What's new

2000 Ford F-550 Build

Hey guys. I’ll get an update here soon but I got home around 1am this morning, I went the Vegas route so I went up the baker grade and I thought it did very well!

I chuckle as I felt the drive to hammers was exhausting and the truck wore me out and the drive back I drove from 9am (10am MST) to 1am MST with a 1 hour break/detour to see a friends new house and baby in Vegas and didn’t feel tired at all.

The fuel range KICKED ASS! I drove for over 8 hours non stop and finally got out to stretch. I went about 650 miles since my last fill up and I am still seeing 5 gallons in the aux tank and about 1/4 tank in the main. It felt great to not fill up once in CA to avoid giving that state a penny of fuel tax dollars.

I do have the factory deadening on the hood. Admittedly, my truck is straight piped....I have a 4in downpipe to 10 ft of 4in straight pipe to a little turn out. Do mufflers cause EGTs to rise? Maybe I’ll slap a muffler on

I do have the factory deadening on the hood. Admittedly, my truck is straight piped....I have a 4in downpipe to 10 ft of 4in straight pipe to a little turn out. Do mufflers cause EGTs to rise? Maybe I’ll slap a muffler on
get a school bus muffler they're 4" all the way through and about the size of a coffin
there's a place near me that sells them for scrap money, they part out busses and trucks, mostly sell frame cuts and such

As long as your exhaust goes out away from the cab, I don't think it's as much of the cab noise as the engine it's self. Although, the SD cab is much quieter than my obs. Muffler won't hurt though.

Just make sure its the straight thru type muffler, Donaldson/nelson etc make a few different lengths. Wont affect EGT.

So I logged around 1700 miles on this trip and I finished it very happy with the performance. After the last trip in April with losing the boot on the turbo I was feeling nervous about the truck and its relability but this trip restored my faith.

On the way down I went through Western NV and the way back up through Eastern NV. Both desolate but a change of scenary which is nice.

I was so wore out after the drive down but felt fine after 15 hours on the drive back up, funny how that works.

A few things to note, I do not push this truck hard and dont know what is "letting it eat" (with safety in mind) vs. stupidity and trouble.
I aim to never let EGTs over 1100. I may have gotten to 1150 for less then 5 seconds but never over 1200. I also didnt hold over 28 lbs of boost sustained. I usually would sustain a max of 26 psi. I hit 28 lbs for a second. At home I can hit 40 lbs of boost just messing around. I have head studs and I believe my tunes are good but again, being far from home I play it safe, maybe too safe.

With all that in mind I tackled tbe Baker Grade outside of Baker, CA (home of the worlds tallest thermometer!) with success. I was able to maintain 62-70 mph on the grade. At one point I thought I smelled something burning even though all gauges were in check. I let out and assuming my rear diff is the only old thing left and it was that. At that point I dealt with the 3-4 shift issue. I wasnt getting back into OD with the rpm I was pulling like I mentioned in an earlier post so I was stuck around 54 mph.

Once I hit a flat section near the end I sped back up and didnt go under 62 again for that final portion of the grade.

That was all while staying under 1100 EGT maintained and 26psi or less. It was 70* ambient outside. I figure the baker grade is a popular grade if you are traveling out west and may have some data to compare.

The fuel capacity is amazing. There is nothing else to be said about that. Never again do I want to travel with out that much fuel.

I also was given an F350 tie rod and drag link along with a track bar and track bar bracket from a friend when I was down there. I assume the 05+ F550 axle I want to swap in requires a longer drag link and tie rod, which I can sleeve and extend. I am curious if the track bar is the same length. Anyone know that?

There really is nothing to do from a fix standpoint from this trip.

I do have a slight leak since I finished the truck, which I thought was the oil pan, but I actually think its the crank pulley, when I changed out for the Melling LPOP I have heard of the crank pulley wearing a groove and not sealing after removing it. I want to get a final plan on the aux trans, rebuild the rear end and swap in the F550 front axle from that 05+ vehicle.

Here are some pics of it.

JvzlSzzl.jpg

d47MHSOl.jpg

P3LHY4tl.jpg

Awesome glad you made it uneventful.

I think for a 7.3 to "let it eat" means don't worry about excessive RPM just give her the beans, down shift if you need to.

