What's new

Will 2nd Gen Ram2500 Rear D60 Spindle Clear a 1.5" Shaft?

Sean

Member Number
1994-2002 Dodge Ram 2500s with the V8 came with D60 rears apparently. I'd assume these are the 30 spline 1.31" diameter shafts and not the 35 spline 1.5" shafts most of us would want.

So the question is: Is the spindle bore large enough to just swap in 1.5" shafts if you're already in there changing gears and carrier to 35 spline?

I'm thinking of possibly swapping in 6.17 gears for a project and while I have a Dana 70U already, it may be far cheaper for me to buy another complete boneyard D60 and convert it to 35 spline stuff since I already have the locker/master install for a 60 and don't need the added strength a 10.5" 70 would provide.

Those should be the 1.4" 32 spline with the bigger spindles that allow 35 spline shafts.

You mean the D70U right? Or do you mean the 2nd Gen RAM2500s had 32 spline 1.41" shafts in the D60s?

Thank you SO MUCH for finding that. I searched but didn't find the answer.

From the linked thread: "And before anyone else says it, no I do not have to bore my spindles to fit 35 spline shafts. The inside diameter of the spindle is 1.56" as measured by a caliper."

Also, it appears this guy's rear D60 was the 1.31" 30 spline variety.

94-02 Ram 2500 with either 5.2 or 5.9 gas V8 came with D60 rear. D70 behind V10 or diesel auto, D80 with manual trans behind V10 or diesel. 3500s alllll are D80 regardless of engine/trans combos, and all are dually.

I know some claimed some ram 2500 diesel or v10 with auto came with d80 from factory but I never seen one myself.

94-02 Ram 2500 with either 5.2 or 5.9 gas V8 came with D60 rear. D70 behind V10 or diesel auto, D80 with manual trans behind V10 or diesel. 3500s alllll are D80 regardless of engine/trans combos, and all are dually.

I know some claimed some ram 2500 diesel or v10 with auto came with d80 from factory but I never seen one myself.
Yeah, that was my understanding as well....though I remember reading that the D80s are "hybrids"....like a Dana 80 center with 70 shafts or something. I have one in my '02 Cummins but have never pulled a shaft to confirm.

I have it on good account the hub/spindle ends are the same for this era dodge, regardless if D60, 70 or 80 (SRW).

Yes, I don't think 37 will fit through the spindle that holds an 8x6.5 hub.
It typically fits on a SRW, with the 2.25" ID inner journal. The DRW is usually thicker wall and needs the spindle bored.

It typically fits on a SRW, with the 2.25" ID inner journal. The DRW is usually thicker wall and needs the spindle bored.
Yes, I don't think 37 will fit through the spindle that holds an 8x6.5 hub.
Makes sense that Dodge might make the D80 smaller OD 35 spline if the shafts are the same length for the SRW and DRW then....same shafts regardless of dually or not. That said, I wouldn't think the shafts are the same length, but I suppose they could be.

Seems like the easier/smarter thing would have been to just make all the D80s take 37 spline stuff....but I guess the bean counters probably figured they'd save a bunch of money doing it this way.

Makes sense that Dodge might make the D80 smaller OD 35 spline if the shafts are the same length for the SRW and DRW then....same shafts regardless of dually or not. That said, I wouldn't think the shafts are the same length, but I suppose they could be.

Seems like the easier/smarter thing would have been to just make all the D80s take 37 spline stuff....but I guess the bean counters probably figured they'd save a bunch of money doing it this way.

SRW and C&C have the same shaft lengths. DRW pickup shafts are longer.

As for factory 37 spline.... probably to do with the 4.63, 4.88, 5.xx gearing used in the class 4-5 trucks. These use bigger journal'ed spindles. A thin wall '1ton' dually spindle likely doesn't uphold the required GAWR.

Yeah, that was my understanding as well....though I remember reading that the D80s are "hybrids"....like a Dana 80 center with 70 shafts or something. I have one in my '02 Cummins but have never pulled a shaft to confirm.

Dodge used the same spindle on all its shit during that era (hence why OP's D60 is already big enough for 35spl shafts that you'd find stock on a D80).

I wanna wring the neck of whatever mouth breathing yokel came up with the D70/80 "hybrid" name. It just leads to a bunch of unnecessary confusion. Nobody calls a D60 out of a Ford van a "D70 hybrid" even though it has the same wheel end as the D70 you'd get out of the DRW equivalent. Fucking idiots.

I’ll like to add some more dodge tech to this.

My 97 Ram 2500 diesel came with D70. It was on its second D70, and kinda a third after I put it on life support (threw in a set of new carrier bearings).

I rebuilt a D80 & bolted it in, and reused drum backing plates & drums. Brakes 100% a direct swap from D70 to D80. Literally simply unbolt loaded drum backing plates, with e-brake cables still attached, set them aside, axles swapped, bolted them to D80. Made for an easy axle swap.

My friend's 1996 2500 ECSB 5.9 Magnum V8 truck with NV4500 and NP241DLD accepted Yukon 35 spline axles in the rear D60 with zero clearance issue to the center section whatsoever.

Top Back Refresh