What's new

Why not much love for Power Wagon?

You on PWR? The guy that makes them sells them on there.

I got the gen locker bypass. Think it was the first one the original designer sold after a couple prototypes. I love it. 2wd lock gets used a lot. Goes through factory switch also.
Yea I am over there too. Doesn’t seem too active. I talked to the guy that makes them, just haven’t pulled the trigger.

Yea I am over there too. Doesn’t seem too active. I talked to the guy that makes them, just haven’t pulled the trigger.
Yeah super dead nowadays. A shame really, used to be a lot of guys modding their trucks and sharing info.

Well I am a big fan. Perfect truck for me. Bought mine new in 05 and it now has 96k. Only thing replaced so far was the passenger side manifold due to a exhaust leak. Wheels great if you have the room and I also towed a 24 foot travel trailer with it for 13 seasons before I sold the camper. I simply love it.

Attachments

• power wagon car crusher 2.jpg
    power wagon car crusher 2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 17
I missed the blue six speed manual regular cab I posted above because I dragged my feet. This one is an auto that I am seriously considering but it has some cancer unlike the blue one I posted above

65k on this one but double or triple that being a plow truck
2AE6FA73-1074-47F0-9F35-E232BB5CFCB3.jpeg

Gave Black Betty a thorough workout the past couple weekends.

IMG_20220314_141715(1).jpg

Blew a tire on way back from Hot Springs

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg

imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

Gotta finish up some work the first half of this week and then prep for trip to moab.

I'm towing jeep out but will wheel the PW at least 2 days. Diff service, new diff covers, water pump, and tighten up steering box on the PW to do list.

been thinking about getting rid of my mildly built '01 Ram 1500 ( Eaton Elocker front, 4.56s, Detroit locker rear, stock axles, upgraded rebuilt transmission after heavy towing destroyed it, very tired 360 magnum at 180k) and getting into a '14 PW. This would not be a daily driver, but would be a ranch truck, would likely put a flatbed on it. would give me more options to tow my bumper pull trailers and the gooses too, instead of my 1 ton CTD always.

id get 4 doors, a full back seat for taking kids, an interior that is not a pile of broken plastic, better mileage (current engine seems to be getting about 8 mpg, but 75% of its miles are offroad), and i wouldnt need to immediately add lockers. only thing id do is pull the OBA system i built on the current Dodge and fab up some new mounts and switches for the new truck.

only thing hard to swallow is the price. used its looking like they are running $28-35k.

what gears came in the 2014+ PWs? 3.92 or 4.56?

been thinking about getting rid of my mildly built '01 Ram 1500 ( Eaton Elocker front, 4.56s, Detroit locker rear, stock axles, upgraded rebuilt transmission after heavy towing destroyed it, very tired 360 magnum at 180k) and getting into a '14 PW. This would not be a daily driver, but would be a ranch truck, would likely put a flatbed on it. would give me more options to tow my bumper pull trailers and the gooses too, instead of my 1 ton CTD always.

id get 4 doors, a full back seat for taking kids, an interior that is not a pile of broken plastic, better mileage (current engine seems to be getting about 8 mpg, but 75% of its miles are offroad), and i wouldnt need to immediately add lockers. only thing id do is pull the OBA system i built on the current Dodge and fab up some new mounts and switches for the new truck.

only thing hard to swallow is the price. used its looking like they are running $28-35k.

what gears came in the 2014+ PWs? 3.92 or 4.56?
14+ is the 6.4 Hemi, 6sp auto, and 4.10s. Also radius arm front suspension and the 5-link coil spring rear.

I had a 16 Tradesman PW for a while and quite frankly miss it sometimes. Was also fully changed up.

Flatbed and GNs are gonna bring air bags into need and push the listed payload numbers. But mine was rock solid at the 7-8k trailer loads with bags, 37s, 5.13s, and Kings.

I've pulled at the stated 10k max and it did just fine. Not even sagged out like you'd think. Did have sag but wasn't horrible.

I am putting in bags in the future to utilize my GN more so I'd recommend them if pulling over 10k often.

For us poors that cannot afford a coil sprung rear. Are the leaf spring trucks softer than a typical 2500 of the same era?

Texas97

The only major complaint I hear/see with these trucks are the lockers fail and people add bypass switches.

The winches seem to fail based on climate/location. I know the white truck I posted above has a failed winch motor. I am probably going to grab it so I can trade up in the next year or so to a crew cab since they are only asking $7200USD for that truck.

It needs about 2k worth of body work BUT it’s a $12k truck all day long or more if I clean it up properly

Yes leaves are softer. Most winch fails are related to the built in by mopar thermal overload. And there's something else in the factory box I can't remember. A lot bypass that too.

I've had a non factory winch and locker bypass from get go so can't comment on the factory issues.

The only major complaint I hear/see with these trucks are the lockers fail and people add bypass switches.
On the 4th Gens, the control logic that doesn’t want to allow the engage command seems to be the biggest reason for the bypass kits. I do have a NIB bypass kit that uses the original knob for a 16 (and whatever years match) sitting around still.

Metal shavings on the actuator/magnet is the other complaint (wipe it off when doing diff oil change).

For us poors that cannot afford a coil sprung rear. Are the leaf spring trucks softer than a typical 2500 of the same era?

Texas97

The winches seem to fail based on climate/location. I know the white truck I posted above has a failed winch motor. I am probably going to grab it so I can trade up in the next year or so to a crew cab since they are only asking $7200USD for that truck.

