What's new

02 Dakota QuadCab 4x360x40s

Your pretty close.. My Dakota was 6100lb fully loaded with tools, gear, my daughter and me. This next round of work I'm gonna be pushing 6500 maybe more loaded with family.

Horray! Took the Dak back out to the Ram Off Road Park for its last-and-final heat-soak test, and the newly re-designed fuel system passed with flying colors - no fuel system/pressure/vapor-locking issues at all 👍 .

The surge tank is now located under the bed -

9dwZXXZ.jpg

So, the main tank supplies low-pressure fuel to a surge tank, and the surge tank contains the fuel for the high-pressure EFI system. The main tank supplies fuel to the surge tank via a basic low-pressure 4.5 gph/30 psi fuel pump, and that return side now has a simple but very effective 'sight gauge' (a 5/16 fuel filter), which...if it's full then so is the surge tank, which is exactly what I want. If it's not full then neither is the surge tank, and that's bad, so the little fuel filter is my quick-visual-reference to ensure 'all is well'. The angle with the below pic is without the shield in place to protect the surge tank and plumbing from rocks and road debris, and I can 'peek' at the filter between the cab and bed - works awesome.

mVigrOw.jpg

All the fuel lines are now 5/16". The two high-pressure fuel lines are now the only fuel lines going up into the engine bay, and both lines are double insulated - first with DEI 3/8 Vapor Lock insulation wrap, and then again with 1/2 heat sleeve, all secured in place with clamps and plastic blocks to keep the lines away from the frame and firewall (a black cutting board works great for making 'spacers', btw) -

aqsaFJw.jpg

TzLYTsT.jpg

t0SKnrt.jpg

v6vkd1M.jpg

FUUe2rc.jpg

uKV692k.jpg

xxA8abN.jpg

MmDzQHk.jpg

And it wasn't just me out at RORP - at 0730 that morning I'm out at the barn loading up the Dak and I hear "Hi Dad" coming from my 5yr-old :) - she wandered out and found me, and asked 'what are you doing'?, and I said I'm taking the truck out to the off-road park for a test, and she asked 'can I go with you'?, and I thought about it and said 'sure'!...but as I thought about it some more I thought...maybe we can all go - asked the wife and sure enough we packed up everyone in both the Dak and the wife's new trail machine; we just picked up a really nice 08 Wrangler JKU, and between it an the Dak we were able to very comfortably bring the whole family, including the 5, 3, and 2 yr-old's, and we all had a genuine blast. The 2 and 3 yr-old's rode with mom in her new Jeep, and the oldest rode with me in the Dak, and it was the very first time the whole family wheeled a trail together...and I gotta say it was absolutely delightful :) . The whole point of being in this silly sport has always been to have the whole family infected...I mean influenced by extraordinary fun that comes from this silly sport, and so far the evil plan is working! :)

Sadly, one of our club members owned/built up this JKU, and he had very tragically passed away, and long story short his Jeep became available, and as it turns out we were simply at the right place at the right time, and we were able to pick up the Jeep at a good price. I am really happy that I don't have to spend years building it up - it's already 'there', and it is nearly exactly what we would have built for the wife, and she loves it. It's an '08 JKU, not a Rubicon (no loss there), with a Dynatrac ProRock 44 front and a ProRock 60 rear (with 5.13s...and ARBs - yuck...), on 37s, and a full host of armor. We're intending to swap out the ARB's for Grizzlys asap, but other than a base unit GMRS radio that'll probably about the only thing we'll change...potentially for a long time. Meanwhile, pics -

RhPX0gU.jpg

Bl84jY4.jpg

fU5ldRL.jpg

ljDyTgC.jpg

72yn4G0.jpg

Last edited:
doors are on...and the electric windows go up and down n everything, even after 15 minutes of ignition-on - I can be dry and warm - woot! 👍 :)

RBIp22w.jpg

Door locks and mirrors aren't working but that may be 'fuses' - hey one miracle at a time! :)

Attachments

• RBIp22w.jpg
    RBIp22w.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
dak looking sick. is that a reflexxion steel hood? i want it

price on jeep?

...we got it for a good price, and I knew the guy that owned it and the guy that set up the diffs 👍

dak looking sick. is that a reflexxion steel hood? i want it

...yes it is, and no you can't :flipoff2: I had a helluva time finding it - actually bought it off an otherwise complete truck a guy was parting out - would have probably bought the whole truck just for the hood...

...yes it is, and no you can't :flipoff2: I had a helluva time finding it - actually bought it off an otherwise complete truck a guy was parting out - would have probably bought the whole truck just for the hood...

I have one, but it has a small dent and has never been painted, 20 yeats of surface rust :homer: would love another one.

Good on you.

