What's new

“Brophy Jeep” Street Legal Ultra4 4500 class CJ6

Rockchump

They call me Bondo
Member Number
Loc
East Bay / Colfax NorCal
Hi! My name is Orlando but most people know me by Bondo.

There has been a build thread going on another site for over decade I’ve been updating periodically as I work on this thing off and on.

I was told that I should just start a new thread here so here I am! My first post. I used to be very active on pirate from the late 90’s and after the crash in early 2000’s all the way up until 2015. I did competitive rock crawling in 3 western series in the early and mid 2000’s until 2011 when my father passed suddenly. I have done desert racing in Baja and United States as well. Co drove a few US races in class 10. Drove and codrove V2R 2015 for 3rd in 1600. In 2014 I drove and co drove the Baja 1000 and 2022 I co drove the Baja 1000 again.

This project started life as a 1965 CJ6 and quickly morphed into a Jeep Skinned Chromoly Tube Chassis based off the King of the Hammers 4500 Class rules. I thsatred this build in 2013 and took a 6 month break to help move shops for the buddy I was building it in. Then in mid 2015 my mother got ill and I parked it in storage and for 8 years. I brought it out to finish it in 2023. It’s currently at a shop in Temecula getting finished. When will it be done your guess is as good as mine. I’ll make some post summing some phases of the build. Up until now I build everything myself. Engine and trans wo
IMG_2047.jpeg
rk have been done by good friends of mine.

Once the frame was designed and built I built the suspension. (Originally it was going to not be 4500class rules and it was going to be a trailing arm. So that’s why it bushing and outside the frame).

IMG_7328.jpeg

Attachments

• DD7A1861-AE5F-43F0-BC36-1CE766AF5158.jpeg
    DD7A1861-AE5F-43F0-BC36-1CE766AF5158.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2399.jpeg
    IMG_2399.jpeg
    8.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 523112C7-2FA5-4CCB-98D0-D35F3EBBCBC2.jpeg
    523112C7-2FA5-4CCB-98D0-D35F3EBBCBC2.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Here is a parts breakdown before I get too deep with pictures.

Chassis & Suspension
109”-110” wheelbase
81” overall width wit 39” tires and 4.75” BS Hutchinson wheels
Roughly 83” overall width with the 37” tires and 3.5” trail ready wheels
2”,1.75”&1.5” .120” wall 4130 chromoly
2”x4”x.188” wall box tube 1020
1/8” & 3/16” 4130 plate
Lower Links and front upper are 2”x.25” Heat treated 4130 w/ 1.25” FK rod ends
Rear uppers are 1.75” x .120” heat treated 4130 chromoly with 7/8” FK rod ends.
Track bar 1.75”x1.88” heat treated 4130 chromoly

Fuel System
Customized 32gal Jaz Jeepspeed fuel cell
Radium drop in FST that has one AEM stealth 340LPH lift pump and dual AEM stealth 340LPH high pressure pumps in a built in surge tank.

Steering
PSC 4500 class legal steering with ProAm filtered resivoir large high flows cooler

Axles
DynatracProRock HP60 5.13 gears and 35 spline Detroits.
65”F & 63”R
Bought the axles from a buddy going through divorce. It was never intended to be a race car it just quickly evolved maybe some day down the road if I break rear R&P I’ll pony up for Fab’d 10” stuff

Engine
LS2 block w/ LS3 heads & Intake
Cam and tuning from Josh West propertuningOG
ARP hardware and rebuild done by Chris Borowick
This engine was temporarily put in my drift car after I blew the LS1 up. It made 405WHP and was amazing from idle to redline.
2WD 4L80E w/ 2400rpm billet lock up converter. Trans freshening done by David Pfeiffer
ATLAS II 3.8 with 32spline outputs. This was ordered prior to race cases and we will see how it holds up.

Shocks
2.5” X14” ADS coil overs and 5 tube Bypasses
2” hydraulic bumps ordered through Phil @ liberty 🗽 Mountain FAB

Wheels & Tires
37” Blue Label BFG Krawlers on Trail ready wheels for race
39” Blue label Krawlers on Hutchinson double bead locks for trail and mock up.

Interior
PRP seats Comp High Back Podium ostrich dual zone seat heaters for hammers and snow wheeling
9” or 12” Lowrance HDS Elite GPS I have both but will see which one fits best on the passenger side & 5” HDS for the driver side.
B&M gated shifter (feels superior to the winters/art Carr)
Rugged radio Variable Parker Pumper
Kartek Gas and dead pedals
CNC brake and 2 in 2 out hand brake to lock up front or rear wheels

Not sure which dash or ECU at this time but it’s likely going to be Emtron KV8 and dual ECU master PMU 16’s just like my drift car. Josh West from FTA inc will Wire and tune it for me.

