What's new

What type of upgraded control arms are available for first gen Tacoma?

Yea that aint goona happen:lmao:

Low mile xtra cab 3.4/auto wouldnt be to hard to find though

Yea that aint goona happen:lmao:

Low mile xtra cab 3.4/auto wouldnt be to hard to find though

Already have an extra cab and doublecab. Just need the regular cab to fill out the collection.

I do wish mine was an extra cab.

buddy likes his, hes got a lot of fancy bits on the front

1694464071530.png

Lil'John have you spent any money yet? fixed the problem? or just ignoring it?
Yes on all.:lmao:

I'm going to address it. I'm looking at what will help me the most in terms of upgrades with eye toward road performance.
Lil'John - call total chaos and order the following to start the party.
<snip list>

order these, since youre pinching pennies get a 2.0 instead of a 2.5. these are fully rebuildable so you can get parts and service them yourself.
<snip more good info>

Great info appreciated. I just replaced the steering bushings(Jan 1 this year)

I'm not one to pinch pennies if there is a "known" gain. I don't want to think of the "over spending" I've done for upper end items on projects.:shaking: $2k on a set of struts is hard to justify.

I'll go through your list and see what I'm looking at.

I can't find my Jan 1 receipt so I don't recall if I got new ball joints all the way around or just passenger side. I know most of the focus was on the passenger side which included a new CV along with upper and lower ball joints. This was back in Jan 1 this year(circles are blown ball joints):
blownFront.jpg

Sun was fighting me so I will probably head out again in 90 minutes.
Here is a driverside:
TacoDrive1.jpg

Here is driver side to show tire outside edge that doesn't reflect well that the top doesn't kick inbound enough to eat the inside edge:
TacoDrive2.jpg

Here is a passenger side:
TacoPass1.jpg

Yes, the strut bushings are THAT bad. Yes, I can feel it while driving as well as the popping.

Here is a driverside:
TacoDrive1.jpg

Here is driver side to show tire outside edge that doesn't reflect well that the top doesn't kick inbound enough to eat the inside edge:
TacoDrive2.jpg

TacoPass1.jpg

Yes, the strut bushings are THAT bad. Yes, I can feel it while driving as well as the popping.
Your lower shock bushings are wasted.

After market arms will give it more caster so that when you lift it slightly it will still have some caster. The main issue with the fronts on these is the caster gain/anti dive. The gain rate would be great for something with 4" of travel. Cutting the upper mount out and getting rid of most of the caster gain works wonders on these.

Your lower shock bushings are wasted.
TacoHahaStrut.jpg

You may be onto something:flipoff2:

I've seen the fronts referred to as struts. Those bushings are under 1 year old Delphi brand(Sept 25). But if you look at an earlier picture of worn tires, the bushing before those Delphis aren't collapsed. The struts/shocks themselves still pass the 'push down' test; no cycling rebound.

TacoHahaStrut.jpg

You may be onto something:flipoff2:

I've seen the fronts referred to as struts. Those bushings are under 1 year old Delphi brand(Sept 25). But if you look at an earlier picture of worn tires, the bushing before those Delphis aren't collapsed. The struts/shocks themselves still pass the 'push down' test; no cycling rebound.
As a former shock engineer, those are not struts. The OEMs referred to them as coil on shock. A strut bolts to the spindle, such that it is the upper an arm. But call them whatever you want.

If they are dry, they are probably good. There is a plastic piece inside. The rubber that has probably collapsed in the bushing. It’s actually very hard to get a replacement bushing that will stand up to the spring force in a Tacoma/tundra.

It’s actually very hard to get a replacement bushing that will stand up to the spring force in a Tacoma/tundra.
I was going to suggest this in one of his other threads, but wasn't sure that it would hold up.

I was going to suggest this in one of his other threads, but wasn't sure that it would hold up.
It won’t. The only things I found that hold up are OEM bushings(which he has already blown out.) and mono balls.

These are actually what was on the green Tacoma. I said icon because I didn’t know if people remember Donahoe. If you put some 450 pound Springs on these, they will work very well. Much better than as delivered.

These are actually what was on the green Tacoma. I said icon because I didn’t know if people remember Donahoe. If you put some 450 pound Springs on these, they will work very well. Much better than as delivered.

450 seems very light. I think they had 650’s on them when I removed them. Im running 700# OME on bilsteins now

Exactly. I feel that Donahoe/icon over spring. A friend of mine at Eibach swapped to 450s if I recall correct, and was so happy.

Edit: iirc stock is 300-325ish lb/in

Last edited:
Exactly. I feel that Donahoe/icon over spring. A friend of mine at Eibach swapped to 450s if I recall correct, and was so happy.

Edit: iirc stock is 300-325ish lb/in

tried 650# on the bilsteins - it couldn't hold the front up. Was mush. Granted, skids, winch, etc, etc... 450 just seems way, way light to me!

Here is a driverside:
TacoDrive1.jpg

TacoDrive2.jpg

TacoPass1.jpg

Are there sleeves in the bushings?

Have any pictures of the upper a-arms/spindle/frame mounts?

Top Back Refresh