What's new

What's a fun but non-douche car to drive?

Ex traveling salesman here. I had a WRX... two things to consider, they suck in the snow. It blew me away how bad the AWD was, I incorrectly drank the coolaide on that one. Second thing, the seats suck, like cardboard.

my favorite was a Lincoln MKZ. It was nicer, safer, looked the part, and had better AWD for Northeast winters.

The new Defender is nice, with shitty gas mileage, comparable to your truck. Wife has one, and I might get myself a 2 door.

Agreed on the WRX seats/interior sucking...they are junk and I wouldn't want to do 40k/year in one.

The other problem with the WRX is it's too boy racer, not mature enough and people won't take you serious.

You need understated performance...funny enough, another option might be a Camry XSE v6 might even be a good option here. It's shockingly fast (over 300hp) but will actually give you 6-8 years easy peasy at your mileage.

My girlfriend and I both have done or currently do sales in the commercial HVAC/Automation Controls world. We put similar miles on our vehicles a year as you do. We have had the following vehicles at various times as sales vehicles:

Chevy Tahoe
Acura MDX (current)
Ford F150
Chevy Impala
Ford F250
Chevy 3500
Ford Taurus AWD
Ford Edge
Mercury Grand Marquis
Dodge 1500 (current)
Chevy 1500
Chevy 2500

I just ordered a new F150. 3.5 Ecoboost, 4wd, crew cab, 6.5 bed, fleet white. Nice truck, but understated in white. Will get 20ish in the highway. I like to fly under the radar.

Girfriend is tossing around getting a Volvo XC90, a GMC Yukon, or Ford Expedition for her next vehicle. I want to try the Volvo.

I know none of these are sporty. I go for comfort over sporty and my back thanks me. The Tesla intrigues me. If I didn't drive so many miles at a time, I would be more interested. I need something that will go 400-600 miles a day no problem. Ford is also coming out with a hybrid F150 that looks interesting. I will probably stick to half ton trucks as I end up hauling parts and tools a lot and it works well for this purpose. My girlfriend is partial to SUVs.

My girlfriend and I both have done or currently do sales in the commercial HVAC/Automation Controls world. We put similar miles on our vehicles a year as you do. We have had the following vehicles at various times as sales vehicles:

Chevy Tahoe
Acura MDX (current)
Ford F150
Chevy Impala
Ford F250
Chevy 3500
Ford Taurus AWD
Ford Edge
Mercury Grand Marquis
Dodge 1500 (current)
Chevy 1500
Chevy 2500

I just ordered a new F150. 3.5 Ecoboost, 4wd, crew cab, 6.5 bed, fleet white. Nice truck, but understated in white. Will get 20ish in the highway. I like to fly under the radar.

Girfriend is tossing around getting a Volvo XC90, a GMC Yukon, or Ford Expedition for her next vehicle. I want to try the Volvo.

I know none of these are sporty. I go for comfort over sporty and my back thanks me. The Tesla intrigues me. If I didn't drive so many miles at a time, I would be more interested. I need something that will go 400-600 miles a day no problem. Ford is also coming out with a hybrid F150 that looks interesting. I will probably stick to half ton trucks as I end up hauling parts and tools a lot and it works well for this purpose. My girlfriend is partial to SUVs.

Tesla isn’t the vehicle for you unless you drive by a supercharger a couple times during that 400-600 miles. I imagine that doesn’t happen in Wyoming.

get a 300 with the hemi. great salesman car. hauls ass, completely undetectable by cops (get a green one) corners nicely and you can burn them up at a low cost and the trade off to a new one easy and cheap and get them fixed anywhere...

Nobody mentioned a 5.9 Cummins so he can make fuel while on the drive?

The Charger is available in AWD, gets V8 power and comfort of a big car.

Screenshot_20210120-102550~2.png

1988 plymouth colt

holy shit. They do have a 400hp MKZ. That's your horse. $52,000 with all the trim and every option they have.

