gives you the lift you need. Then just get a puck leveling kit. Or even go lift coils?

One thing you havent posted is how compressed the coil is...

I can get a compressed coil pic and I don’t think it’s an issue regarding ride height because stock ride height is fine for me. It’s a rate problem. I’m looking for a spring to support the weight at stock height which this spring isn’t doing

I can get a compressed coil pic and I don’t think it’s an issue regarding ride height because stock ride height is fine for me. It’s a rate problem. I’m looking for a spring to support the weight at stock height which this spring isn’t doing
The question would be whether the issue is the spring being worn/sagging and thus having a weaker spring rate than it should (which could be fixed with a pair of new springs of the same part number), or too much weight (which would require a spring with a higher spring rate to fix).

Aaron Z

FWIW I just ordered new 5200 lb springs from ford to replace my 6000lb springs that came in my F350. I think they are the same up to 550’s too and you’re welcome to have them for shipping cost. You can look into heavier rate springs direct from Ford I’m sure, I think any of the rates were all around $60 per coil brand new OEM when I looked.

FWIW I just ordered new 5200 lb springs from ford to replace my 6000lb springs that came in my F350. I think they are the same up to 550’s too and you’re welcome to have them for shipping cost. You can look into heavier rate springs direct from Ford I’m sure, I think any of the rates were all around $60 per coil brand new OEM when I looked.

Well thats good to know.

Might be able to ship them using ups flat rate size for like $25. At least then he could have a baseline, since he would know what rate is in there.

If ford stiffest F550 coil is rated for 7k/pair, I'd be hesitant to go with those 5k each coils :laughing:

I appreciate it Snowy I will let you know.

I got the steering shaft in and I don’t think it will bolt on to the upper shaft. I was pretty sure it wasn’t but tried it anyways. I’ll look into that tonight.

I got my -6 Hydraulic lines yesterday. I wanted a spare....(2) 29in lines with 90 fittings was $163!!!! This was at motion & flow control products. They are all over the western US. Basically Wyoming, Colorado, AZ and west. Anyways, I damn near fell over. The guy asked me when the last time I bought hydraulic lines was, which was 2014 when I got lines made for the hummer during the SAS. I think it was $80-100 for 2 lines back then at a Napa?

He said there’s been like 4 price increases in 2021, and already 2 in 2022. :mad3:

Anyways, I have the hose and a spare. I’m still on my original set in the hummer so hopefully I put them in and move on without worry for 8+ years.

I just hope I have the correct fittings. I realized I have boregson 925151 not Russell 648060. The Russell fitting has a flare and o ring on it. The boregson doesn’t.

5180 is heavier than my loaded F550 work truck with an aftermarket bumper :laughing: edit: it's actually not. :homer: Its actually almost exactly that with the trailer.

Although that's with a ~22k lb trailer behind it so obviously it leveraging wieght off the front.

I don't see those coils working out for you. With the hummer only you will have the most front end wieght. Although I bet a normal travel trailer isn't leveraging that much wieght off the front. I'd still plan for about 6k on the front loaded. I think I read there is a 7500 lb factory option. Then the aftermarket coils say they're rated for 5k ea :eek:

These are another option

Although I don't think you use the truck empty much? Which would make me just lean towards just heavier coils.

Oops, meant to edit, not quote :homer:

Someone asked for a coil spring pic. Here is how collapsed it looks.

A7D009F6-0BED-41FA-BCC5-CA973D261D65.jpeg

Got the steering shaft out. Trying to decide if I cut/weld/modify it to work or buy the upper.

448C0FD6-2D0B-48BE-A056-CA8BE800A2EA.jpeg

That's not the (new) right steering shaft. It doesn't look like the one I have.

new shaft just looks like the slip joint is fully collapsed
is the 'box' half actually shorter than the old one's?

ETA: I'd just cut the rivets and use some bolts to use the new rubber donut/spliney bit on the old shaft
use stover nuts, or tack weld the nuts

I suppose I forgot to add in "if the halves aren't able to be swapped easily" to the front of the ETA bit

Top Back Refresh