What's new

1991 Snow Tracker Build

30’s on the left, 32’s on the right. Not a huge differemce on paper.

96F6D992-B28A-466C-961A-FC48D41060BE.png

Ill be interested in how you like it. Cant recall if you went 4.24 or not. My 8v with 32-34s was a turd. High range was useless and low range wasnt low enough to crawl anything. Ended up dropping back to 30s to get more power back. I wish there was a good way to add a ~1.5 reduction box in the mix somewhere.

I know I bead this topic to death, but we're they sxs tires or swampers?

The difference in rotating mass is very noticeable. Especially on a zuk. The sxs tires are considerably lighter than an LT radial, and way lighter than a tsl/sx, ect.

I once went from 33x14.5 boggers on 15x12 faux beadlocks to slick bald 39.5 iroks on regular 15x8s. Besides starting out, it was actually quicker on the iroks because they weighed nothing :laughing:

I know I bead this topic to death, but we're they sxs tires or swampers?

The difference in rotating mass is very noticeable. Especially on a zuk. The sxs tires are considerably lighter than an LT radial, and way lighter than a tsl/sx, ect.

I once went from 33x14.5 boggers on 15x12 faux beadlocks to slick bald 39.5 iroks on regular 15x8s. Besides starting out, it was actually quicker on the iroks because they weighed nothing :laughing:

This was swampers, as it was really before sxs tires existed except for the big wheeled mud tires. I believe in what youre saying 100%. Using the lightest tire that can accomplish your outcome, is best.

I did go 4.24. I can tell the crawl isn’t as slow, but is still way better than stock on 30’s.

2 high on the road is great, but I also just did all new valves and the power is as good as it can be.

Itching to get it out and crawl up some creek beds with it and test it. I’m less worried about bumping over stuff with the bigger tires and solid skid plate now.

Sounds like they should work good. Mine was also running propane, so Im sure that wasnt helping the power any. Next one I am shooting to run a 35 sxs tire, if I can get the gearing right.

Sounds like they should work good. Mine was also running propane, so Im sure that wasnt helping the power any. Next one I am shooting to run a 35 sxs tire, if I can get the gearing right.
Not to be that guy but the propane should give you more power, runs cleaner and equivalent to 110 (ish) octane.

Not to be that guy but the propane should give you more power, runs cleaner and equivalent to 110 (ish) octane.
Propane only gives you more power if you have a motor designed to run it. Yes, it is 110 octane, which lets you turn up the timing to gain a little power, but propane has less energy than gasoline. Running it on the same engine without changes will net ~20% lower power. It does run cleaner and is easier to troubleshoot.

Propane only gives you more power if you have a motor designed to run it. Yes, it is 110 octane, which lets you turn up the timing to gain a little power, but propane has less energy than gasoline. Running it on the same engine without changes will net ~20% lower power. It does run cleaner and is easier to troubleshoot.

I agree with you but who just throws on propane without changing anything, even something as small as advancing the timing puts you past stock numbers. I get you though could be sluggish if just slapped on.

I don't think I've ever made it past a few hundred on a propane setup before slapping a turbo on. Some of the best 1.3L, 1.6L 8 valves and 22r's I've run were turbo pane, just too easy to do with propane.

Hijack over, where's the wheeling pics testing out these new gears?!

I agree with you but who just throws on propane without changing anything, even something as small as advancing the timing puts you past stock numbers. I get you though could be sluggish if just slapped on.

I don't think I've ever made it past a few hundred on a propane setup before slapping a turbo on. Some of the best 1.3L, 1.6L 8 valves and 22r's I've run were turbo pane, just too easy to do with propane.

Hijack over, where's the wheeling pics testing out these new gears?!

Maybe this weekend.

Still need to get caught up on yard work and pull a Tracker drivetrain. :flipoff2:

Freaking rain is non stop anymore.

Plan on going anywhere particular or local areas?

And what's with all the motor pulling? you make too many crazy deals!? 😂

We’re going to the ‘Ville the weekend of the 15th. Not sure if I’m taking the Tracker or the big unit.