...been getting lots of small stuff done, including the uber-reinforced belly cradle extension (specifically designed to protect the Atlas) 12v power port works, and the HVAC works! - hot/cold, defroster/vent/footwells, fan speed - all work normally even after 15 minutes of running 👍 .

Just a quick trip gas station to fill it back up and it's ready to load for next weeks big gig 👍

The lowest part of the whole truck is a single piece of 1/2" plate steel...which 'should' be strong enough to support the truck in the event of it slamming down or teeter-totting on it...I hope...

vwQoAF8.jpg

6fDrjWL.jpg

eFQnUfp.jpg

lxbSgGX.jpg

the trip to New Mexico for Chili Challenge was great! The truck did well, nothing broke, and I learned a lot. The biggest thing I learned is that for the technical rock crawling I like to do there are vehicles much better suited (and much less custom) for such things than a big Dakota, and while it is running well I may eventually take all the goodies from it and drop it all in a gutted JKU. I have a lot of work yet to do just to get the Dak to 'fully-functional' condition, and I am contemplating putting that time to better use by building up a primitive and effective JKU with the Dakota's guts. I like the truck, but after looking at several Jeeps and comparing everything to the Dak well it's no surprise my mind wandered all over the place thinking about it all.

I'd typically say that "Nothing will happen any time soon" but I know myself better than that, so I won't, and in the meantime here's an update on the truck. The redesigned fuel system and Sniper EFI performed flawlessly - never missed a single beat. The tip-in with the 2bbl Sniper is perfect for technical rock crawling. The suspension and axles all worked great. The steering has an intermittent issue I can't figure out, and if I change anything I'll for sure go back to high-steer...or full hydro, but otherwise it worked great. Brakes are great. Essentially all of the critical systems are working great...and I still have no idea how to make 'all' of the rest of the systems work like they're supposed to (and I get heart palpitations just thinking about it), especially the lights and wipers...which I have to have...and transplanting everything into a big Jeep would probably be less work than trying to get the Dakota to work normally without bypassing everything and making a stand-alone wiring harness anyway...not to mention the body work to make it at least look decent...and then it would still be a 6500-lb monster with big heavy everything that should still have another 1000 lbs of roll cage that is nearly impossible to fix if it flops over and cracks the cab. Sorry but no thanks.

I was thinking I'd build up our 94 GC, but that ship has sailed. If I were to build up a new machine for rock crawling it would be a gutted JKU with the Dakota's guts, and I'd fab up a very simple dash just like I did for Bud and drop in a super simple heater - no power windows or doors, no a/c, a much MUCH simpler machine that is very simple to 'understand' and maintain - essentially a bigger badder version of my dad's M-38, which also has a lot to do with my current thinking. I'd enjoy all of the bolt-on greatness available for the JKUs, and essentially have a very primitive and effective Jeep on 40's.

That said if'n anyone knows of a semi-stripped JKU with a blown engine and axles, no dash, and has a title, well let me know. In the meanwhile I'm just gonna wheel the Dakota until I get good n ready to change things up, and here are some pics from the event, including scoring a 940 on the RTI ramp :) .

ry1wi68.jpg

nnDak30.jpg

37WfyxP.jpg

wLL9ueV.jpg

MzF93p1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh boy. Surprised to hear after you have packaged 18lbs into a 5lb bag

but simple and minimal is lighter and easier.

...it's real good as it is...it's just that in the...(holy shit) - almost 5 years...since beginning all this ridiculousness my wants have changed from 'hard core camping machine' to simple-minded off-road trail thrasher... - meh it's all good. It'll be tough to find a suitable JKU so I'll wheel the Dak likely for a long while...and I don't hate it, so I'll just have fun with it as-is and see what happens from here.

Last edited:
Stoked to see it out and working.

I have had the same thoughts of ditching the dakota for something simpler, then I take it onto the trail and being the only guy not in a jeep or toyota is fun, get lots of attention.

On mine, I gutted everything behind the dash, went to simple summit style heater to ditch the vacuum actuated hvac stuff. For the wiring, I didn't weed anything from the harness but I made it removable and took almost 24" out of it so I can easily pull front fenders for maintenance/troubleshooting/replacement. ECM is behind dash and nothing mounted in the engine bay so very simple and not cluttered. Non-oem radiator and efan mounted separate from core support, gas tank right behind cab perpendicular to frame and raised gives lots of clearance. All lights headlights/tailights/etc on a harness I made so ditched the mess of factory wiring that ran everywhere to keep troubleshooting simple. I have never weighed it but without the bed and frame chop it seem lighter than other full cab rigs I wheel with.

