What's new

“Brophy Jeep” Street Legal Ultra4 4500 class CJ6

Looking awesome! I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Street legal should be you can have lots of fun with it. How up to date is this thread? ;)
Thank you. I can’t wait to see how it turns out too. Hahaha this thread is only a few months into the build but I’ll keep feeding the pictures here and there. I’m just doing 10,000ft view of the phases. The other thread was 13 pages.

Started building the upper cage area and rear shock mounts. This is kinda where we started calling a Brophy jeep. lol. I wanted to build big dumb race car rear upper shock mounts!! lol. Doing cage work alone is a pain in the ass but you get resourceful and learn that good enough is good enough cause it’s nearly impossible to get perfection. Bitch ain’t perfectly square but she’ll do!!

I MIG welded the rig because everyone said it would never work and I was not going to rig weld the whole chassis and everything. It’s funny because a lot of major desert manufacturers are MIg welding stuff now. I used 0.035” ER70 solid core wire and 75/25
Mix gas. The small plate work I use 0.025” wire to control bead size and heat in the piece.

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpeg
    IMG_2413.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2384.jpeg
    IMG_2384.jpeg
    736.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    942.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2373.jpeg
    IMG_2373.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2356.jpeg
    IMG_2356.jpeg
    990.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2318.jpeg
    IMG_2318.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2259.jpeg
    IMG_2259.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2244.jpeg
    IMG_2244.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
Sub'd and cool build! Are you planning to race it in 4500 sometime or just building with their rules in mind just in case you get a wild hair/need for speed?

Sub'd and cool build! Are you planning to race it in 4500 sometime or just building with their rules in mind just in case you get a wild hair/need for speed?
Thank you. This all started as a cool multipurpose trail rig that would be quick enough in the desert to not get left behind in the desert. It quickly evolved/devolved as I realized the performance compromises I needed to make for what I wanted. So my buddy just said “quit fucking around and build a 4500 buggy and skin it!” So that’s how that went. I have always had a desire to race KOH I pitted for jason scherer, jason Blanton, Randy Slawson and a few others that needed help for a number of years and even Co-drove in 4800 2018 & 2019 with a DNF both years unfortunately. I do have a desire to race this Jeep but I might be able to afford 1-2 years. My goal is top 10 as I don’t have the car or budget to push for a podium. The plan is to finish the Jeep and wheel it for a season or 2 to shake all
The bugs out then do a full year down prep and race it. Some might call me an adventure seeker to race without the goal of first place but I’m not a retard and dilutional! lol I will try and run a fast smooth day and let attrition thin the field. One thing I’ve learned if you can’t win if you don’t finish.

Last edited:
Thank you. This all started as a cool multipurpose trail rig that would be quick enough in the desert to not get left behind in the desert. It quickly evolved/devolved as I realized the performance compromises I needed to make for what I wanted. So my buddy just said “quit fucking around and build a 4500 buggy and skin it!” So that’s how that went. I have always had a desire to race KOH I pitted for jason scherer, jason Blanton, Randy Slawson and a few others that needed help for a number of years and even Co-drove in 4800 2018 & 2019 with a DNF both years unfortunately. I do have a desire to race this Jeep but I might be able to afford 1-2 years. My goal is top 10 as I don’t have the car or budget to push for a podium. The plan is to finish the Jeep and wheel it for a season or 2 to shake all
The bugs out then do a full year down prep and race it. Some might call me an adventure seeker to race without the goal of first place but I’m not a retard and dilutional! lol I will try and run a fast smooth day and let attrition thin the field. One thing I’ve learned if you can’t win if you don’t finish.
Sounds like a plan all around.

"To finish first, first you must finish..." Miles "Badass" Hasselquist

Thank you I wish I could tell you it was my idea or I was the first but I stole the idea from Larry Minor. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I was going to do and Mike shaffer showed me Larry Minor dune Jeep. I did not really like it at first but form follows function.
IMG_9379.jpeg
Those Larry Minor Dune Jeeps look a lot better in person than they do in pictures. I think it'll look good enough to attract the classier lot lizards. :flipoff2:

Welcome bondo and glad to see you didn't end up selling this. So you're going to hit the trails this summer finally?

Jimbo

I took a break from the upper roll cage to build the fuel cell mount. Disclaimer: I know it’s way overbuilt and heavy but. With the tank being where it is it’s still stronger and lighter than 3/16” or 1/4” plate.

