What's new

Which EFI setup ?

Leadfoot21

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Curious to see which EFI setup is the best bang for your buck for a SBF these days ! There are even more options now than the last time I looked a few years ago . Holley, edelbrock , fitech and I think summit or jegs has their own now .

I have a like new 82 F100 flare side with the original anemic 302 . I was offered a new crate engine 347 at a very good price and was thinking about stuffing it in there but I’m tired of carburetors .

Budget?

I have a like-new holley sniper in the box, pulled it for a carb. It ran pig rich. Since then I've been told to dial back a sniper 20% before first run. Also read it really needs the progressive linkage.

I have a Sniper on my Mustang. It has been flawless since the install.
I did have the car dyno tuned after install.
I did add the progressive linkage as mentioned above.

Budget?

I have a like-new holley sniper in the box, pulled it for a carb. It ran pig rich. Since then I've been told to dial back a sniper 20% before first run. Also read it really needs the progressive linkage.
Budget is tight at the moment but I’ll splurge for a good deal 🤣

In!

Been eyeing the Sniper setup for my 351 in the Ranger

Budget?

Any aftermarket EFI will need tuned to run well

I'm running a Fitech on my 460. It's had some small issues over the years, I could never get the IAC steps to set and stay were they were supposed to be set at. I originally bought the fuel command center to go with it but that died pretty quick, so I switched to an intank Walbro and have had no issues since. The very first cold start of the day was always a long crank. Nothing that really effected how it ran, always ran good. Then after about 5 years the ECU died, I put the new updated one on and it fixed all the little issues I had been having and it's been great since.

Friend tried the Holley sniper on the 360 in a 1ton ramcharger trail rig. Hated it, couldn’t get it to run right. Pulled it and replaced it with a Howell stand-alone unit.

My dad and I have been having pretty good luck with the FAST stuff.

Picked up the 347 this morning . Has a full MSD ignition setup on it already . Do all of the EFI systems require running their dizzy to be able to communicate ?

Picked up the 347 this morning . Has a full MSD ignition setup on it already . Do all of the EFI systems require running their dizzy to be able to communicate ?
No.

No, most just need a crank trigger signal and you can select the trigger wheel pattern in their software.

For a standalone I'd try to pick something that has local support unless you're willing to learn everything yourself. For example if a bunch of guys locally run Holley I'd go with that.

My choice, if i were starting from scratch with a SBF, would be a holley terminator X and a set of LS coil packs. A distributor is a bunch of pointless extra parts if you're using a modern standalone.

I had fitech on my jeepster and the cord to the screen kept fucking up, sold it and went to sniper and haven’t had an issue. It’s been running strong for almost 3 years. The whole thing is packaged great and the wire looks are easy to conceal. The one i bought said it didn’t include a fuel pressure regulator but when i opened the package it actually did include one. You can also use the bigger screens with the sniper too.

Lately I've been doing some research reading on Fueltech and Haltech. Those are pretty easy and well set up (a lot more beginner friendly than megasquirt anyway), but you can't beat the terminator x for being fast and straighforward to set up, though it has less tuning options than some of the others.

I have installed a few Snipers on Jeeps and old land cruisers. They work nicely, imho.

I've done them all. FITech, Sniper, FAST.

I prefer Holley for most systems.

No, most just need a crank trigger signal and you can select the trigger wheel pattern in their software.

For a standalone I'd try to pick something that has local support unless you're willing to learn everything yourself. For example if a bunch of guys locally run Holley I'd go with that.

My choice, if i were starting from scratch with a SBF, would be a holley terminator X and a set of LS coil packs. A distributor is a bunch of pointless extra parts if you're using a modern standalone.
OP needs to define max HP of the system.
My boss recently went balls deep on a Fitech 650hp system for his turboed 400 sbf.
I suggested he verify the boosted max of that system as he will be past it on the wastegate spring alone...

He told me it was fine and now he is buying a terminator X to fix his fuck up...

I would like to utilize the brand new ignition system that is on my 347. I also would like to avoid pulling anything off that I don’t have to . I am a career mechanic so it doesn’t have to have ease of install , durability and lack of maintenance to get in and go are most important to me . My intentions were to let the efi system pull ignition data from the MSD box which I read last night the fitech will do .

Max hp output in its current state is probably 500 crank hp.

I

Attachments

• 1A8B5C93-FF37-4132-9F15-744F4F174C06.jpeg
    1A8B5C93-FF37-4132-9F15-744F4F174C06.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Go read reviews on summit for Fitech and holley. Yes some are idiots.

The extra $ for Holley is worth it just for support. Can use you intake, and ignition system.

None of the system will fix a worn out motor or any issues it has (vac leak, ect), but efi systems are commonly blamed for it.

Holley works well for me. Custom tuning with holley is very easy.
TW9n6CF19q4pSfiHQbZCLHR=w1292-h969-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

I am doing a Holley Sniper and HyperSpark in a 62 F100 that has a 80's 302 in it, this weekend.

It will control spark, temp and fuel.

I would like to utilize the brand new ignition system that is on my 347. I also would like to avoid pulling anything off that I don’t have to . I am a career mechanic so it doesn’t have to have ease of install , durability and lack of maintenance to get in and go are most important to me . My intentions were to let the efi system pull ignition data from the MSD box which I read last night the fitech will do .

Max hp output in its current state is probably 500 crank hp.
OK sounds like you want to do a fuel only setup and control ignition timing with your existing distributor and MSD box. I'm assuming you're going multiport?

I'd look into a microsquirt in that case. Do some research using keywords "microsquirt fuel only". I believe you'll be running it batch fire with micro, not that you'll be giving up much if anything compared to sequential.

This is kind of a dated way to do things, but there's no reason you wouldn't be able to successfully make it happen for relatively cheap.

OK sounds like you want to do a fuel only setup and control ignition timing with your existing distributor and MSD box. I'm assuming you're going multiport?

I'd look into a microsquirt in that case. Do some research using keywords "microsquirt fuel only". I believe you'll be running it batch fire with micro, not that you'll be giving up much if anything compared to sequential.

This is kind of a dated way to do things, but there's no reason you wouldn't be able to successfully make it happen for relatively cheap.
No, I do want it to control ignition timing but what I’ve read is with the right modifications such as a distributor lock out you can still have ignition controlled through my current MSD setup .

I went through this recently on my Ranger with a 306. I had been running a Painless harness and A9L Mustang ECU for years. Decided to try Holley Terminator X on a suggestion from a tuner friend. Huge mistake for me. Took a tuner to come and get it running at all. Even after, all adjustments were a total PITA and required more effort than I wanted for a trail rig.
I ordered a Ron Francis harness from Summit, installed it, hooked up 4 wires and never looked back.

I'm wondering if anyone is still using MSD Atomic?
5-6 years ago, I really like them and knew a lot of people who had them.

Top Back Refresh