What's new

“Brophy Jeep” Street Legal Ultra4 4500 class CJ6

Sadly this is the most up to date of the build!! I will keep adding pictures as I get updates but they will not be as often. Thanks everyone for following along and chatting it up. If you have question or want more detailed pictures let me know!
IMG_3226.jpeg

Hey bud! I dunno how I missed this one. Easier to follow on here and compare notes as I go through my cj-6 build as well. Good to see you over here.

Hey bud! I dunno how I missed this one. Easier to follow on here and compare notes as I go through my cj-6 build as well. Good to see you over here.
That’s why I prefer Instagram over Facebook for social media. Not sure how you missed it either. I think I’ve posted so much in here it been on the first page if not top of first page that whole time! 😂

Nice. Got a link to your build on here.

Last edited:

Is it safe to assume you will be putting a big ass skid plate under the steering box to protect it and the pitman arm from the rocks?
We will see how the Winch mount shapes up. They will likely be tied in as the winch will be kicked back at the same angle of the grill and it will be in between the frame rails and in a tray. Please see advanced PAD (pencil aided design) drawling!!
IMG_9333.jpeg

Last edited:
I might me or the camera angle but, does the inside tire turn waaaaaay more than the outside tire?
Your eyes are good. It has a good amount of positive Ackerman angle. The “outside” tire is designed to hit the steering stop while the inside tire can turn more. All cars have positive Ackerman it’s what keep the front from scrubbing while turning. As you turn the outside and inside tires are on different radius’s. If there was zero Ackerman the inside tire would scrub.
In the old day! LMAO when spidertrax first introduced the 60* 1550 stuff we ran negative Ackerman where the outside tire ran 60* and the inside closer to 50* this was because the tire would not clear the lower links in most cases. The “scrub didn’t matter because we were going so slow and the outside tire typically had more weight load and helped turn the car especially in front dogs!!
Different Motorsport disciplines actually use different Ackerman angles. Formula 1 is slightly negative Ackerman and drifting typically is slightly positive or zero (think shopping cart! Who has drifted a shopping cart?) hahahahah
Regular road cars and most everything else has paid it be Ackerman. The picture shown is zero Ackerman

IMG_9865.png

These are the mock up wheels and tires (39”x13.50” BFG kralwers on 17”x9” Hutchinson 4.75”BS. The actual race wheels and tire will be 37”x12.5” BFG krawlers on 17” Trail Ready 3.5”BS so they should clear by a mile.
F1099529-5BD5-4208-B9A7-4222E3E0D2C9.jpeg

Your eyes are good. It has a good amount of positive Ackerman angle. The “outside” tire is designed to hit the steering stop while the inside tire can turn more. All cars have positive Ackerman it’s what keep the front from scrubbing while turning. As you turn the outside and inside tires are on different radius’s. If there was zero Ackerman the inside tire would scrub.
In the old day! LMAO when spidertrax first introduced the 60* 1550 stuff we ran negative Ackerman where the outside tire ran 60* and the inside closer to 50* this was because the tire would not clear the lower links in most cases. The “scrub didn’t matter because we were going so slow and the outside tire typically had more weight load and helped turn the car especially in front dogs!!
Different Motorsport disciplines actually use different Ackerman angles. Formula 1 is slightly negative Ackerman and drifting typically is slightly positive or zero (think shopping cart! Who has drifted a shopping cart?) hahahahah
Regular road cars and most everything else has paid it be Ackerman. The picture shown is zero Ackerman

IMG_9865.png

I have a little grasp on Ackermann. The pic without tires looked crazy, your pic below looks more "sane?":flipoff2:

F1099529-5BD5-4208-B9A7-4222E3E0D2C9.jpg

I built what I've always called 100% Ackermann into my pile of shit. Because I'll be driving it on the street and don't want to sound like a drifter pulling into the good spots at the mall.:smokin:

Look close at the F1 pic................he's turning the steering wheel left.:eek:

Your build is looking fantastic:beer:

Top Back Refresh