Think this is a good idea? Don’t have to dick around trying to find F550 specific springs and sway bars and crap. Overpriced or a good deal? Comes with wheels which is cool too

Attachments

• AD3BFFC6-7CD5-4EA3-A440-1D28EC033CCE.jpeg
    AD3BFFC6-7CD5-4EA3-A440-1D28EC033CCE.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 40
  • B83F1807-F902-4114-8193-6C237746B564.jpeg
    B83F1807-F902-4114-8193-6C237746B564.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 7EBE4885-E1B0-41D5-8188-A6655FACF158.png
    7EBE4885-E1B0-41D5-8188-A6655FACF158.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 45
  • F967A1E0-3028-439E-88AC-60C54589E2E2.jpeg
    F967A1E0-3028-439E-88AC-60C54589E2E2.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 41
Seems like a decent deal. Iirc I paid about a grand shipped just for the s130 4.30 lsd diff and axle shafts.

Messaged the guy and told him I’ll take it. Only concern is he’s 10 hours away one way. I can’t get out there till after KOH. So 3-4 weeks out. He needs cash now to use towards a new truck.

Did a search on him. No record or criminal past, his address is under his name. Not fond of paying a stranger 10 hours away now to hope my purchase is still there a month later

that's the good 'wide track' front end
dunno about the 2500, but if its worth it to you, go for it
frame cuts are way better than bare axles

Messaged the guy and told him I’ll take it. Only concern is he’s 10 hours away one way. I can’t get out there till after KOH. So 3-4 weeks out. He needs cash now to use towards a new truck.

Did a search on him. No record or criminal past, his address is under his name. Not fond of paying a stranger 10 hours away now to hope my purchase is still there a month later
What city is he in? Maybe someone could house it for you ?

Those will have 10 lug vs your 8 lug. It's a good thing as I believe it's a much more common pattern. As they kept it from 05 up and I think dodge 4500 and 5500 also.

Does it come with those 4 wheels?

Also, I may be interested in your old outters.

Yeah, it comes with everything pictured. 6 wheels/tires. Tires are wasted....but I need 10 lug rims, my current rear axle housing is hairline cracked. So I need a rear axle, I need new rims. I have a wide track front end but I still need basically everything to go with it. I can sell my current wide track front axle and just use this for $2500. Idk how much I’ll get nickel and dimed for radius arms and all the other crap to go with my current wide track front end sitting in the garage. @[486]

YotaAtieToo do you know someone in Redding that could hold onto it for 3-4 weeks? I may try and bust my ass to get the Hummer done and my wife’s camper E350 thing done this week after work each night and do a 20 hour mission to Redding and back next weekend. Just depends though.

Yeah, it comes with everything pictured. 6 wheels/tires. Tires are wasted....but I need 10 lug rims, my current rear axle housing is hairline cracked. So I need a rear axle, I need new rims. I have a wide track front end but I still need basically everything to go with it. I can sell my current wide track front axle and just use this for $2500. Idk how much I’ll get nickel and dimed for radius arms and all the other crap to go with my current wide track front end sitting in the garage. @[486]

I'd go that way hands down, then you know everything suspension, axle and brake wise is from an 06. I'd imagine your extra axle is worth near half that to the right person.

YotaAtieToo do you know someone in Redding that could hold onto it for 3-4 weeks? I may try and bust my ass to get the Hummer done and my wife’s camper E350 thing done this week after work each night and do a 20 hour mission to Redding and back next weekend. Just depends though.

total newb is in the greater redding area and loves adventures with 19.5s :flipoff2:

Here comes the vulture :flipoff2:

Keep me in mind with your old front please. I'm passively looking for that exact piece. My 97 has the same inner C's and I've thought about running F450/550 outters with the adapter removed for big brakes. From what I read, those would be bigger than even the 2011 F250/350 rotors :smokin: then add a disc brake 10.5 rear and just go to 8x170. If you get a chance, I'd be curious what type of clearance there is between the current calipers and 19.5s as I'd like to use 18s.

I'd then have live spindle ball joint outters and donor C's for some type of crawler axle. :laughing:

Which axle? the 2wd beam under the truck now or my other F550 05+ axle?