Then the Turkeyshoot the weekend before thanksgiving. We’ll have a group of 4-5 Tracks for this one.

Either one or both I’ll show you around. Let me know man.

We’re going to the ‘Ville the weekend of the 15th. Not sure if I’m taking the Tracker or the big unit.

Then the Turkeyshoot the weekend before thanksgiving. We’ll have a group of 4-5 Tracks for this one.

Either one or both I’ll show you around. Let me know man.

Damn, I have a Halloween party to attend the 15th (fawkin stoopid).

But I can definitely make the Trackershoot!

Plan on going anywhere particular or local areas?

And what's with all the motor pulling? you make too many crazy deals!? 😂

I want to do a shake down run locally.

I’m considering towing this out to you when I bring that drivetrain out, and spending a day at AOAA. Still not sure yet.

Last night I was out smoking a cigar in the shop, thinking.

Ended up grabbing an old spare tire carrier off the shelf, cutting the studs off, and welding a plate to it. I got the Rotopax mount bolted up.

This will be for winter runs. 2 gallons of gas can get us to a station. For some reason once this gets past a 1/2 tank, it dwindles very, very fast. I filled up last night on fumes. :laughing:

Ignore my boogery welds, my speed fluctuation, and the fact I burnt into the 1/4” plate pretty deep. I’m aware how bad it all looks. :lmao:

08526EE1-FC89-4920-960E-FFD01CB806CB.jpeg
28CF2A43-AF5A-4820-9034-24875AA441A3.jpeg
95ED94DF-1783-4FEE-A495-3556FBC4DAC4.jpeg

The welds look like the metal will stick together and that's the important part lol. I had done a similar thing to my one samurai, I had a long trip coming up and wanted peace of mind for those 2am and can't find a gas station situations so I just fabbed a small basket off stock tire mount that a 5 gal blitz can fit and threw spare inside on floor. I figured I can stand smell of tire inside but no go on gas can for multiple reasons.

You know those times you do a lot of work, and overlook one or two small things?

Yeah…I really regret not replacing the outer seals on my front diff when I dropped it out to do the oil pan gasket. :homer:

63CA4AC7-903B-4616-AA3F-C0F2249D8D50.jpeg

Shake down run went…okay. :laughing:

I crawled some big rocks in a creek bed. Wet and slick. Smashed in the driver’s side rockers pretty good…then it happened.

We forgot a chainsaw and I tried winching out a log across the creek. I was re-positioning and didn’t realize my winch was still engaged. Thought I was just hung up in a slick rock. Well…boom.

Going to swap everything and head back out next Sunday with a chainsaw. :smokin:

C9055430-E269-4472-B3E9-A7A5912D9AA2.jpeg
C63E5165-B1D0-4EDF-9CCA-7F0407E1A52F.jpeg
BDE1E019-CEF3-4FE4-A8FC-6AE0F5963710.jpeg

It's really a bummer they made all that stuff aluminum. Really annoying part to be the weak link.

How committed are you? :flipoff2:

1989-1998 Suzuki Sidekick/Tracker Steel Front Axle Upgrade

Is Calmini still in business? Can't say I'd send them a cent, but these look sweet if you're dedicated to the ifs

Hard to justify the price considering most of us probably paid around that much for the whole rig :laughing:

These guys make full front straight axle housings

I wonder if they would be willing to make an IFS center?

I had no idea I was engaged on the winch. It wouldn’t have broke if I wasn’t trying to pull a tree. :laughing:

Almost swapped over.

When I run out of spares I’ll think of something else to do. :flipoff2: Like get a drive train to Wuz-A-zuk and get those Toyota axles off him.

So the 96’s as most know have a bigger spline count. But my 96’ driver axle is a little chewed up as is the ring gear. So I swapped ring gears and got it all set up. I’ll run the 91’ splines for now (need to order 96 CV for the passenger side).

All I have to do is drop in the third and shove it all back up in there. Back up and wheeling, and going to take it easier on the skinny pedal. :homer::laughing:

AEE7339C-DC7B-460C-B758-63EED13C8930.jpeg

Working on the floor because I have two engines torn down. Ugh.

