What's new

08 Tacoma SAS/LS swap

Got the universal charcoal filter mounted. So car, no fumes coming from that that I can tell. I accidentally ordered rubber lined fuel hoses instead of the PTFE lined ones again so I think I am getting some fuel smells from those lines (garage smells like gas when truck is in it overnight now). I'll just leave it outside for now until I can narrow that down

IMG_2151.JPG

Big past two weeks.

• 4.56 gears and Grizzly locker installed (rear only, front will be done later)
  • All brake lines made and ran (the tee on the axle is leaking, new one incoming)
  • Started new shock mounts on frame. The previous ones were too close to the tires for my liking
  • Transmission rebuilt, new torque converter in, new trans pan with temp bung installed, driveshaft in
  • Pinion angle set and welded in along with lower shock mounts
  • Trans lines made and installed
  • new grill

So another new brake Tee incoming along with a flex trans dipstick, then fill the trans and rebleed the brakes and we will be movin. Then I will finish the upper shock mounts

IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2308.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG

Last edited:
What a week. The brake lines were still being a nightmare so I ended up ditching the rear hard lines and brass tee and threw on some braided lines with a -3 tee. The rear brakes were finally not leaking.

Had to replace the master because it was also leaking. Got that in and bled the brakes and proceeded to drive around the yard where everything felt good, and just as I was finally ready for the neighborhood road test drive, the pedal went to the floor. Everything looked fine so I pulled the master off the booster and the pushrod extension was gone. It broke off the end of the booster pushrod when it fell out. So now I had to replace the booster and make a new pushrod extension :mad:

After spending way more on the brake system than I'd like to admit, I finally have a truck that moves and stops on its own. The brakes feel good so far, but still need to be broken in along with other things. Got the trans to shift through the gears and got the truck up to about 40 with no issues so far. Time to start to plan a tune session on the dyno.

Broken pushrod in the Tundra booster
IMG_2333.JPG

This is how I pulled out the extension. The tip of the stock pushrod barely stuck in the end of the extension which caused the extension to kind of "buckle" when the pedal was pushed which caused it to get wedged sideways, which in essence sheared the end of the pushrod off and they fell into the booster. Very glad this happened in my backyard.

IMG_2334.JPG

New extension I made up. The sleeve captures all of the booster pushrod which prevents things from wanting to get pushed sideways and bound up. The pedal now feels just like it should with no chance of the extension falling off again
IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

New brake lines. Zipties are temporary and everything will be better mounted soon.

IMG_2336.JPG

Winch Solenoid mounted on the old battery spot and winch rope spooled onto the winch. And fuck I hate Factor 55 shit, sticks out like a sore dick and requires a shackle to use it for anything. The stupid thing is spliced into the winch rope so I am just going to buy another rope that has a regular hook on it.

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

JB Custom shifter is in its final spot. I hate installing cable shifters but the outcome is always worth it as they shift as smooth as possible. A leather shift boot is in the works already. I will have to make a little bracket to keep the shift cable off of the transmission shift rod but that should be all it needs. I also finished the trans shifter itself under the truck by adding a 5/16" heim to it can move and rotate freely. Everything clears underneath, even though the picture might not appear that way

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

Did you install the factory bumper over the top of your tube bumper?

Top Back Refresh