Cooling
Custom radiator and engine and trans and steering coolers will be built by Igor at Triton Race Coolers. Yes the same company that built the fun haver broncos and a bunch of awesome Ultra4 and desert racing cars. All Products

Thank you for reading that.

Last edited:
This thing is rad, definitely following along. Was that a Meyers metal cab? Is it done for, or going to be able to put it back on? Ended up finding one for my CJ, pretty cool units

This thing is rad, definitely following along. Was that a Meyers metal cab? Is it done for, or going to be able to put it back on? Ended up finding one for my CJ, pretty cool units
The Jeep is not done. It’s in Temecula at a buddy or a buddy’s shop getting finished.
That is a Meyers hard top. I’m on the fence if I’m going to make it fit since I would need to cut and stretch it. I had a 1971 cj6 that was all stock with the same cab that I sold almost a year ago. I want to build a resto mod for running around town and light wheeling with waggy 44 and 35”x10.50” tire on a deaver SUA leafs. Simple.

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9079.jpeg
    IMG_9079.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 20
I bought a Meyer cj5 top that the sides were destroyed but the actual top was mint to stretch it. But I might save it for a more stock build later. It’s just disassembled in my storage unit. This will end up with. 8” tub stretch after it’s all said and done. I don’t want to give away too much.

Last edited:
So funny thing, the one I found was a CJ6 meyers top that I shortened to put on the CJ5 :laughing:. I think I might still have those detachable side panels if you have a use for them. Too bad I didn't save the strip I cut out of the roof section haha, could have made your life easy for extending it. I appreciate the idea for a run around town rig as well, that's the plan for mine.

So funny thing, the one I found was a CJ6 meyers top that I shortened to put on the CJ5 :laughing:. I think I might still have those detachable side panels if you have a use for them. Too bad I didn't save the strip I cut out of the roof section haha, could have made your life easy for extending it. I appreciate the idea for a run around town rig as well, that's the plan for mine.
It’s funny how that works out. I’m in NorCal and between my house in the bay and my house in colfax. If you still have those panels it might be helpful. That strip would have been perfect if you had it. lol.

The motor was mounted with 7075 head mounts and 1/8” 4130 mid plate and Trans mount using the same bushings and mounting width so that stress on the drivetrain lid lessened. Here are some close up of the front lower shock mounts.
Trans mount had through holes to use a socket or use a box wrench to check from the side windows.
IMG_9377.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9490.jpeg
    IMG_9490.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9491.jpeg
    IMG_9491.jpeg
    980.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9336.jpeg
    IMG_9336.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6255.jpeg
    IMG_6255.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7476.jpeg
    IMG_7476.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Started with the first layer of cage work. Now this was intended to be a 3 seater but once I started building it was clear it would be too tight. So I’m going upholster it for my dog and extra camping gear. I plan on trail wheeling this a lot since it will be street legal and my new place is 40 min from fordyce.
IMG_2174.jpeg

Jealous of the rolled square tube! I tried to do that with a little HF roller and it was a painfully slow failure in the end lol This thing is lookin sick!

Jealous of the rolled square tube! I tried to do that with a little HF roller and it was a painfully slow failure in the end lol This thing is lookin sick!
Thank you!! You are a much more ambitious man than me!! lol I google ornamental iron companies and for $50 and 30 rack they rolled material I brought on their big machine. It took some time to tune them to be equal. They have a slight ellipse to them.

Last edited:
Rolled fender square tube is pretty cool/unique!
Thank you I wish I could tell you it was my idea or I was the first but I stole the idea from Larry Minor. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I was going to do and Mike shaffer showed me Larry Minor dune Jeep. I did not really like it at first but form follows function.
IMG_9379.jpeg

I also Stole the slanted grill from my buddy Jason Scherer. I pitted for him in 2009 when he Won KOH and just love this car!! It’s functional and out of necessity due to radiator sizes needed and mounting constraints! This car and Eric Miller cars are some of my favor Jeep based buggies.

Attachments

• IMG_9310.jpeg
    IMG_9310.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9311.jpeg
    IMG_9311.jpeg
    563.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9312.png
    IMG_9312.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9313.jpeg
    IMG_9313.jpeg
    677.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9301.jpeg
    IMG_9301.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9314.jpeg
    IMG_9314.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9309.jpeg
    IMG_9309.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 35
The Jeep is not done. It’s in Temecula at a buddy or a buddy’s shop getting finished.
That is a Meyers hard top. I’m on the fence if I’m going to make it fit since I would need to cut and stretch it. I had a 1971 cj6 that was all stock with the same cab that I sold almost a year ago. I want to build a resto mod for running around town and light wheeling with waggy 44 and 35”x10.50” tire on a deaver SUA leafs. Simple.
What shop? I am in the Temecula area.

Looking awesome! I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Street legal should be you can have lots of fun with it. How up to date is this thread? ;)

Top Back Refresh