What's new

05 2500 SAS, The Red Rocket

I got a wild hair today and pulled the trigger on ARB lockers for the 14 bolt and the 60 after finding a killer deal on the Irate parts store. I decided to just do it because of how much I plan on driving this thing. I had purchased the lunch box lockers a few years and a few jobs ago when money was tight.

A19BA9FC-B7E8-47DC-AB30-D43D4673F94C.jpeg

Any chance I could see how tight the upper link driveshaft and exhaust are?

I’m accumulating parts for putting an 05 super60 under my 05 2500 avalanche and want to squeeze long tubes in if I can fit em

It touches at full bump. I could re route it and make it not touch but unless I have a major bump failure it won’t be an issue

Any chance I could see how tight the upper link driveshaft and exhaust are?

I’m accumulating parts for putting an 05 super60 under my 05 2500 avalanche and want to squeeze long tubes in if I can fit em

if i remember correctly he has the facotry manifolds and then goes straight down out of them. idk if long tubes are even an option if you want the up travel he has.

hes right, I'm using factory manifolds and then I built the rest of the driver side exhaust to bend down around the front of the oil pan.

Thank you for those pics, much appreciated

Not much to update, I've been chipping away at the ARB install for about an hour each night after work. I realized that I some how misplaced the 14b side adjuster retainer clips and bolts as well as a bunch of other hardware when I moved all my stuff from my moms garage to my house two years ago. I ordered up new brake backing plates, retainer clips and bolts, grade 9 axle bolts and grade 8 bolts for the pinion support. Hopefully I'll be able to get things together and run a pattern in the next few days.

I went the other direction and made a temp brace out of the old allison to 263 upper brace from merchant automotive that I removed when swapping tcases. Here is a picture of the original brace. This is a temporary solution until I decide on the doubler combo I want. Then Ill do a rear lower support brace as well.
Click image for larger version Name:	brace.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	193634

I promise this isn't dead yet. I've been pretty lazy with the truck and the holidays have kept me pretty busy. I got the ARB put in the 14b along with new wheel bearings and hub seals. I topped it off with new backing plates and parking brake shoes. I hope to get the 271 brace and cross member finished up around new years. Next I'll be pulling the D60 to drop the ARB in and install some upper and lower ball joint eliminators.

199AD052-A7B6-478F-851C-83C45EC20CA3.jpeg
4E145E0C-EDAB-4AC3-9E98-DD8A1B6BF862.jpeg
BA44DF4D-4F4A-4CDF-A7B5-AA2048DE855B.jpeg
Upper and lower Ball joint eliminators from American iron off-road installed. Tomorrow I hope to get the shafts and drive flanges back in then the front axle is officially done.

It might be a while. They seem to have great reviews on the Facebook page for the company. They went together pretty easy and straightforward. I went with their “race series” kit that has adjustable preload on the uppers. I chose American iron off-road because they use an FK uniball instead of a bronze bushing and they offer lower kits as well. Time will tell how they hold up but replacement uniballs are only $35.

I should mention that what really pushed me into pulling the trigger on the eliminators is that I found a bent upper ball joint while disassembling the outers. That and all the videos of people breaking shafts and popping the knuckle off.
9D8A0C73-1DBF-49C2-8D1C-41E743A9B875.jpeg

What length cables did you get for your triple shifter? I am ordering a set from JB Customs for an ORD magnum box to 205 and don’t want to get it wrong. Measuring wise I was thinking the 48” as I am mounting my shifters just like you.

What length cables did you get for your triple shifter? I am ordering a set from JB Customs for an ORD magnum box to 205 and don’t want to get it wrong. Measuring wise I was thinking the 48” as I am mounting my shifters just like you.

48” for the JB sticks, 8’ for the winters shifter

Thank you and the support bracket is looking good. I was going to do the same thing before deciding to sell the 273 and use the magnum/205.

Hindsight being 20/20 I should have probably just paid up and ordered an atlas and saved my self all the trouble but here we are. I originally picked the 271 because I got it for like $200 and it didn’t need rebuilt. I did have to pay my buddy a little bit to put the speed sensor in but I’m less than $500 for the 271 installed. The magnum/205 is a killer setup and I’m sure you will like it

I talked with AA and he told me to avoid an Atlas with the weight of my truck combined with the Duramax. This is what pushed me to the 273 originally.l, after Jacob from Behemoth took my money and ran. Then I called again two weeks ago and brought it up again. Another engineer from Advanced Adapters gain told me to avoid an Atlas. I then talked with ORD and settled on a Magnum/205.

Starting the final assembly on the front end. The front should be on its own weight tonight for the first time in a couple years. While doing a final clearance check with all the bolts tight I took a measurement of my steering angle. Here’s what 55 degrees of steering looks like. Everything clears with the tires on even at full flex.

91ACB2C3-E777-428D-BE10-D58BC65931D8.jpeg

Truck is looking great. I like how you have packaged the front bump/CO and so on. My CO mount is over the axle tube and bump mount ended up inboard and limits up travel. Some ideas stolen from last pic..

I’m not crazy about the lower coilover mount being tied to the inner C but it’s also tied to the lower arm mount. I’m confident that it will be just fine and it allowed me to run a 12” coilover without being sky high.

Top Back Refresh