Last edited:
I drive 40k+ in a year, or at least used to and I bought a 2015 CC 5'7" bed Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4WD (great in snow and heavy rain). It's like an old school full-size sedan with an extra big trunk. It rides great, handles good enough to make twisty roads fun, and has delivered 24mpg over the 140k I've driven it. Coil springs, great nav, heated/cooled leather seats, good stereo, etc., it was $50k, but the mileage reimbursement I get from my job paid for it, and now it's paid off. I guess I got lucky in my decision, because the only thing I've heard is "nice truck". OR, if I'm just putting around the city, I usually take my 22yo 4Runner because it's easier to park and it helps keep miles off the Ram, but if it's an out of town drive I'm taking the truck every time.

I drive 40k+ in a year, or at least used to and I bought a 2015 CC 5'7" bed Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4WD (great in snow and heavy rain). It's like an old school full-size sedan with an extra big trunk. It rides great, handles good enough to make twisty roads fun, and has delivered 24mpg over the 140k I've driven it. Coil springs, great nav, heated/cooled leather seats, good stereo, etc., it was $50k, but the mileage reimbursement I get from my job paid for it, and now it's paid off. I guess I got lucky in my decision, because the only thing I've heard is "nice truck". OR, if I'm just putting around the city, I usually take my 22yo 4Runner because it's easier to park and it helps keep miles off the Ram, but if it's an out of town drive I'm taking the truck every time.

The bolded line is why I like driving the half ton trucks. I put a shell on them and use them like a big car. I am surprised the MPG isn't better from the diesel Dodge.

The Charger is available in AWD, gets V8 power and comfort of a big car.

Pretty sure the newer ones you can't get AWD + Hemi. only on the V6 (AWD)

I had an 11' AWD/Hemi Charger when I lived in CO, man it was fun blasting up I-70 to the resorts in the winter (great ski commuter). Hell more fun than a truck/jeep/ect...

You guys are high, WRX seats are friggin awesome...
Old one (2002) was great in the snow, the "new one" (2015) is less great in the snow but would probably be great with real snow tires.
New one is a sleeper without the STI wing IMO...
Good road trip car but rides pretty stiff. Sucks over frost heaves etc...

But I'd DD a Newer truck too if I could afford it.

Only way I'd drive an Audi/VW/BMW is under warranty...

Get any car but make sure your female assistant (preferably redhead) is eye candy, flirtous & friendly. What can go wrong getting proper income opportunities w/that kind of attention.

My wife bought a 2020 Kia Soul GT Line with turbo and sport mode...
​​​​I have grown quite fond of it.

So you're impressed by the "New way to roll"? I didn't take you to be somewhat a hamster-

Raptor, impressive like a sports car, practical like a truck

You guys are high, WRX seats are friggin awesome...
Old one (2002) was great in the snow, the "new one" (2015) is less great in the snow but would probably be great with real snow tires.
New one is a sleeper without the STI wing IMO...
Good road trip car but rides pretty stiff. Sucks over frost heaves etc...

But I'd DD a Newer truck too if I could afford it.

Only way I'd drive an Audi/VW/BMW is under warranty...

I'd agree on the WRX seats being hard and less-than-stellar, particularly for spending that many miles a year in. The ride of the WRX itself is pretty choppy for that much seat time too. The ride would be acceptable with cushier seats, or the hard seats OK with a more GT less boy-racer suspension. Doesn't change that I still kind of want one, truth is, I want an in-between, a WRX engine/trans with lower gears, bigger tires, smaller wheels, and the Impreza/Crosstrek wagon body. Crosstrek minus liftkit plus 75-100hp with a manual would pretty well hit the spot for me. The CVT really helps turn that car into a soulless accountantmobile.

Agreed on the German cars under warranty, and I'd throw Benz in there too (and their seats in with my dislike of WRX seats).

OP, do you have to drive your customers around (even just to/from lunch), or is this only for you?

every car is fun to drive if you drive it hard enough.

that said, buy a boat :smokin: panther, or whatever the 'new' fullsize RWD cars are, hell even a V8 FWD boat would be fun.

cruise on a fawkin' couch. buy a 20 year old Bentley.

