What's new

Welding fixture table

I have made lots out of Aluminum flat bar. Fast on the cnc mill to make, and nice for when your working with stainless steels or anythign else you don't want to possibly mark up. Thick Aluminum angle also works good with some slotted holes milled in it for setting things up.

I will have to make a few of them out of Aluminum drop I have in the garage. Probably make about 10 of them. The 90 degree angle pieces is a good idea that should fit on the 1in thick drops I have.

Knocked out 25 blanks short bolts and will turn 15 more. Depending on material left I may turn some long universal ones. Going to make enough that I never worry about running out. Each one is about a 3.5 minute cycle time. Lathe could be pushed harder but no reason. Wish I had a tool changer, bar feeder and mist collector already. 40 would cost about $2200 vs $150
25x batch small.jpg

Also picked up qty 2 - 5c step collets for holding the bolts inside the mill for drilling and tapping operation plus the holes for the bearings. Should be alot better than my shitty threaded rod in the 4th axis.
Step 5c small.jpg

This weekend I'll have more pictures showing the lathe setup and maybe a video or two. Also placed a order for a Caswell mega black kit but nothing has shipped yet.

I borrowed 3 different bolts from work to show the difference in sizes between all the options:Build Pro 5/8 bolt, 3/4in fireball bolt and a Baileigh Industrial 28mm bolt . Threw in a 1/2 bolt and a 5C collet.

The 5/8 does feel like a toy compared to all the others but works just fine for the minor welding we do on the table.
Bolt sizes.JPG

I had to use a spacer to allow the bolt to sit flat against the chuck due to the radius on bottom side. EMT nut worked perfect.
20221209_161708.jpg

Face milled, Drill, chamfer, tap and outside radius.
20221209_162131.jpg

Now I probably fucked up putting the radius on the last step since I needed to hold the bolt in a machined 5C step collet. I had a few launch from the collet before I added the hose clamp around the dam thing to stop the 5c from spreading.
20221210_100554.jpg

Also picked up a Pneumatic 5c chuck for drill and tapping the front of the bolt. Will need some TLC but will be a life saver for speed of swapping parts.
Pneumatic 5c.JPG

Might be time to look into building a gang tool setup on the Haas TL-1 to allow more of this work to be done. Monday the Caswell Blackoxide kit will be showing up.

Though I'd bump this back to the top. I've got a heavy-duty bad ass table base that's 2-4" shy of 36x48" and just needs some casters and a top attached to it. Weldtables.com has a free shipping sale until Saturday at midnight (which would probably be $150 or more). Was looking at ordering this:

It's a 36x48" fab table top at $900 (just the top, doesn't come with the frame/base like in the pics) but it's only 3/16" material, 4" tall if measuring the side pieces. For only about $300 more, I could go with:

Still 36x48" but 1/4" material for all, and 6" tall if you measure the side pieces. Price is ~$900 for the first table I linked to, ~$1,300 for the second table, but second table is still only 1/4" thick. Upgrading to 3/8" or 1/2" on the second table bumps you up to $2,000 or $2,600 respectively. I'm kind of thinking 1/4" would be fine for me, so looking at the $1,200 option in the second link I posted.

Mostly drivel aka thinking aloud here, but has anyone else bought table tops from Weldtables? I think they've marketed a bunch via youtube and IG but never seen one in person and would be interested in opinions from anyone on here more than randoms I see on social media:beer:

Though I'd bump this back to the top. I've got a heavy-duty bad ass table base that's 2-4" shy of 36x48" and just needs some casters and a top attached to it. Weldtables.com has a free shipping sale until Saturday at midnight (which would probably be $150 or more). Was looking at ordering this:

It's a 36x48" fab table top at $900 (just the top, doesn't come with the frame/base like in the pics) but it's only 3/16" material, 4" tall if measuring the side pieces. For only about $300 more, I could go with:

Still 36x48" but 1/4" material for all, and 6" tall if you measure the side pieces. Price is ~$900 for the first table I linked to, ~$1,300 for the second table, but second table is still only 1/4" thick. Upgrading to 3/8" or 1/2" on the second table bumps you up to $2,000 or $2,600 respectively. I'm kind of thinking 1/4" would be fine for me, so looking at the $1,200 option in the second link I posted.

Mostly drivel aka thinking aloud here, but has anyone else bought table tops from Weldtables? I think they've marketed a bunch via youtube and IG but never seen one in person and would be interested in opinions from anyone on here more than randoms I see on social media:beer:

1/4 for a table top seems way to thin for me. Only takes getting carried away once to screw that whole top up.

Coworker picked up a Lagmuir systems Arcflat table off facebook that he enjoys. 24in x 36in x 3/8in thick cast iron table for $675 seems like a much better deal. Bolt 2 of them together to form a bigger table. Use coupon code AFLEGS for a free set of legs for each table.