Cool note I machined the bushings myself out of 6061 aluminum. For now that the final product and until it gives me a good reason to use a poly or derlin bushing I won’t replace it.

Attachments

• C7F3DDF6-AFEA-4024-8CFF-BD8FD436916F.jpeg
    C7F3DDF6-AFEA-4024-8CFF-BD8FD436916F.jpeg
    886.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2571.jpeg
    IMG_2571.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2589.jpeg
    IMG_2589.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2590.jpeg
    IMG_2590.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2593.jpeg
    IMG_2593.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2614.jpeg
    IMG_2614.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2615.jpeg
    IMG_2615.jpeg
    766.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
Rockchump because im not the sharpest crayon in the box, this is all the old build thread pics and stuff? if it is, what time frame we looking at?

Rockchump because im not the sharpest crayon in the box, this is all the old build thread pics and stuff? if it is, what time frame we looking at?
Started may 2013 moved shops may 2015 so there was a 8month hiatus and that last picture of the B-Pillar W is may 2016. I pulled it out of the shop July 2016. I worked on this after hours and weekends. I had plenty of time to get it done but I second guessed myself and had executive disfunction where I could not make a decision and spend whole nights staring at it trying to game 20 steps ahead so I didn’t work myself into a hole. I was so afraid of doing the wrong thing and having to cut it apart I would have times with no progress and once I was confident I would slam out a ton of work. Lack of full builds and I wanted to do it on my own (very little. Help from Mike Shaffer) it was going to be a culmination of my years of experience and in a sense it was and proved I needed more experience! lol

I like it. Always loved CJ6's :beer:
Funny enough the avalanche engineering CJ6 that made me fall in love with the CJ6 in the late 90’s as a teen getting into off-roading. It was actually just a stretched CJ5. lol I used to have bone stock 1971 with 225 and Meyer hard top too. I just sold it last summer.
IMG_3231.jpeg

Funny enough the avalanche engineering CJ6 that made me fall in love with the CJ6 in the late 90’s as a teen getting into off-roading. It was actually just a stretched CJ5. lol I used to have bone stock 1971 with 225 and Meyer hard top too. I just sold it last summer.
Was it purple with orange tube work?

Started may 2013 moved shops may 2015 so there was a 8month hiatus and that last picture of the B-Pillar W is may 2016. I pulled it out of the shop July 2016. I worked on this after hours and weekends. I had plenty of time to get it done but I second guessed myself and had executive disfunction where I could not make a decision and spend whole nights staring at it trying to game 20 steps ahead so I didn’t work myself into a hole. I was so afraid of doing the wrong thing and having to cut it apart I would have times with no progress and once I was confident I would slam out a ton of work. Lack of full builds and I wanted to do it on my own (very little. Help from Mike Shaffer) it was going to be a culmination of my years of experience and in a sense it was and proved I needed more experience! lol
Cool to read through the history of the build/time table. Nothing like "Analysis Paralysis" getting in the way of productivity!

I’ve been feeding bits and pieces but here is the money shot!!! Here is where I got to stand back and just bask in her glory!! I fall in love with this thing every time I look at it. And this is when it finally started looking like a Jeep!! That’s ride height 6”-6.5” front up travel and 8”-9” rear up travel. I purposely gave the rear more up travel.
IMG_3333.jpeg

I like it!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. This was all done while you were at Shauffers?

Its funny to see the JEEP stamp in the side. The E's are so defined where as the later ones are not!

IMG_3231.jpeg
:smokin:

I like it!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. This was all done while you were at Shauffers?

Its funny to see the JEEP stamp in the side. The E's are so defined where as the later ones are not!
Yeah I’ll post the picture oh how it looked when it left Shaffer’s. At this point all I got done in that time frame was mount the seats and do the front axle truss steering and track bar. But we will get to that soon.

Good to see that you found this place and you are making progress Bondo!
I want to give credit where credit is due!! After I do some hand sketches of my frame! TechTim and his kid drew it in Cad for me and I was able to send that cad file to R&I industries and they sent me a proper pallet of laser cut box tube!! I went ahead and made weld spacers to weld out link mounts with 0.030” bigger to account for shrinkage!!

Attachments

• IMG_5106.jpeg
    IMG_5106.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5056.jpeg
    IMG_5056.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Top Back Refresh