NorcalDakota,
I agree with the wiring mess. I just moved my fusebox around and cleaned the harness up some. It's a mess.. the only thing I really dislike about my Dakota. But it's so damn comfortable to drive and wheel. Plus have a family of 4-5 (host exchange students) and snow wheeling. Jeeps just don't cut it..
I really want to LS swap with a stripped down harness, and do a custom dash with a new wiring harness done my way..

we just got a pretty decent and already-built 08 JKU for the wife, and it's really growing on me. I'm gonna take it to a trail soon and see if it is as good as I'm afraid it's gonna be. I'll admit I have enjoyed being the guy in a 'unique' machine and all that...but the constant anxiety of hoping it isn't too long and doesn't get stuck and all that...man that really adds up. I don' t need a bed anymore, and that alone has had a significant influence on my future plans, plus I loved how primitive the last monster truck I had was, and I'd like that from a 4-door something that is a bit shorter and much much more disposable...unfortunately all the JKUs I've found are apparently made of pure gold...at least that's what the prices for them seem to indicate.

Last edited:
Think about how awesome it will be to have a Jeep with a dash full of kid's bath toys.

Yeah. Think about that...

:flipoff2:

...the ducks...? - not really gettin' that but whatever :)

If you buy a Jeep, you will get ducks eventually. There are too many of them out there to avoid it forever.

So, cool, unique Dakota...

or

Put on your uniform and fall in line.

:flipoff2:

...the odds are I won't find a suitable JKU anyway so that's not a big worry...and I'll report back if I get a duck in the Dak...:flipoff2:

Maybe a little sheep or lamb? :laughing:

It's easy to find a nice Jeep. They are all over the place and it seems, at least from the dealership perspective, that a lot of Jeep owners buy one and then the "cool" wears off and they trade it in a year or two on a more conventional SUV or truck. The hard part is finding one that isn't made of solid gold under all the paint, because people are convinced that they are worth about a 1/3 more than they actually should be. I wanted a Gladiator Rubi for a while and I am so glad I didn't pull the trigger on that one. I'm sure if someone gave me one for free, that I would love it. But I would never be happy making that payment for what I got. Just my .02

we just got a pretty decent and already-built 08 JKU for the wife, and it's really growing on me. I'm gonna take it to a trail soon and see if it is as good as I'm afraid it's gonna be. I'll admit I have enjoyed being the guy in a 'unique' machine and all that...but the constant anxiety of hoping it isn't too long and doesn't get stuck and all that...man that really adds up. I don' t need a bed anymore, and that alone has had a significant influence on my future plans, plus I loved how primitive the last monster truck I had was, and I'd like that from a 4-door something that is a bit shorter and much much more disposable...unfortunately all the JKUs I've found are apparently made of pure gold...at least that's what the prices for them seem to indicate.
Fuck that. Everybody has a jeep. You included. Comparable Jeep side by side vs the Dak - Dak wins every time.

Don’t strip the Dak - Just build another Jeep

a Dak definitely does not win every time compared to a similarly built JKU - about the only thing a Dakota is is bigger, heavier, more difficult/complex to maintain... - being different is cool n all but it ain't that cool...

Last edited:
Sad to see it go but if it doesn't fit what you need why not sell it after buttoning up a few things and just use the cash towards the next project? If your axles and such were a bolt in for a jeep I could see swapping them out or something but it just seems like the truck loses all value once its broken down past say keeping the wheels and tires and selling it on rollers. Either way can't wait to see what you get into next here.

well nothing's going anywhere anytime soon...and I may change my mind anyway :) . Don't get me wrong - I don't hate the truck, and if I find a suitable Jeep carcass then maybe, but until then I'm wheeling this thing more or less as-is - about the only thing I wanna upgrade is to full hydro...

Last edited:
A one tonned JKU weighs in at about 6200lbs usually, more if swapping to a V8. If you stripped the body and safety features out of it you could save some weight, but don't make the assumption that they are light.

Any thoughts on just shortening your wheelbase some? Jeep tub on top of dakota chassis?

If your goals have changed (Hardcore broverlander to trail rig) consider the things you can do to the Dak to bridge the gap.

examples since not my time or money:
Weight loss plan - less armor, interior, ect
ditch the bed, bob frame and build a light weight platform for spare + beer cooler
Simplify exhaust, remove 2nd fuel tank.
Gut OEM wiring and other electrical systems replace with aftermarket harness.
Move up to 43s

Yeah, could go classic truggy and scoot the axle up against the cab and tube the back. 👍

y'all make good points and I appreciate all of it. Here's what I'm thinkin': the truck isn't broken, and I don't have enough schlitz in me to reconstruct anything...so...I'm just gonna press on and work in some of the finishing touches that I want to make it 'road-worthy' like turn signals, head/tail lights, etc,...and it does wheel well so I'm just gonna wheel it as-is without any major reconstruction...and if I find a suitable JKU tub I'll probably pick it up and make a project out of it with the kids and probably (but not certainly) transplant all the awesome guts from the Dak over to the Jeep...and it'll end up being about 10-times stronger and more 'everything' than my Dad's M-38...and I'll call it the M-380 :smokin: .

Top Back Refresh