What's new

What's a fun but non-douche car to drive?

JayMcJay

Member Number
Loc
West Michigan
I'm a salesman who drives about 40k miles per year, so I prefer to be driving something I like. But I also stack 40k miles a year on a car, so I wear them out (or depreciate them) pretty quick.
Right now I'm driving a 2019 CCLB F350 4x4 powerstroke, which probably doesn't make the most sense, but I sure do like it. It's a little premature, but with all the miles I drive I have plenty of time to think about what the next ride is going to be.

A while back I was driving an old Porsche Boxster that I had un-totaled, and I loved it. I was at work one day and saw some slick guy with shiny loafers, creased bluejeans and sportcoat getting out of a 911 and thought 'look at that douche'. Turns out he was the new VP of sales, and he was indeed a douche. I loved driving that Boxster and even thought it was actually a low-buck ride I always kinda wondered if people thought I was a douche for driving it. I'd love to get another Porsche, but I still have that douche perception concern.

I have been looking into Tesla's a little. I'm not exactly the target customer since I usually roll in a big diesel truck, but the thought of low cost per mile is appealing, AWD is a thing, and they seem to have good acceleration numbers, etc. No idea how their batteries hold up in the cold, which is a factor here in Michigan.

I have thought about getting a Subaru WRX, since they seem pretty fun, AWD is standard, and fairly cheap overall.

So what does Irate think I should drive? I live in the frozen north so 4x4 or AWD is certainly a plus. I managed to make the numbers work for me on a new super duty, so anything that's reasonably within the $70k range could be an option.

I'm a salesman who drives about 40k miles per year, so I prefer to be driving something I like. But I also stack 40k miles a year on a car, so I wear them out (or depreciate them) pretty quick.
Right now I'm driving a 2019 CCLB F350 4x4 powerstroke, which probably doesn't make the most sense, but I sure do like it. It's a little premature, but with all the miles I drive I have plenty of time to think about what the next ride is going to be.

A while back I was driving an old Porsche Boxster that I had un-totaled, and I loved it. I was at work one day and saw some slick guy with shiny loafers, creased bluejeans and sportcoat getting out of a 911 and thought 'look at that douche'. Turns out he was the new VP of sales, and he was indeed a douche. I loved driving that Boxster and even thought it was actually a low-buck ride I always kinda wondered if people thought I was a douche for driving it. I'd love to get another Porsche, but I still have that douche perception concern.

I have been looking into Tesla's a little. I'm not exactly the target customer since I usually roll in a big diesel truck, but the thought of low cost per mile is appealing, AWD is a thing, and they seem to have good acceleration numbers, etc. No idea how their batteries hold up in the cold, which is a factor here in Michigan.

I have thought about getting a Subaru WRX, since they seem pretty fun, AWD is standard, and fairly cheap overall.

So what does Irate think I should drive? I live in the frozen north so 4x4 or AWD is certainly a plus. I managed to make the numbers work for me on a new super duty, so anything that's reasonably within the $70k range could be an option.

Fuck what other people think, get what ever you want.

Although Tesla is the doucheiest car you can drive.

My wife bought a 2020 Kia Soul GT Line with turbo and sport mode. It is fun as hell to drive and cheap with all creature comforts. I was not excited when she bought, but it is a great little car that gets out of its own way. I have grown quite fond of it.

hmmm scared of what other people think of you...
yup, you needs you one of them four door pickups

My wife bought a 2020 Kia Soul GT Line with turbo and sport mode. It is fun as hell to drive and cheap with all creature comforts. I was not excited when she bought, but it is a great little car that gets out of its own way. I have grown quite fond of it.

dunno about the '20s but the older hamstercars are a-ok in my book

mid-sized hatchback, could probably fit a refrigerator in the back and when you aren't testing the bump stops it should get 35mpg

I thought the same thing about the tesla's..... then i bought a model 3 on impulse and i fukin love it. We like it so much that we are selling the 3 to order a model S. The cold does decrease your range by about 25% though. We pay .06 per kwh for electricity which makes it stupid cheap to operate. My work commute is 129 miles each way, and the car makes it easy. DGAF what others think.

This /thread
Saying that I want an AWD kia stinger.