D6F8C7D6-94F7-41F5-8A7D-73D16CD82CE9.jpeg

It's really a bummer they made all that stuff aluminum. Really annoying part to be the weak link.

How committed are you? :flipoff2:

1989-1998 Suzuki Sidekick/Tracker Steel Front Axle Upgrade

Is Calmini still in business? Can't say I'd send them a cent, but these look sweet if you're dedicated to the ifs

Hard to justify the price considering most of us probably paid around that much for the whole rig :laughing:

These guys make full front straight axle housings

I wonder if they would be willing to make an IFS center?

Actually…that steel IFS from Low Range isn’t bad.

I know it seems stupid, but the IFS is just so much nicer for 90% of the riding we do. I remember what wheeling a solid axle up front was like. It’s real slow as your eating all the bumps.

Hence why I want to track down a decent Samurai. Turn that into a solid axle crawler and still have the comfy IFS Tracker.

Actually…that steel IFS from Low Range isn’t bad.

I know it seems stupid, but the IFS is just so much nicer for 90% of the riding we do. I remember what wheeling a solid axle up front was like. It’s real slow as your eating all the bumps.

Hence why I want to track down a decent Samurai. Turn that into a solid axle crawler and still have the comfy IFS Tracker.

Except that it doesn't include the 3rd :laughing:

I think we should all email zor and see if they'll do them. They should have tons of donor samurai center sections from doing the hybrid axles.

Except that it doesn't include the 3rd :laughing:

I think we should all email zor and see if they'll do them. They should have tons of donor samurai center sections from doing the hybrid axles.
I wouldn’t trust Calmini to deliver on parts for money exchanged. I have a samurai front housing I have hung on to in case I bomb an aluminum like FleshEater did. It probably wouldn’t be pretty but I bet I could make my own steel can.

I personally wouldn't buy anything from ZOR unless it's changed owners and parts quality has come way up. I byilt this single cab sammy pickup for my pops from the ground up. He bought their "snatch" t case cradle and i ended up having to cut most of it apart and rework it to fit properly, and he took it to their shop to have a turbo kit put on. Came back complete garbage. Leaking fittings everywhere, boost pipe just laying on the radiator hoses, bad fuel pump, bad regulator, wiring was atrocious. Turbo ended up being junk. He had to rip it all out and go back to a weber.
20200510_171304.jpg

I personally wouldn't buy anything from ZOR unless it's changed owners and parts quality has come way up. I byilt this single cab sammy pickup for my pops from the ground up. He bought their "snatch" t case cradle and i ended up having to cut most of it apart and rework it to fit properly, and he took it to their shop to have a turbo kit put on. Came back complete garbage. Leaking fittings everywhere, boost pipe just laying on the radiator hoses, bad fuel pump, bad regulator, wiring was atrocious. Turbo ended up being junk. He had to rip it all out and go back to a weber.

Good to know. I have been eyeballing thier hybrid housings. I should probably just do it myself or go trail tough.

I've installed a snatch and was no impressed at all. The eos spine is so much nicer and I believe stronger.

I wouldn’t trust Calmini to deliver on parts for money exchanged. I have a samurai front housing I have hung on to in case I bomb an aluminum like FleshEater did. It probably wouldn’t be pretty but I bet I could make my own steel can.

I agree, although that housing looks nice.

Would you use a samurai 3rd member also?

Good to know. I have been eyeballing thier hybrid housings. I should probably just do it myself or go trail tough.

I've installed a snatch and was no impressed at all. The eos spine is so much nicer and I believe stronger.

I agree, although that housing looks nice.

Would you use a samurai 3rd member also?
I don’t know. Knock on wood I’ve not yet had a problem with either the aluminum banjo or 3rd. IIRC there is an axle shaft interference issue on the short side making it so you can’t just use a samurai 3rd in a kick diff. I’d love to do the mod where you have a flanged short side and then use both drivers side cv’s. But I don’t have the time to fuss with it. It’s sitting at a friends house with a bad engine putting flat spots on brand new tires.

20200510_171304.jpg
That thing is pimp as hell

Top Back Refresh