I'd agree on the WRX seats being hard and less-than-stellar, particularly for spending that many miles a year in. The ride of the WRX itself is pretty choppy for that much seat time too. The ride would be acceptable with cushier seats, or the hard seats OK with a more GT less boy-racer suspension. Doesn't change that I still kind of want one, truth is, I want an in-between, a WRX engine/trans with lower gears, bigger tires, smaller wheels, and the Impreza/Crosstrek wagon body. Crosstrek minus liftkit plus 75-100hp with a manual would pretty well hit the spot for me. The CVT really helps turn that car into a soulless accountantmobile.

Agreed on the German cars under warranty, and I'd throw Benz in there too (and their seats in with my dislike of WRX seats).

OP, do you have to drive your customers around (even just to/from lunch), or is this only for you?

A Crosstreck with WRX power and a MT6 would be absolutely bitchin.
There is one I see around me with a small (1-2") lift and all terrains that looks sweet.
We drove one with a cvt when shopping for my wifes car and it was indeed soul less...

She ended up with an Outback with MT6 and it is a nice riding car, but a bit slow...

ETA I've done 13 hours in a day in my 15 WRX and it was fine for me...

Last edited:
dumb question, perhaps...

Do you take clients in the vehicle?
Any of them potentially have physical issues "falling into" or "climbing out" of a car?

Most of the sales weasels that stop by here are in 1/2 ton trucks of domestic flavor. Wastewater industry for reference. They need to occasionally haul pumps, valves, fittings, etc but mostly they want to show up on a construction site when their equipment is being installed and look the part.

ETA: If I were just driving down the road to make calls, I would consider the new mustangs. My wife has one and I love to drive that car. Comfy seats, stupid fast, and isn't considered high end by anyone I know.

The bolded line is why I like driving the half ton trucks. I put a shell on them and use them like a big car. I am surprised the MPG isn't better from the diesel Dodge.

Men lie about two things, the size of their cawk and the mpg of their diesel truck.:rolleyes:

Mine has 3.92 gears, and I am usually over 80 on the freeway, and a good chunk of my route from Phoenix to Vegas is mountains. Driving from here to Yuma and back I can get 27, but it's ruler flat. If I slow down the mpg will go up, but I'm happy with an honest 24 which is 7mpg better than my 3400cc 4000lb 4Runner, not bad for 6000lb truck IMO.

Im sure someone already said it but Im not reading everything to find out. So in case it hasnt been said the first thing you should get is a pair of balls. Then a little bit of who gives a fuck what other people think and then maybe a little bit of dignity and drive what you want like a grown man instead of asking what other people think you should drive.

Fuck first it was garage journal with douchebags asking what they should drive or what color they should paint their "man cave" who the fuck calls their shop a "man cave". Now its coming here. Fuck you and fuck everyone that has to be told what to drive or what gun to get or what fucking color to like. Fucking drive what you like. People probably think youre a douchebag for driving a jacked up f350 as a fucking salesman. God damn I fucking hate people.

Im sure someone already said it but Im not reading everything to find out. So in case it hasnt been said the first thing you should get is a pair of balls. Then a little bit of who gives a fuck what other people think and then maybe a little bit of dignity and drive what you want like a grown man instead of asking what other people think you should drive.

Fuck first it was garage journal with douchebags asking what they should drive or what color they should paint their "man cave" who the fuck calls their shop a "man cave". Now its coming here. Fuck you and fuck everyone that has to be told what to drive or what gun to get or what fucking color to like. Fucking drive what you like. People probably think youre a douchebag for driving a jacked up f350 as a fucking salesman. God damn I fucking hate people.

As a person I fucking hate you and wouldn't walk across the street to piss on you if you were on fire.

BUT

You have a point here.

400hp awd Lincoln town car looking thing. If I remember right they are around 50k with massaging seats and every option you could dream of.

Top Back Refresh