1/4 for a table top seems way to thin for me. Only takes getting carried away once to screw that whole top up.

Coworker picked up a Lagmuir systems Arcflat table off facebook that he enjoys. 24in x 36in x 3/8in thick cast iron table for $675 seems like a much better deal. Bolt 2 of them together to form a bigger table. Use coupon code AFLEGS for a free set of legs for each table.
Dang....I did not need to spend 700- 1400..... But that seems like easy mode for having an OK welding table? Not sure I see anything else close in decent price? 3/8 does seem thin, but cast doesn't deform in the holes easily?

I'm definitely liking what I see from the Arcflat tables. I had a 3/16 table from Weldtables.com. it was cool, but definitely light duty. My current table is 3/8 thick. I would still consider it light to medium-ish duty. I can easily deform the surface and holes if I clamp something down tight...

@ducHow are your custom ball lock bolts working out? I'm thinking of making my own, too

Here's the process for bolting the Arcflat tables together and maintaining flatness: https://assets.langmuirsystems.com/img/arcflat/ArcFlat_Precision-Bolt-Kit-Instructions.pdf
I wish they offered a larger size, but I feel like if I'm spending the money I'd rather have the top be one piece. The cast iron would be great though. If anyone buys those and bolts them together, it'd be interesting to hear how they turned out...

1/4" is way thinner than I'd want, but at the same time I bet it wouldn't be too bad with all of the 6" tall supports underneath - obviously a lot more resilient than an unsupported piece of 1/4." I have a 3/4" table for beating/cutting/grinding it just isn't flat, so that'd probably do the trick. Going to hold off for now though and plan to go with something thicker later when I actually have room to put it somewhere:homer:

fabblock-kit-certiflat-fb3648-fabblock-u-weld-kit-modular-welding-table-5_5000x copy.jpg

Dang....I did not need to spend 700- 1400..... But that seems like easy mode for having an OK welding table? Not sure I see anything else close in decent price? 3/8 does seem thin, but cast doesn't deform in the holes easily?

The cast iron will break away and not bend I believe. I really see the tables as a investment for the future. This shit doesnt go bad in 10 years.

I'm definitely liking what I see from the Arcflat tables. I had a 3/16 table from Weldtables.com. it was cool, but definitely light duty. My current table is 3/8 thick. I would still consider it light to medium-ish duty. I can easily deform the surface and holes if I clamp something down tight...

@ducHow are your custom ball lock bolts working out? I'm thinking of making my own, too

The bolts function really well but I wasnt happy with the drill and tapping operation since the fixture was iffy. Some turned out well and some are off center a bit. Almost pisses me off enough to redo them. Im adding a gang tooling plate on the lathe to allow the drill and tapping on the knurled knob to complete all in the lathe. I should be updating the Haas TL thread sometime this week with the plan.

Here's the process for bolting the Arcflat tables together and maintaining flatness: https://assets.langmuirsystems.com/img/arcflat/ArcFlat_Precision-Bolt-Kit-Instructions.pdf
I wish they offered a larger size, but I feel like if I'm spending the money I'd rather have the top be one piece. The cast iron would be great though. If anyone buys those and bolts them together, it'd be interesting to hear how they turned out...

1/4" is way thinner than I'd want, but at the same time I bet it wouldn't be too bad with all of the 6" tall supports underneath - obviously a lot more resilient than an unsupported piece of 1/4." I have a 3/4" table for beating/cutting/grinding it just isn't flat, so that'd probably do the trick. Going to hold off for now though and plan to go with something thicker later when I actually have room to put it somewhere:homer:

fabblock-kit-certiflat-fb3648-fabblock-u-weld-kit-modular-welding-table-5_5000x copy.jpg

Check facebook or craigslist for a acorn table or fixture table. Some are in good condition but heavy as shit.

Check facebook or craigslist for a acorn table or fixture table. Some are in good condition but heavy as shit.
I have a 60" x 60" x 6-1/2" thick one I snagged in Dec '20 for $1100 off a listing on eBay where they had 140 of them that needed to be gone so they could demo a building that the floor was comprised of them.
Its a very useful table, but not nearly as versatile as what have been discussed in this thread with the ability to quickly lock parts and fixtures, as well as the hole spacing and flatness. For the life of me, I couldn't find anyone that would blanchard grind mine. My intention was to Blanchard grind it and then attach a piece of tapped fixture type plate to it to essentially make it a hybrid version of what these tables here are. I bent my own gooseneck dies and started to build some cam type toggle clamps but got side tracked.

And yes.. fawking heavy. My table with the base is over 3500 lbs. Its nice sometimes when you need something really solid to work against though.

20221221_192117.jpg

^ That photo is a terrible scale reference. Thats Columbian 206 -M2 vise holding 6" underground conduit (7.5" OD).
The table grid is 1.75" square holes.

