What's new

08 Tacoma SAS/LS swap

Current spending spree has ended. Going to work on some other things for the next bit until extra money comes back around, but I bought a ton of stuff to get the motor closer to being done. New 145 amp alternator, steering pump and pulley, salvage yard fuel rail and injectors, and salvage yard Vortec engine cover (my favorite piece cause I am a weirdo), and AC Delco belt all installed over the last couple of weeks. All sensors have been GM genuine or AC Delco to keep everyone happy.

Got the core support TIG'd back in so I can start to figure out radiator stuff. Threw the a/c condenser back in to get an idea of what I had to work with and it looks like I am limited to about a 32"x 16"-18" radiator. Summit has one that I think will work. I also think that I will have to run dual fans instead of one big ass electric one like I had hoped. The tit that hangs off the front of the water pump for the stock fan sticks out further than I want it to so it makes the fan situation happen. Gotta get a radiator sooner than later....

IMG_7552.JPG

IMG_7590.JPG

Hated the first two versions of the transmission crossmembers that I built so I started from scratch, starting at the frame with the factory mounts hacked off. No need to notch this crossmember for front shaft clearance. I am adding the original t-case skid that I made back on this one and doing a removable transmission skid. FUCK dropping the entire crossmember just to drop the trans pan

IMG_7702.JPG

IMG_7703.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

Happened to buy back the old 14" shocks off my old Tacoma from my buddy who was building a one ton runner but never finished it, so I was able to finally get the towers I built a few months back welded on. The axle mounts aren't on yet, still gotta roll the axle down to set pinion angle and weld in perches.... gotta wait to get the SYE and rear shaft made before that stuff happens... but progress is progress

IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7755.JPG

Started on a front bumper. I was really set on running the factory plastic bumper and I was going to do some tube work underneath/behind it, so the factory bumper could be removed, exposing a functional and good looking tube bumper, but after much thought and asking others what they think I should do, I started to build a dedicated tube bumper. I may make it more of a hybrid style but at least I've got the bare bones of it started.

IMG_7750.JPG

IMG_7747.JPG
IMG_7749.JPG

Last edited:
What I came up with for the bumper... definitely different than anything I have built before but I dig it. The top is going to get a plate except where the winch is so the clutch can be used. I completely forgot about recovery points so those will be added directly to that front crossmember. It will also get some light tabs after I decide what cheap ass lights I will be running. May add a small stinger, but I am undecided. I'll look up some bumpers with them to see what they look like.

IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG

cool build for sure like the drive train ideas,

just saw a vid on the you tube big tire garage ian johnson was explaining why he likes the 99-04 SD axles. very good vid i thought.
Can you link that video? I remember seeing it a while back and I’ve been trying to find it again to refresh myself. I know he likes the 99-04 but I can’t remember why other than price.

I'm running the exact same tank on my crawler. Good choice.
oh nice! Question for you then... do you have the 3 or 4 tube sending unit? I have the 4 and wondering how you had the other two ports ran (one is 3/4" and the other is 1/4")? I can run both into the factory filler neck but not sure if my gas cap is vented, and if its not, then should I run the 1/4" one in a loop and up to a filter as a vent?

oh nice! Question for you then... do you have the 3 or 4 tube sending unit? I have the 4 and wondering how you had the other two ports ran (one is 3/4" and the other is 1/4")? I can run both into the factory filler neck but not sure if my gas cap is vented, and if its not, then should I run the 1/4" one in a loop and up to a filter as a vent?
1/4 is for a charcoal canister for the evap system. I would recommend keeping that hooked up if you can. You need somewhere for the expansion in the tank due to heat.

The 3/4 is the vent line for the filler neck.

Gas caps are not vented. They have a one way valve to allow air in. Do not vent the tank to atmosphere. Leaving it open to atmosphere is bad in general. The moisture in the atmosphere will make gas go bad, and it gives the tank a pathway to leak if you are at aggressive angles.

1/4 is for a charcoal canister for the evap system. I would recommend keeping that hooked up if you can. You need somewhere for the expansion in the tank due to heat.

The 3/4 is the vent line for the filler neck.

Gas caps are not vented. They have a one way valve to allow air in. Do not vent the tank to atmosphere. Leaving it open to atmosphere is bad in general. The moisture in the atmosphere will make gas go bad, and it gives the tank a pathway to leak if you are at aggressive angles.
Thanks for the info. My factory fuel neck has a 1/4" nipple that went somewhere before, so I'll cap that off or TIG it shut and then run the 3/4" hose from factory fuel neck to blazer sender.

