What's new

'05+ Ford Super Duty Dana 60 Axle Tech & Info

Organization of this thread sucks. Do all the 250/350 unit bearings interchange between the knuckle difference in 12/13 up?
2005-2022 looks like after that it’s different part number. Should change the name of this thread to be a bit more accurate and exclude the latest generation of axles.

Organization of this thread sucks. Do all the 250/350 unit bearings interchange between the knuckle difference in 12/13 up?

What unit bearings do you need to crossover?

99-04 only fit 99-04, the 4 bolt flange pattern aka bolt circle on the knuckle is smaller than the later ones. I believe 2005 to 2023 is the same 4 bolt flange/bolt circle.

2024 up I don’t know yet. Rangerrod beat me to it

I think that 2022+ knuckles will fit the 05-21 UBs, but you have to use the matching outer shafts.

2005-2022 looks like after that it’s different part number. Should change the name of this thread to be a bit more accurate and exclude the latest generation of axles.
What unit bearings do you need to crossover?

99-04 only fit 99-04, the 4 bolt flange pattern aka bolt circle on the knuckle is smaller than the later ones. I believe 2005 to 2023 is the same 4 bolt flange/bolt circle.

2024 up I don’t know yet. Rangerrod beat me to it

Just needed to verify the 12/13 up were same as 05-11. Rock auto showed different timkin numbers for the year so it was throwing me off.
Also, pretty sure this was covered somewhere in the 40 pages of this thread but I couldn't find it. I appreciate the replies!

Correct, 2011+ hubs have tone rings already on them and will swap onto 99+ sterling axles, I have some on an 08 rear axle. They are 55 tooth tone rings. IF you rung 2011+ front unit bearings, they will also have the same tooth count. I am running this setup on a jk and it works well, just needed a slight adjustment to the tire size in the tuner to compensate and make the speedometer read perfect.
Looks like a tone ring change

Stupid question of the day ive always wondered and never asked.

Unit bearings. Do I really need timken to play?

While I understand timken is the OE bearing but what about the unit itself. Don't really need high mileage worthy bearings when a few thousand miles is probably all the rig will see in its lifetime. Also don't want to shatter the unit because they're junk.

Buggy is blowing budget but not trying to cut corners or waste money.

Anyone running off brand unit bearings without issue?

While I understand timken is the OE bearing but what about the unit itself. Don't really need high mileage worthy bearings when a few thousand miles is probably all the rig will see in its lifetime. Also don't want to shatter the unit because they're junk.

Not 05 up specific here, I run Timken on my 99-04 setup and a buddy has been running Mevotechs for the same timeframe with no issues. Neither are DD's, and mine has probably 3000 street miles and 20ish days of wheeling trips on em. He doesn't have the amount of street miles I do, but has just as much wheeling on em. I carry Mevotechs for spares based off his experience.

Mevotech is what bkor sells and are junk for sure. They don't last very long with 40-43" tires.

Mevotech is what bkor sells and are junk for sure. They don't last very long with 40-43" tires.
Ballpark on "don't last long". I normally wouldn't care and just buy the timken but I need 4. Considering buying 4 mevotech or a little better brand and then replace with timken as they crap the bed.

Just don't want crapping the bed to be first 2-3 trips out.:lmao:

Ballpark on "don't last long". I normally wouldn't care and just buy the timken but I need 4. Considering buying 4 mevotech or a little better brand and then replace with timken as they crap the bed.

Just don't want crapping the bed to be first 2-3 trips out.:lmao:
Or all 4 at the same time :laughing:

Interesting. Not sure rig specs, but as I mentioned in an earlier post we've had good luck with Mevotech. This is on a 1 tonned JKU on 40's, v6 power. been through at least 4 trips locally, and 6 days of abuse in Moab with no issues. UB;s have actually survived through 3 broken axleshafts and 4 broken locking hubs lol. Just had them off the rig for me to bore them out for 35 spline and the still felt great. Granted these are 99-04 versions, so it is possible that the 05 up ones are entirely different from a quality perspective.

I bought Moog on eBay....but if you look around, you can likely find a pair of Timken for less. I did. Like $270 for a pair of Timkens. The only advantage I can see to the Moogs (3 year warranty BTW...same as Timken) is that they come with the 4 mounting studs.

Just make sure you're looking at 2005+.

Interesting. Not sure rig specs, but as I mentioned in an earlier post we've had good luck with Mevotech. This is on a 1 tonned JKU on 40's, v6 power. been through at least 4 trips locally, and 6 days of abuse in Moab with no issues. UB;s have actually survived through 3 broken axleshafts and 4 broken locking hubs lol. Just had them off the rig for me to bore them out for 35 spline and the still felt great. Granted these are 99-04 versions, so it is possible that the 05 up ones are entirely different from a quality perspective.
5k lb buggy, all 4 went out basically at same time. Maybe 1 year of run time so 15ish trips.

I had poor luck with the cheaper bearings, didn't even get one year out of a set with DD/ wheeling on 37s. I'm a cheap ass and have had GREAT luck scoring good condition Timken bearing at the junkyard. find a wore out company truck, almost always have a set of Timkens in em! $30-40 a pop and have lasted about 3 years of the same DD/wheeling abuse, and are still going strong! so if I wasn't so poor I would buy these new and forget about them. :beer:

Sky offroad has redrilled timkens for 365ea with 9/16 stud and they are lightened.

Don’t skimp, run Timkens. Others are garbage.

Sky offroad has redrilled timkens for 365ea with 9/16 stud and they are lightened.

I'd rather have the extra pound from all four unit bearings and have the flexibility to swap 8x6.5 and 8x170 if necessary.

We needed that to get a guy off Holy Cross this year. Shredded a sidewall with no spare. He had dual pattern '05 unit bearings and one of the guys with us had an 8x170 spare. It saved a long trip to the trailer in Buena Vista to get his spare.

I've been running Timken unit bearings with zero issues for 4 years. Approximately 14,000 miles of rock crawling and street use. LJ on 40's.

Top Back Refresh