0308211919 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have a 60" x 60" x 6-1/2" thick one I snagged in Dec '20 for $1100 off a listing on eBay where they had 140 of them that needed to be gone so they could demo a building that the floor was comprised of them.
Its a very useful table, but not nearly as versatile as what have been discussed in this thread with the ability to quickly lock parts and fixtures, as well as the hole spacing and flatness. For the life of me, I couldn't find anyone that would blanchard grind mine. My intention was to Blanchard grind it and then attach a piece of tapped fixture type plate to it to essentially make it a hybrid version of what these tables here are. I bent my own gooseneck dies and started to build some cam type toggle clamps but got side tracked.

And yes.. fawking heavy. My table with the base is over 3500 lbs. Its nice sometimes when you need something really solid to work against though.

20221221_192117.jpg

^ That photo is a terrible scale reference. Thats Columbian 206 -M2 vise holding 6" underground conduit (7.5" OD).
The table grid is 1.75" square holes.

0308211919 (1).jpg
Your not going to be happy with a thin table after having a acorn table of that size. You need at least a 1/2" thick table but more like 3/4" thick. In the past I have used PGI for large surface grinding or milling on parts.

I would love to have room for a acorn table for random stuff.

Also a few clamps options for the platen table.

Finished adding 41 bolts for the table and now working on finishing up the universal short bolts. Probably the last thing I will build for the table.

Short bolt.jpg

The universal short bolt has taken alot more time to make. I really need to tool the lathe up more.
Majority of parts re.jpg

Still need to finish machining the threaded bolt and tap the collar for the set screw
90percent re.jpg

Finished adding 41 bolts for the table and now working on finishing up the universal short bolts. Probably the last thing I will build for the table.

Short bolt.jpg

The universal short bolt has taken alot more time to make. I really need to tool the lathe up more.
Majority of parts re.jpg

Still need to finish machining the threaded bolt and tap the collar for the set screw
90percent re.jpg

Make me want to machine some

Solid work Duc , nicely done.

Thanks. Some of them have some chatter marks since I didnt change out the insert in time. Didnt help the part was hanging out 4.5 inches while the final diameter .868 inch.

Make me want to machine some

Machining the parts were alot cheaper.

Lengths included waste from machining
Main body 1.25 Inch Dia Stock = $0.95 x 4 inches = $3.80
Collar used 1.50 Inch Dia stock = $1.35 x 1.25 inches = $1.69
Knurl knob used 1.50 Inch Dia stock = $1.35 x 1 inch = $1.35
3/8-16 x 4in bolt = $0.82
Set screw = $0.35
Total = $8.01

This doesnt include my billable rate from work since I dont get overtime as a wanna be mechanical engineer. Now a store bought one cost $78 before shipping. So a saving of $70 per bolt. I didnt realize i made the long universal and not a short one till I looked up the price. I should have made the short ones as universal also to avoid machining all fixtures to the perfect thickness.
1683596963993.png

They don't have to be "perfect" thickness, FYI. There is definitely a grip range. I can put a ~1/16" shim under the standard tooling and still get it to clamp with the regular ball lock bolts. Still, universal would still be nice, too!

Nice work though!

Weeeelllllll this is IRATE 4X4. We "jumped" it out of the semi trailer onto the dirt ramp.:lmao::flipoff2:
Tinstar Super interesting method to unload your table, and A LOT OF WORK. Just curious if you have a video of the unloading onto the dirt ramp lol. 😆

Tinstar Super interesting method to unload your table, and A LOT OF WORK. Just curious if you have a video of the unloading onto the dirt ramp lol. 😆
Not much work involved. Already had a dirt pile. I ran the backhoe up n back on the dirt pile to make the ramp. Put the yellow tow strap you see in the pic on and backed up. Fairly uneventful.

I don't remember doing a video but maybe we did, I'll look and I'll ask the other guy.

Not much work involved. Already had a dirt pile. I ran the backhoe up n back on the dirt pile to make the ramp. Put the yellow tow strap you see in the pic on and backed up. Fairly uneventful.

I don't remember doing a video but maybe we did, I'll look and I'll ask the other guy.
Yeah pretty neat, creative, and resourceful! Would love to watch that video if you find it!

I recently put together a lagmuir table. It will mainly be used for parts cleaning off the plasma table and smaller or dirty fixture/welding work to keep my big fixture table cleaner. It rolls in and out of the garage daily, I had plans for leveling feet and a bunch of other attachments and features but I made the legs and immediately started using it as is. You can adjust the height up down about 14 inches, I just lift it with the forklift and tighten the jam screws.

410623110_10119307460072178_7253980919943328278_n.jpg

411042924_10119307458370588_1343492248092833833_n.jpg

I bought a 5'x10' 1/2 thick drilled and tapped welding table from craigslist for $175, this thing is so heavy I needed a loader to unload it

Top Back Refresh