Kind of thought that about the vent, and of course I tossed the charcoal stuff when I stripped the truck :shaking:. I'll come up with something for that... junkyard charcoal canister off something... something will get scabbed together

Knocked out the y-pipe this weekend, all 2.5" 304 Stainless. It actually went easier than I was expecting, especially being the first time I've ever tackled a project like this. Straight cuts and no gaps is key!

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

Bumper done and painted. I forgot to take a pic of the top plates that were added

IMG_0120.JPG

Great build. I like it alot. Idk if I missed this, what are you planning for engine management?

Great build. I like it alot. Idk if I missed this, what are you planning for engine management?
Holley Terminator X Max. Kinda worried about their availability issues. I probably should have ordered it months ago when I had that money set aside, but my engine builder went ghost and never confirmed which part number I needed so I spent the money on other things :homer:

My only other option is to get a new harness and run a factory ecu

Been slacking lately but also working out of town every week for the last 3 months :shaking:

Anyhow, bought some things like radiator and fans, built my own shroud out of some .090" aluminum, and addressing things I put off originally.

• added a tube to tie the front hangers together and to the 4x2 crossmember
  • mocked up and welded in front shock brackets. Those are 10" shocks in the pic for mock-up, ordering 12s eventually
  • picked up some really nice 2012 Tacoma buckets to replace the disgusting bench seat
  • Taylor plug wires
  • heater hose ran (needs clamps still)
  • Redline hood struts

Radiator mounting is my next hurdle. In the pic below, you can see how my steering box is all in the way, so I am having to push the radiator forward to clear it. This means the core support is getting chopped up and the condenser is moving forward as well. It'll be a few weeks before I get that figured out and done.

I also have changed my mind and am going to run an entire BP Automotive swap kit... brand new harness, flashed ECM, throttle pedal, and o2 sensors. Cheaper than a Terminator and will be in here in a week, rather than 9 months if I am lucky. I plan on ordering that in the next 2 weeks. I'm not adding any power adders so the Terminator will be a little overkill anyway imo.

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

Last edited:
Knocked out the y-pipe this weekend, all 2.5" 304 Stainless. It actually went easier than I was expecting, especially being the first time I've ever tackled a project like this. Straight cuts and no gaps is key!

dang nicely done. did you back purge?

dang nicely done. did you back purge?
I did, but I welded it so cold that it didn't even get complete penetration. But, at least no sugar, and most of the shit like this that I see welded isn't even purged at all. Should hold though

Got the shroud made up and the radiator halfway mounted. I need to come up with a way to secure the top of the radiator and then rebuild the core support. The factory hood latch will still work once the support is tied in and strengthened. The condenser, a nice sized trans cooler, and power steering cooler are going to be stuffed up there as well once all said and done.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

Pulled the case to throw in a Tom Woods SYE and a new chain/seals, and while I was doing that I finished welding the crossmember and trans mount, painted it, and threw it back in. I still have to drop all this shit again to build the trans and install the flexplate but at least I can finally set the rear pinion angle, get a shaft ordered, and get the traction bar brackets in progress.

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Core support about 85% done, but I'm counting that as a victory. It still needs at least two vertical tie-ins, one directly under the latch and then another (or even three total) that the transmission cooler and power steering cooler will mount to. I am going to wait to do that when I get the coolers so I can mount them and the vertical supports exactly where I want them.

I ended up moving the radiator about 5/8" further back toward the motor and about 1/2" higher than where I originally had the mounts at. The final condenser location required the move.... which also required me to notch some of the ribbing on the underneath of the hood so the radiator cap would clear. No biggie though....

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

Haven't had a lot of extra money lately for this thing, so working on shit that is either extremely cheap or free/already possessed. Center console is in progress... .090 alum, holds two big ass yeti cup sizes, and will have plenty of storage inside after a lid and such is made. Getting a little better at the aluminum and sheet metal stuff...

welds will be polished down and then it is getting powder coated either a textured gray to match the interior, or textured black.

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

The core support is done. I'll probably have to add a little bit more once I get the trans cooler ordered for it to mount to, but I'll worry about that later. Planning on the 40k trans cooler and then a 20" tube and fin cooler for the power steering which will mount under the radiator.

Still aiming to have it drivable by the end of the year, so I am going to make a list of absolute necessities to get this thing at least able to move under its own power safely in the yard. This list is going to be expensive...

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

Top Back Refresh