2wd beam. Should be the same c's, knuckles, brakes and unit bearings as a 4wd I believe?

Knuckles and whatnot yes. Unit bearings not sure, because the hubs don't have any provision for a spline. Worth double checking.

yeah I’ll keep you in mind on when I pull it. I know the hubs do not have provisions for an axle shaft.

I guess you guys are right. I'm thinking of the dodges where you can clearly see the empty splines for the stub :laughing:

I'd probably want do new wheel bearings anyway. It's mostly the knuckles I'd be interested it, but I'd take the whole axle, maybe the leafs too.

Sounds good. I’ll let you know. That project will start hopefully in the spring.

Someone on the Ford forum suggested I cut the frame and weld the new frame section on. Supposedly 05+ is reinforced and stronger. Sounds fucking miserable and unfun. Idk how motor mounts and all that shit changes

Sounds good. I’ll let you know. That project will start hopefully in the spring.

Maybe we could time it to where I could give you a hand with some of the heavy lifting. I'm in no rush at all.

If you get a chance, can you measure the inside of the wheels and about how much room there is between the wheel and caliper. I've tried Googling, but can not find solid info on what size wheels are actually required. I'd like to not go to 20s if I don't have to.

Someone on the Ford forum suggested I cut the frame and weld the new frame section on. Supposedly 05+ is reinforced and stronger. Sounds fucking miserable and unfun. Idk how motor mounts and all that shit changes

Fuck that, I would not even consider that for a moment.

Maybe we could time it to where I could give you a hand with some of the heavy lifting. I'm in no rush at all.

If you get a chance, can you measure the inside of the wheels and about how much room there is between the wheel and caliper. I've tried Googling, but can not find solid info on what size wheels are actually required. I'd like to not go to 20s if I don't have to.

Fuck that, I would not even consider that for a moment.
That’s exactly what I said in my mind. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Yeah, I’ll get in the garage and get some measurements

That's what I plan to do. The front section of the frame, starting just ahead of the radius arm mounts, is riveted together with a plate on the inside, then the outer rail is but welded together. Wouldn't be hard to cut the weld and rivets out, then slide the new frame section right into your old frame.

Motor mounts are the same (well, they are for the 6.0) and the frame section is gusseted around the motor mount/front cradle for the coil buckets.

If you go with new axles, I want the dually to wheel bearing adapters :flipoff2:

The odd large 8 lug? What for, just curious?
he's been trying to buy a set for the last... while
it's kinda something of a joke at this point
so far m92's found him a set in the back of a craigslist methmobile on the wrong coast, though

ETA: maybe that was the ghetto fab thread, I forget

Update: drove the truck 1700 miles round trip to KOH and back. Didn’t rent a trailer this year. Wife bought a 2003 Ford E350 bus that’s a V10 4R100 2wd dually with a dana 70 last summer and she drove that out. Long term I think we will still get a trailer. That bus is a tad small for long trips. It was cheaper in fuel to bring it then to rent a trailer again. Anyways....here’s a pic of the convoy.
A96ECE43-E89C-4497-A0BB-013C8FD5E4C4.jpeg

Bus was flawless. Truck had an HPOP fitting leak. I’m not sure if I told the story about how I had to take the truck on 60 miles of dirt roads back in November. I think that wiggled some shit loose. Lost some time dealing with that on the road but other then that the truck did well.

I am continually amazed at how solid the rear suspension is. You don’t feel it back there. My wife said she was white knuckling it with some crosswinds and I didn’t even realize there were some crosswinds :smokin: granted, she’s got no rear sway bar....but still. I have way more weight up there. Buddy in a 2012 F450 truck (not C&C) said he had some white knuckle moments with his truck bed camper on the way to koh. I have yet to have that. The suspension is solid!

Now I really gotta get my ass in gear on the 4wd swap. I have an 1000 mile trip to pick up the axles/front frame in the next couple weekends (gotta lock down a date.) Then I gotta decide wtf I’m gonna do. Swap it all over, frame splice it?

At first I said fuck that to the frame splice but the coil spring frames are reinforced, I’m on the fence.

I also need to get that aux 7041 trans in.

Goal is end of summer to have it all done. 4wd swap and aux trans.

Top Back Refresh