What's new

1991 Snow Tracker Build

Extra parts and custom machine work

Yes and no.

I have the hubs to go with it. Cv's can be had at any parts house (86-95 Toyota) the only thing that is kinda wierd is you have to do the hegan widening mod, which is drilling the rear a arm holes ~1" further out and making the pass side stub axle deal so it has the same 3 bolt flange as the driver side.

I know it's not for everyone, but the Toyota cv's are way bigger and should get more angle.

Yes and no.

I have the hubs to go with it. Cv's can be had at any parts house (86-95 Toyota) the only thing that is kinda wierd is you have to do the hegan widening mod, which is drilling the rear a arm holes ~1" further out and making the pass side stub axle deal so it has the same 3 bolt flange as the driver side.

I know it's not for everyone, but the Toyota cv's are way bigger and should get more angle.
Making the passenger side inner shaft and getting it true is gonna be a fairly tedious task. If I got the correct parts in my hands. All I gotta do is clean them up real good and I have a machinist that can cut it weld it and true it up. My steel diff hasn’t completely come to fruition however. My brother rounded it up, I thought I had it purchased now he’s waffling on me.

Making the passenger side inner shaft and getting it true is gonna be a fairly tedious task. If I got the correct parts in my hands. All I gotta do is clean them up real good and I have a machinist that can cut it weld it and true it up. My steel diff hasn’t completely come to fruition however. My brother rounded it up, I thought I had it purchased now he’s waffling on me.

All the knuckle heads online use a cut off wheel and follow a line stamped in :laughing: its not a driveshaft, so shouldn't vibrate :flipoff2:

Hopefully that Russian drop bracket makes it out of the country before the Ukraine fiasco starts!

Also ordered up a rear spool from Trail Tough. They’re just so slow for shipping.

Do any of you have an exterior mount for carrying a chainsaw? Milwaukee wants $500 for their battery saw. Screw that.

Hopefully that Russian drop bracket makes it out of the country before the Ukraine fiasco starts!

Also ordered up a rear spool from Trail Tough. They’re just so slow for shipping.

Do any of you have an exterior mount for carrying a chainsaw? Milwaukee wants $500 for their battery saw. Screw that.
You need your rear seat?

I forgot if you need to carry your kids in the back?

If not I popped my rear seat out, ran some eye bolta through the floor, and use ratchet straps to hold everything down

Works great for me

You need your rear seat?

I forgot if you need to carry your kids in the back?

If not I popped my rear seat out, ran some eye bolta through the floor, and use ratchet straps to hold everything down

Works great for me

Your cab doesn’t reek like gas?

It might not be for everyone but a cheap $50 110v chainsaw and inverter has gotten me through few trails. It's a ghetto setup for sure but works

I have a small sthil in my 4runner and it's fine, lay it on its side and it's fine.

You guys don't even have real trees out east anyway right? Get a cordless sawzall and a pruning blade :flipoff2:

Not sure that will get through a 30” tree trunk. :flipoff2:

5+ inches today and a useless Tracker in the garage. That drop kit hasn’t left Russia yet...

FE2D567B-F1A7-4840-BD1A-B89E7488B846.jpeg

1. Warranty out the broke CV.
2. Pull the strut spacer out.
3. Party.

Install strut spacer when the drop kit shows up. Only thing you are doing by pulling the strut spacer is limiting down travel. Without the strut spacer the parts store CVs won’t bind.

Reactions: DMG
1. Warranty out the broke CV.
2. Pull the strut spacer out.
3. Party.

Install strut spacer when the drop kit shows up. Only thing you are doing by pulling the strut spacer is limiting down travel. Without the strut spacer the parts store CVs won’t bind.

I have the new axle already installed and the other to go back. I’m just not certain the strut spacer will do it.

Maybe it will. I’m gun shy. :laughing:

Figuring out these CVs is the combination of my buddy breaking 2 in one weekend. And me having mine on jack stands to replace the torn boot OEMs.

We did a weekend of Trackers 2 years ago, buddy broke a CV Friday night, swapped it on the trail. Saturday afternoon broke the spare. We Frankenstein’ the two broke ones together, while it was jacked up we noticed it bind. We pulled his strut spacer, no bind wheeled the rest of the weekend and a few others after with no issue.

These CV's really depend on your driving style.

I think snow driving is much different than what I do.

I would think you are hard on the throttle much of the time where I rarely give it much gas.

Figuring out these CVs is the combination of my buddy breaking 2 in one weekend. And me having mine on jack stands to replace the torn boot OEMs.

We did a weekend of Trackers 2 years ago, buddy broke a CV Friday night, swapped it on the trail. Saturday afternoon broke the spare. We Frankenstein’ the two broke ones together, while it was jacked up we noticed it bind. We pulled his strut spacer, no bind wheeled the rest of the weekend and a few others after with no issue.

Hmmmm...you also said his is a gutless dog. Mine never broke an axle until I got all 4 cylinders. Last one broke on damn near flat ground, so I’m hesitant to test the theory of limiting travel.

These CV's really depend on your driving style.

I think snow driving is much different than what I do.

I would think you are hard on the throttle much of the time where I rarely give it much gas.

Yes, lots of high revs. We have a lot of thaw/freeze cycles so plenty of ice on the trails. I need to get chains.

Diff drop made it from Russia! Maybe I’ll get them installed tonight or tomorrow.

I left the parts Zuk on my buddy’s trailer for the winter. He just text me tonight and said someone else needs to borrow it. Hopefully that Zuk starts. There’s about a foot of snow on it. :laughing:

Well that was easy.

I was ripping in the 18” of snow or whatever in the front yard. No broken axles. :flipoff2:
9518C593-CF82-40BD-B646-8F132B5D753A.jpeg

I do think I might need to tape off and paint white rings around the wheels...or just white altogether.

Glad it helped.

The CV angles def look better after the install.

Yeah, almost stock.

That TEMA 4x4 stuff from Russia is really well built, too. Super fast shipping as well.

I burned up a trail tonight, bouncing side to side in the ruts at about 4k RPM. No issues. This might be my favorite car in the fleet.

Got my spool in.

You guys ever rush to get something done, and then wonder if you remembered to tighten everything? :homer:

Rushed tonight to get it ready for this weekend. I’m PRETTY SURE I tightened the bearing cap bolts and the bolt on the cap lock. PRETTY SURE. But did I?
00F48FF6-82D5-49DD-BF94-C3F7DF43346F.jpeg
57B1AFCD-D04C-4AFD-B885-0164CAFE54A5.jpeg
7B5C7BC9-91FD-453B-9860-413078032FE9.jpeg
B411A725-C8A0-43AC-AF2E-26259B963BFF.jpeg
:laughing:

Yesterday we got hammered with ice, today I woke up to about 6-7 inches of fresh snow.

Dwelled on that third member all night and all morning. This morning drinking coffee before work I convinced myself to tear it all down and check it. Even though, when I go on auto pilot, it’s like muscle memory to go through and re-torque everything.

When I saw my truck buried in snow I said fawk it. Fired up the Geo, backed it out and smashed the throttle on the ice. Figured those bearing caps will come loose and grenade my diff or I put it together right. :lmao:

She runs like butter. 2WD in the snow/ice is a non-issue now. Fawk. It’s a tank! Best investment yet!

Drive to work (I took the dirt roads to avoid morons).
30FDCA56-C75D-4F59-A5C5-72BE799F38BD.jpeg

Yesterday we got hammered with ice, today I woke up to about 6-7 inches of fresh snow.

Dwelled on that third member all night and all morning. This morning drinking coffee before work I convinced myself to tear it all down and check it. Even though, when I go on auto pilot, it’s like muscle memory to go through and re-torque everything.

When I saw my truck buried in snow I said fawk it. Fired up the Geo, backed it out and smashed the throttle on the ice. Figured those bearing caps will come loose and grenade my diff or I put it together right. :lmao:

She runs like butter. 2WD in the snow/ice is a non-issue now. Fawk. It’s a tank! Best investment yet!

Drive to work (I took the dirt roads to avoid morons).
30FDCA56-C75D-4F59-A5C5-72BE799F38BD.jpeg
Yes locking the rear was such an improvement on mine

I wish I had 2 wheel low gear as I would use that and just put it in 4 wheel occasionally when needed.

You will notice tight turning is pretty much gone now.

I am taking mine out tomorrow, been raining here last 2 days so it will be a muddy mess but I expect the Tracker to kick ass.

Yes locking the rear was such an improvement on mine

I wish I had 2 wheel low gear as I would use that and just put it in 4 wheel occasionally when needed.

You will notice tight turning is pretty much gone now.

I am taking mine out tomorrow, been raining here last 2 days so it will be a muddy mess but I expect the Tracker to kick ass.
You could leave your hubs unlocked. OR you could install the Trail Gear/Low Range Offoad twin stick set up and have 2WD low.

I’ve ran lockers before, but never on a short wheelbase, so it should be fun. I know she comes around fast on ice.

Take pics and post them!!!

The wife and I are headed into some rather remote wilderness tomorrow and it’s supposed to be in the teens.

I’m tearing down this rear end tonight and making sure everything is 100% perfect before that trip. It’s about 6 miles hiking uphills to find service if you break down in the bottom of a holler. :laughing:

You could leave your hubs unlocked. OR you could install the Trail Gear/Low Range Offoad twin stick set up and have 2WD low.

I’ve ran lockers before, but never on a short wheelbase, so it should be fun. I know she comes around fast on ice.

Take pics and post them!!!

The wife and I are headed into some rather remote wilderness tomorrow and it’s supposed to be in the teens.

I’m tearing down this rear end tonight and making sure everything is 100% perfect before that trip. It’s about 6 miles hiking uphills to find service if you break down in the bottom of a holler. :laughing:

You dont have a winch on this one, right?

Am I confusing you with someone else as I thought you needed the front roller for a 5k winch recently?

I looked back some on the build and didnt see one.

Make sure you bring recovery gear.

You have seen my setup, which is a cheap ebay TJ bumper with a harbor freight winch on it, works really good.

I think i have about $400 in it.

tracker2.jpg

ah, there it is!

I thought you had the same setup.

snow tracker.jpeg

Stole it off that Zuk I bought. :smokin:

The wife asked what happens if we go in the ditch tomorrow. I said, “We drive or winch out.” Then she asks what if there’s body damage...”It’ll buff out.” :laughing:

Sure glad I double checked my work. I left the cap lock bolts loose and the tabs holding them in were dangling. Whew.

Guess I know when it’s really bugging me I probably done fawked up. :homer:

Top Back Refresh