It needs about 2k worth of body work BUT it’s a $12k truck all day long or more if I clean it up properly

So buy regular 6.4 hemi in year I want and upgrade traction to my specs?

So buy regular 6.4 hemi in year I want and upgrade traction to my specs?
I think I’d rather have a front locker over a rear? If I was going to buy a base truck and upgrade. If I’m really THAT stuck I think I’d want the pulling traction vs. the push. But an ARB is almost 1/4 the cost of the piece of shit I’m looking at.

Not sure what the factory winch plate is worth from the dealer or if it’s even available?

The good thing with the power wagon, you can attract all the overlanding bros with it if you decide to sell

I have the Power Wagon winch & winch cradle on my '07 2500 5.7L. The winch motor eroded from MI's salty roads. I replaced the motor with Warn's 74756 motor. I repalced the OEM solenoid pack with a "Temco 450 Amps DC Winch Motor. . . " from Amazon. I don't know which OEM controls are used, but I have Warn's remote controller. No issues with any of the above during the past 4 years.

I think I’d rather have a front locker over a rear? If I was going to buy a base truck and upgrade. If I’m really THAT stuck I think I’d want the pulling traction vs. the push. But an ARB is almost 1/4 the cost of the piece of shit I’m looking at.

Not sure what the factory winch plate is worth from the dealer or if it’s even available?

The good thing with the power wagon, you can attract all the overlanding bros with it if you decide to sell
I learned years ago, I can do 90% of what I need to with a Detroit in the rear. The other 10% the front makes it happen. No need for me for a selectable in the rear. Been driving that locked rear for 17 years now. I'd use a winch very little but might find something to use it for

I learned years ago, I can do 90% of what I need to with a Detroit in the rear. The other 10% the front makes it happen. No need for me for a selectable in the rear. Been driving that locked rear for 17 years now. I'd use a winch very little but might find something to use it for
Keep in mind you would likely lose the gearing too. Not sure how many tradesman packages came with 4.10s. Definitely couldn’t get 4.56 in other packages to my knowledge in the earlier generations

I have the Power Wagon winch & winch cradle on my '07 2500 5.7L. The winch motor eroded from MI's salty roads. I replaced the motor with Warn's 74756 motor. I repalced the OEM solenoid pack with a "Temco 450 Amps DC Winch Motor. . . " from Amazon. I don't know which OEM controls are used, but I have Warn's remote controller. No issues with any of the above during the past 4 years.
They are made by warn so any warn parts would work fine on them. They are reverse rotation M15000's, branded mopar and down rated to 12k... on the older models. Iirc the 5G uses standard warn branded winches, not rebranded mopar.

9D283E8D-16F8-4465-B29F-8121598CE6E4.jpeg
088FF56F-6EE4-4DF0-AFB6-C2823B8238AF.jpeg
B8CF9DEE-1FC0-4538-9B5D-4845796EDF2E.jpeg

I have a 21 PW 75th edition. I wanted a loaded gas 3/4 ton and this was the best build I could think of. It’s a far superior truck to my old 2nd gen Cummins in ever aspect, even with the neutered payload and tow rating, this truck walks all over my old one, even with twins and hopped up. But I’m getting older, and that has a lot to do with it. If I want sweet bro type truck I’ll just bobtail around the KW.:flipoff2:

Nice. Did you order? I see it isn't a sticked tcase. Heard it was an option but I won't have a PW without a sticked tcase.

Nice. Did you order? I see it isn't a sticked tcase. Heard it was an option but I won't have a PW without a sticked tcase.
No, but found the exact one I wanted, fully loaded except a sun roof. I figured with all the electronics it has anyhow, it really doesn’t matter.:laughing:

No, but found the exact one I wanted, fully loaded except a sun roof. I figured with all the electronics it has anyhow, it really doesn’t matter.:laughing:
Yeah, you know it really doesn't. I have owned two sticks, still own one. Only reason I miss it in my DD is to put my wallet or other shit in the shifter boot. It's nice not having it now.

But I've got a rare bird that doesn't have the full stupid center console and has the column shifter. Love the extra leg/knee room

It may drink fuel, that’s for sure, and not have a great tow rating. But it will tow with or better than a diesel if balanced right. The 4:10 and 6.4 with the 8spd is an animal. I’d like to swap the rear coils over to normal 2500 or add airbags. As I’m not going jeep style with it.

Bags are getting closer on my list too. Just pulled mildly built CJ to EJS with her and averaged 7.3 MPG doing 72-75 with horrible winds there and back through Kansas.

Buddy with a duramax and a 24ft enclosed with nothing but a Can Am and a KTM got an average of just over 12 so it's really not far behind.

Doing 65 with the rockies at 5k RPM in 2nd sure sucked the tank dry though but trans never got above 190 and oil temp stayed below 225.

I am making the jump to a 30ft lowboy GN since I now have the need to haul 2 Jeeps. I nabbed a 96 powerstroke for a steal thinking it would tow better but I'm finding, or more like hearing the PW will probably do it better although not on the fuel side I'm sure.

We'll see, I'm going to load her down and head to SMORR once the JKU is ready for a shake down run. Then do same trip with the OBS 7.3 and see how it compares.

20230510_172109.jpg

20230521_151741.jpg

Will be some combination of a CJ and JKU, LJ and JKU, or CJ and LJ which that last combo I'm not worried about.

Top Back Refresh