​​​​​

I was thinking this too...AWD sports car with decent power but no brand snobbery like the german brands or other luxury brands. You basically need to go with whatever Japanese or Korean non-premium (no Lexus/Acura, although you could maybe get away with Genesis) vehicle you might like.

I thought the same thing about the tesla's..... then i bought a model 3 on impulse and i fukin love it. We like it so much that we are selling the 3 to order a model S. The cold does decrease your range by about 25% though. We pay .06 per kwh for electricity which makes it stupid cheap to operate. My work commute is 129 miles each way, and the car makes it easy. DGAF what others think.

that auto-drive thing looks WAY tempting
Only got a couple miles experience in a customer's subaru with lane-holding and that was way neat with it just steering for you. Car being able to navigate stoplights and traffic for you? fuck yeah

[486 said:
;n278984]

dunno about the '20s but the older hamstercars are a-ok in my book

mid-sized hatchback, could probably fit a refrigerator in the back and when you aren't testing the bump stops it should get 35mpg

Souls were my favorite rental cars by far when I was a road warrior. Comfy, not big enough to be a headache for parking, and still carried a pile of gear around.

That said, my '17 WRX was a hoot to drive as well.

I was thinking this too...AWD sports car with decent power but no brand snobbery like the german brands or other luxury brands. You basically need to go with whatever Japanese or Korean non-premium (no Lexus/Acura, although you could maybe get away with Genesis) vehicle you might like.

My MIL boyfriend has one and it's a NICE car and hauls ass, it's crazy how far kia has come. I would be a bit concerned about long term reliability of the twin turbos, but I may be over thinking it. If we were in the market for a new car we would seriously be looking at one.

Ever watch Everyday Driver? Give it look. It might help with your decision.

Amg merc, BMW m or diesel with mods a few guys can pint you in the right direction on that or something with a hellcat. Driving a cclb if you don't need it is dumb, thats coming from someone who just bought one. The porche 718 is supposed to be nice, don't know how much crap you need to take with you might be a bit cramped.

What I learned in my 20 years with a 911 was that the enthusiasts were cool, but the douches that bought them for image were douches.

I daily a CCLB because I do need to own a CCLB, and it was a decision between upgrading the old 2001 CCLB to a 2019 CCLB or keeping the 2001 CCLB as the family/tow pig and driving a cheap sedan or SUV on the daily. I chose to upgrade to the new super duty on this go-around, but don't plan on running a CCLB as the saleswagon forever. It clearly doesn't make the most sense. It sucks to park, it's hard to navigate in traffic, and gets pretty rotten fuel economy. But it is quiet, comfy, and has room for customers in the cab and customer parts in the bed.

I hadn't given the Kia's much thought....might need to look into them.

Buying a new 2019 was a downgrade from a 2001.

Bunch you're in Michigan, so I guess you base vehicles off how many times you weld on new rockers.

i rode in my boss and if i was looking to throw money away on a luxury sedan, it would make the list. only thing that makes you a douche is the white interior and running your mouth that you have one.

I daily a CCLB because I do need to own a CCLB, and it was a decision between upgrading the old 2001 CCLB to a 2019 CCLB or keeping the 2001 CCLB as the family/tow pig and driving a cheap sedan or SUV on the daily. I chose to upgrade to the new super duty on this go-around, but don't plan on running a CCLB as the saleswagon forever. It clearly doesn't make the most sense. It sucks to park, it's hard to navigate in traffic, and gets pretty rotten fuel economy. But it is quiet, comfy, and has room for customers in the cab and customer parts in the bed.

I hadn't given the Kia's much thought....might need to look into them.

why not a tahoe or explorer? the few people i have known who have the ecoboost AWD exploders like them.

What kind of sales are you in? If it's anything related to the oilfield, don't get a Tesla. If I had somebody roll in with an electric car and try to sell me shit, I'd laugh.

My 2001 was on it's second cab and box. Having owned both, the 2019 was not a downgrade. I loved that old truck, but the new one is silent (inside), powerful, stable, etc. No experience with long term reliability at this point, but my buddy has a 280k mile example from Texas and it's been very reliable for him so far.

I sell custom automation equipment. Largely in the automotive realm, but we build equipment for 'stuff' too. At this point most of my customers have done work for Tesla / Lucid / Rivian so showing up one of those wouldn't be a deal breaker. But yea, if I sold stuff to guys on the oilfield I'd just replace my F350 with another one for sure.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh