What's new

1973 Travelall 1010 - Slammed Family Cruiser Build.

woah, that copper cooling coil looks pretty sweet. I see a sticker on there, so I assume you purchased it somewhere? Where did you get it?

I'd love to have some copper cooling to get rid of some water (my water separators only seem to work so well), and I don't have room on a wall anywhere to run a "wall of copper pipes" up and down up and down.

Would love to know how well that works.

It's not actually for air cooling..... It's a drain heat recovery pipe. It's a power pipe brand

High build day! It's been baking in the garage for a couple days. Nice and warm and dry.

photo20239.jpg

They should call this spray able filler. Not high build primer. I started off with literally breaking a stir stick off trying to stir it. A drill mixer on low would have been real nice.

I sprayed 7 quarts. 2 coats everywhere. A 3rd light one on doors/fenders/hood/quarters.

You really need a 2.4 or bigger tip. It was HARD to get it on wet. 3-4" away moving slow and 50% overlap at least. My shoulders hurt.

I need to figure out how to do this roof. Even with a step ladder I can't really reach the middle well.

t's pretty decent. I can see a couple spots, but you have to know where I had trouble.

Except the wheel wells. They are still bad....

Lots of pin holes. Lots of runs.

50261507771_ab89f51fd4_b.jpg

50261507926_4db8a7fe2d_b.jpg

50261507376_2a25546c30_b.jpg

Did I mention orange peel?
50261507386_575acd5f56_b.jpg

EDIT: the big ass copper thing was not any warmer than ambient from my hand feeling it, after 2 hours of continuous running basically.

Last edited:
Nothing like a 30" sanding block to remind you it's not flat.....

photo20438.jpg

Man a 30" block is a quick reminder how NOt flat it really is.... It really does turn gray when its sanded flat. It just really does not show up in the pics.

The hood and this fender are not too bad.

50265995736_665a658d3b_b.jpg

You can kinda see the highs and lows here.

50266172402_5711c924a8_b.jpg

But the hood blocked out pretty well!

50266171767_506a7f0e8f_b.jpg

Front of this fender, not great.

50265995211_a05c5f8695_b.jpg

Adn door made me immediately sad. I quit for the night. The pink really washes the pics out.... Its not great.

50266171482_efd44b6e66_b.jpg

This was all 220, I amy call SPI and see what they think about the epoxy sticking well to 220. Its not very toothy. I may drop to 180.

Thanks for keepin us updated. I see lots of sanding in your future. It'll be a nice ride when finished---Beats spending your time on hookers and blow.

Thanks for keepin us updated. I see lots of sanding in your future. It'll be a nice ride when finished---Beats spending your time on hookers and blow.

Thanks, yeah its gonna be a shoulder killer.

From another forum I am on, the guys helping me learn body work....

NOHOME said:
Coarse makes flat, fine makes shine,

150 till you are flat.​

I repeated this in my head a couple times, and grabbed the 150 after posting that. It definitely cuts it flat quicker. This stuff is sanding out pretty nicely.

Started the rounded soft sanders on the curves. They work pretty nicely. Blew through tto bare metal again though. Think I should hit them wiht the pink stuff or just epoxy over?

50276383643_8d89f0d1db_b.jpg

Curves on the hood ridges looking goo. Need a bit more blocking on the flats.

50277215782_5a15bb3dc3_b.jpg

Initial scuff going most of the way down.

50277061356_3b9a546479_b.jpg

Got a few more hours in this weekend. Guess what, it looks the same in pictures!! And I need a lot more sanding. It looks smooth until you clean it and run a hand over it. Can still feel the orange peel in lots of places.

My low spots are also still low. They weren't bad enough for me to want to hit them with filler, I was just trying to get the orange peel out, but i hit metal pretty good in a couple spots around them. Glazing putty maybe? Also found some pin holes I missed.

Fist order of business was clean the damn garage. When I don't have enough time things just get checked on the floor inside the man door....

50479668733_2c334fdbe4_b.jpg

Back to sanding, crank the tunes, get to work.

Drivers side is 95% done. I need to hit the edges of the body lines (was just sanding up to them) and the stupid detail stuff around the windows that takes forever.

50480531557_9306d76711_b.jpg

Pass side needs a lot of work. Its getting there but still have lots of peel. Blocked all the way to filler until i hit metal on the front fender.

50479667163_a9a34c65c3_b.jpg

Hood has the low spots I hit metal good around. But otherwise is also 95%

50479667673_0d83a56e92_b.jpg

Roof sucks. I just cant reach the middle. And lots of low spots... Not sure what to do there. I am afraid glazing putty will flash bad under paint.

50480532292_23fc553e53_b.jpg

Know anyone with a topside creeper? I’ve seen some pretty tall ones that would put you right over the roof.

Know anyone with a topside creeper? I’ve seen some pretty tall ones that would put you right over the roof.

That's a great idea! I don't know anyone off hand, but ill ask around!

In the late 90s we were doing the electrical on remodel and sitting out back was an Interantional Traveler, of course we had to go out and look after a bit my brother looked over and said this better equipped than my late model Surburban, one feature I remember was the rotating front bucket seats. My eldest niece fell in love with it, till we started showing her all the rust problems, and explained to her the 392 was a truck engine and her fuel miliage in such a vehicle would be in gallons per mile. She ended up with my dad's 68 F-100, drove the wheels off of it.

In the late 90s we were doing the electrical on remodel and sitting out back was an Interantional Traveler, of course we had to go out and look after a bit my brother looked over and said this better equipped than my late model Surburban, one feature I remember was the rotating front bucket seats. My eldest niece fell in love with it, till we started showing her all the rust problems, and explained to her the 392 was a truck engine and her fuel miliage in such a vehicle would be in gallons per mile. She ended up with my dad's 68 F-100, drove the wheels off of it.

No bucket seats in mine, but I was happy this one is so rust free. They aren't known for rust resistance :laughing:it being stripped made it pretty easy to see if It had issues.

Lookin good so far. As for the roof how about 2 six foot step ladders one on each side and span some sort of walk board across so you could get to the unsanded area? Wax on wax off.

Lookin good so far. As for the roof how about 2 six foot step ladders one on each side and span some sort of walk board across so you could get to the unsanded area? Wax on wax off.

That's a possibility. I need more headroom though!

Got a good three hours of sanding in this weekend. Sanding sucks, but it felt good to work on it again.

Roof has some dents. Its gonna be white, leave them alone at this point? the whole roof is pretty floppy and not very flat to start with. I am leaning towards leave it.

50872043233_33e51c7b05_b.jpg

These door frame stampings are a bitch. So curvy and not at all flat. I am just going at it with a soft sander. The block just hits the edges.

50872849067_cbafdcf244_b.jpg

Overall shot of the side I am working. All the curvy spots need some touch up with the soft sander, but the majority of the flat blocking is done. Still need to do window frames.....

50872746716_37ae93b118_b.jpg

And I couldn't resist hitting it with some panel prep. There is a little wave above the wheel well it looks like, but I am ok with that. Pretty damn happy with how that looks for having exactly ZERO body work experience before this.
50872746901_93cbb629da_b.jpg

50872747156_04afaa3d6c_b.jpg

50872746901_93cbb629da_b.jpg

Top Back Refresh