What's new

05 2500 SAS, The Red Rocket

Very small update here. After discussing my leak between the 4l80E and the Ecobox with DMANbluesfreak I decided to do what he did and put a steel plate in between them for the gaskets to seal on. He was nice enough to share his dxf file with me that he used which i greatly appreciate. After a little messing around on sendcutsend.com I now have 2 plates on the way for $32. I hope to finally move the truck into the shop for the winter when I get my next set of days off starting the 30th.

Random question for ya. Are you going use the stock wiper fluid reservoir or a different one to accommodate the tire at full bump and lock?

Random question for ya. Are you going use the stock wiper fluid reservoir or a different one to accommodate the tire at full bump and lock?

I've got some universal tanks I got from US plastics that I'm going to use. The tires now occupy that space.

I've got some universal tanks I got from US plastics that I'm going to use. The tires now occupy that space.
Gotcha. I just lowered my truck and now the 37s want occupy that area as well. I’ll check out that company for a potential swap. Thanks

I'm just going to take the one off my old rig. It came from a square body Chevy and is pretty much a rectangle. Problem is capacity, but it's small enough to fit almost anywhere. It may even go behind my cab if the pump will push fluid that far with enough pressure to spray it on the windshield.

I added a washer bottle to my SXS and realized a small Tank really isn’t that big deal. Just have to throw an extra jug in the toolbox. That’s why I want to use the factory level sensor.

I added a washer bottle to my SXS and realized a small Tank really isn’t that big deal. Just have to throw an extra jug in the toolbox. That’s why I want to use the factory level sensor.
It never really bothered me on the trail. I just like to use a whole gallon at a time:laughing:
I was able to use the factory level sensor in mine, i just put a hole the correct size near the bottom and it works pretty amazing.

An actual update for the first time in a long time.
Got the truck fired up for the first time in about a year, jumped the battery and it lit right up. Pulled it out into the driveway and washed all the grinder dust off of it. Move it into the new shop for the winter where I can chip away at it.
D12FE691-05EE-405E-8EBA-A3C4ED15E8A1.jpeg

Today after replacing a drag link for a buddy I got to work pulling the transfer case and doubler. Here you can see where the gasket got marked and where there’s no way it will seal up.
0AA4DD05-C917-4CEF-9823-5A463C427FD6.jpeg

I’m happy to report the plates I got cut fit perfectly and should solve this problem. I managed to loose the extra gaskets I had so I ordered some more. Hopefully I’ll get it all back together before I go back to work next week.

I’ll mention this. It’s super aggravating that NWF doesn’t just send that plate with their kit. When I spoke with them after seeing the issue sDman had, they told me “if it leaks, put RTV in there”

Thanks for updates. Let us know how those plates workout for you. I got the same answer of use RTV on the mating surfaces.

Nice shop! Is that a Rogue Bender? How do like it? I just received mine yesterday, and waiting to build it.

Thanks for updates. Let us know how those plates workout for you. I got the same answer of use RTV on the mating surfaces.

Nice shop! Is that a Rogue Bender? How do like it? I just received mine yesterday, and waiting to build it.
It is a rogue bender. It’s old though. Probably from about 2014. I’ve only used it a hand full of times but I’m happy with it.

I had an extra plate cut incase I screwed one up if you need one. $15 plus whatever shipping costs.

It is a rogue bender. It’s old though. Probably from about 2014. I’ve only used it a hand full of times but I’m happy with it.

I had an extra plate cut incase I screwed one up if you need one. $15 plus whatever shipping costs.
I’ll take that plate. PM your PayPal address. Thanks

Got a chance to slap the doubler back in this morning. I picked up a few of the Felpro gaskets that seem to be much better than whatever knock off gasket brand I used before. Everyone say a prayer for me in hopes that it doesn’t leak.

E622BD01-A5D1-4FBD-82BD-D116857AE7D2.jpeg

2841C94D-675A-46A7-9EFE-67CEE5E155EB.jpeg

once all that was put together I put the rear on pipe stands and leveled the frame to get an idea on how tall it was actually going to be. I’ve got some wiggle room to lower the front about 2 inches if I want to. Even a little progress is still progress.

8C56A65E-F5E5-4632-B355-8277959537E3.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D66D887-F966-4C31-8FF6-5EC46F657288.jpeg
    8D66D887-F966-4C31-8FF6-5EC46F657288.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Checked under the truck and everything is dry so I’m just pretty excited about that. Messed around a little bit sorting out all the wires and lines in the back of the truck trying to get a plan for the big chop. Went to Harbor Freight and got the new off-road jack which I highly recommend now. Stuck a rear tire on so I could just look at it.
31790F22-792C-4B79-B9A8-31F92081E2CD.jpeg

F79815C8-8050-4FFC-A8A4-9101E530E184.jpeg

I’ll mention this. It’s super aggravating that NWF doesn’t just send that plate with their kit. When I spoke with them after seeing the issue sDman had, they told me “if it leaks, put RTV in there”
What plate are you talking about?

Weird. And they say you either need to do that or get lucky with RTV? Is this a 4l80 only problem?

yeah. its a 4l80E thing. they have a fluid passage that goes into the tail shaft housing and you have to run a gasket between that and the transfer case.

How do you like the badlands jack? I kind of need to upgrade my floor jack, and the 29" height is appealing. does it work well as a daily use floor jack?
What is the max height without the extension, or how tall is the extension?

No real updates, the truck tired right up and moved out of the shop. I did some cleaning and pulled my buddies ram charger in to help him get it finished up. Nothing like pushing your own project off for someone else’s.
72056967999__5799A1DD-7E52-4E6E-A7D7-5C88C79563F7.jpeg

72099288228__66CF5C14-7468-4904-8AB2-A0A5825D8C88.jpeg

72100673531__210F0652-EBBB-4785-B225-B7D9272B3FCA.jpeg

The ram charger is getting a spicy 360, Holley sniper and a suspension drop. It’s a retirement gift for his dad that we have been working on for a while. It won’t be too wild. We just want to make it a solid weekend driver.

I would say "boooo" but can't really because i just did almost the same thing:laughing:
Hope you can get back on it soon! There can't be much left at this point...

There’s plenty left lol. I did snag a set of factory electric fans with the wiring harness today from the junk yard for $30 so that’s a win. I was out there gathering up some odds and ends for the ram charger.

have not touched the truck at all. spent lots of time working on my daily driver prepping for the cross country trip. KOH was dope and may have lit a little bit of a fire in me to work on it again. need to get the damn ram charger out of the garage.

Top Back Refresh